Red light and speed detector cameras

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-09, 10:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Red light and speed detector cameras

In areas that use red light cameras and speed detectors on the lights, wouldn't it be interesting to find out how much license plate theft has skyrocketed? I do not know about everyone else, but I would problably take plates off of a car that looks quite a bit like mine, if I lived in such an area. This seems like a no-brainer for me. I do stop for red lights, but don't always notice how fast I am driving.

Beer 4U2 but not when I'm driving, thanks. Did quite a bit of drunk driving when I was younger but never got caught doing it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-09, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Don't know about Connecticut, but in Florida that's a 3rd degree felony.

Old 05-23-09, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah..nothing like upgrading from a speeding ticket (misdemeanor) to a felony violation...

Uh..no brainer is an appropriate description.

Old 05-23-09, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Yeah..nothing like upgrading from a speeding ticket (misdemeanor) to a felony violation...

Uh..no brainer is an appropriate description.
Hey, gun
Don't be so hard on us--you know a speeding ticket is only a civil infraction---if it was a misdemeanor --- i would not
have a CCW today...............
Have a great weekend.........................

Old 05-23-09, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh true..probably should have said misdemeaner TRAFFIC violation, thats how their classified out here...as opposed to a felony traffic violation.

Though intentionally taking and displaying false plates may fall in the criminal codes...not sure.

Old 05-23-09, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There has got to be a polarized plate cover or micro screen that would allow the plate to be read from ground level while blocking the angled view of an overhead camera.
Some actually take a snap of the front of the vehicle as well. Smile, you're on candid cop camera.

Old 05-23-09, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Most places have put laws on the books about putting any sort of cover on the plate. Not sure how the camera's work out here..since we only have rear plates. But we still have laws about the frames, can't cover any of the numbers, letters, or state makings.

Old 05-23-09, 02:58 PM
Is there a law saying you cannot put plates on painted side facing the car? I have no idea what the penalty for plate theft is here in my state. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if those cameras recieved bullet wounds or smarties spray paint the lenses of the cameras. A paintball gun should work good for that. In my state we gotta have an idiotic front plate on even if there are no holes drilled into the front bumper. Rubbing the painted surface on pavement does rough it up nice, but not sure if it would screw up the cameras. My town doesn't have any stoplights so it's not exactly an issue immediately surrounding me.

Are there any devices similar to radar detectors that could fry speed detectors?

Old 05-23-09, 04:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless mistaken, most states can give a ticket for tags that aren't readable or damaged/defaced... but if you kept your car covered in mud [including tag] you might could beat the cameras

Old 05-24-09, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Back when they put renewal sticker on the plates instead of the windshield I had my plates stolen a couple of times. Second time I used a dozen or so pop rivets to fasten it on. That seemed to discourage them.

What I found so frustrating was that the police refused to take a report of stolen plates.They just didn't care. In my frustration at one point I asked but what if they are used in a crime? Their answer: "When the officers come to arrest you just explain the plates were stolen." Yeah, right, and the Tooth Fairy is real.

Old 05-24-09, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
NOP yep they took the vandalism thing into account as well. Laws on the books about defacing or damaging the cameras are stonger than just putting your name in spraypaint on a sign.

Down in Phoenix they have a whole bunch of these things on a stretch of road there. As in like 7-10 over a 10 mile stretch.

I actually saw one a few months back between my town and Hoover Dam on the way to Vegas...they had signs 1/4 mile before the camera trailer. "Speed check camera ahead" or similar. I don't speed through there anyway, but tourists passed me doing at least 80 in a 65. Saw one of 'em up near the construction at the Dam, pulled over by a trooper. Guess he couldn't read the "Construction zone 35MPH" sign either.

Old 05-24-09, 11:28 AM
You could be like Texas, and have your registration as a sticker on the inside of your windshield. They can steal your plates all day long but wouldn't serve a purpose.

I never understood the purpose of a front licence plate, luckily here in Oklahoma, there are no front plates, inspections, or people with insurance...

Old 05-24-09, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"I never understood the purpose of a front licence"

so they can get you going and coming

Old 05-24-09, 02:51 PM
Wonder what would happen if you had a car with a low front bumper with a front license plate and you drove gently into a curb, bending the plate? I imagine that would make it harder for the cameras to read especially if the bottom half of the plate was bent under the front bumper.

Old 05-24-09, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
This thread is stupid and getting stupider! I'm closing it now.

Closed Thread