Demise of our language

Old 06-25-09, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I first moved to east tenn, I was shocked at all the typos and misspellings in our local paper. I don't notice it so much now [18 yrs later] but I don't know if they've improved or I just don't notice anymore

Have you ever noticed that the paperwork that comes with some of the tools made in the far east either have misspellings or words that just don't make sense?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-09, 08:20 PM
I laughed all night after reading a Honda motorcycle manual--
" the brakes are deamed to be slippery when they are slipping " etc. etc...............
that was a long long time ago............
Today you can't find a better owner/repair manual than Honda...........
My, my--Detroit-----------how times they do change...................

Ain't life a *****......................

Old 06-25-09, 08:36 PM
Group Moderator
When I first moved to east tenn, I was shocked at all the typos and misspellings in our local paper. I don't notice it so much now [18 yrs later] but I don't know if they've improved or I just don't notice anymore
They probably switched from typewriters and Linotype to computers with spell check and photo engraved printing plates.

Old 06-26-09, 04:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most all the electronic or mechanical things shipped from places like Hong Kong will have sketchy "English", as they try to translate directly from Chinese, and it won't work. Syntax is different.
In my earlier days, I rebuilt British sports cars. It isn't that the language is bad, heck, it's English, but their terminology is a little different. We call it a "hood", they call it a "bonnet". And "whilst" I understood most of it, I would have to re-read the manuals to make sure I was picking up the right part. Especially "tyres" or the "dipper switch", or "lid" for the convertible top. Truly two nations separated by a common language.

Old 06-26-09, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
..... places like Hong Kong will have sketchy "English", as they try to translate directly from Chinese, and it won't work.
So indirect translation is better?

Being serious now ......what do you mean? How else can they translate?

Old 06-26-09, 06:02 PM
It is sort of like Spanish. Subjects come after the verbs and there are no adjectives (not that Spanish is exactly that way). So you see where a "real" translation would help rather than taking word for word and trying to translate it. Listen to the sentence, and translate the context, not the words.