Maybe Lock Old threads

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-09, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe Lock Old threads

In the last couple of weeks I have seen threads older then 3 years brought back up. One by a spammer and two by people trying to be helpful but to people who are long gone. Certainly these post should remain available to help people with similar problems but I'm suggesting if people try to reply to very old posts there should be a pop up suggesting they start a new post. If people have a problem it certainly avoids confusion if they start a new one.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-09, 09:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can see problems with this idea such as if you have a pop up blocker, which I use. Given time, I could probably think of more.

Old 06-05-09, 04:34 PM
I usually lock out the thread if a spammer or 1 post wonder posts to a old thread. If it's a legit question, I move their post into it's own thread.

Old 06-05-09, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
In the last couple of weeks I have seen threads older then 3 years brought back up. ........ by people trying to be helpful.........
I really wonder. The fact is, they had to go back into the archives to bring up that post. They had to have automatically known, by doing so, that it is a well-outdated post/thread.

What could the poster be thinking, when trying to tell someone how to fix the OP's problem from 3 years ago? The only thing that makes sense to me is that someone has made a discovery, and wants to share their found knowledge, either to fuel their ego, or to help someone else (not the original poster from 3 years ago) who might read the suggestion.

Old 06-05-09, 06:26 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I usually lock out the thread if a spammer or 1 post wonder posts to a old thread. If it's a legit question, I move their post into it's own thread.
Sounds good. I didn't know there was a procedure in place.

Old 06-06-09, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Posting To Outdated Threads

What posting to an outdated thread does indicate, the (new) member is searching for information based upon their project and or problem with their projest or task before posting....

Which is a good indication. Better sometimes then asking the same type of questions repeatedly. The archives likely already have the same question already posted and or nearly the same question already posted. With all, if not all the solutions already provided.

If the member replies to that outdated thread, with a new similar type question based upon the information contained in that outdated thread and we reply with new information, it helps that member. Which is why we mods are here....

If the member adds new information, in the form of another possible solution, doing so also adds new information for the next member whom searches the archives....

Posting to an outdated thread may appear to be a nuisance etc, but there are unseen positives and advantages. The software indicates many new members resolve a problem without even posting a new question.

Exactly what the archives are intended to do. Deleting archives would defeat the purpose. As does closing an outdated thread. Which should not be done....

Closing a thread simply because it has a new question asked denies everyone any and ALL additional new advice and new information. Not a good thing to do....

Closed Thread

Search this Thread