Demise of our language

Old 06-19-09, 05:07 PM
Demise of our language

When did the public schools stop teaching language arts? Was it when the "self-esteem" issue became paramount to actual learning?

I am appalled by what I read in on-line forums and especially from younger posters. No capitalization of the first word in a sentence, no capitalization of "I" when used as a personal pronoun, incomplete sentences and run-on sentences to say nothing of the appalling spelling used.

Here are some examples of words that are often misspelled: viola (when the writer wanted voila), alot (a lot) refridgerator (there's no d), rotatory (I found that one today in a title to a video on this site!), nats (gnats) and does anything show a person's ignorance more than using foreign words in a totally inappropriate manner like writing the Latin per se as per say?

Then there are the words that are perfectly spelled but used in a completely incorrect manner. Some examples: there used when their is necessary, their (or there) when the desired word is they're (they are), hole used instead of whole (and the reverse), then used when than is the correct word, your instead of you're (you are). I often see where used in place of were, to instead of too (and also the reverse) and seam used in place of seem among many others.

I exempt people to whom Americanized English is not their native language but why are so many people who are born and raised in this country so ignorant?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-09, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
furd...I'm with you. Younger posters have grown up with Internet chats and texting...so I understand it..not that I agree with it. All I can figure is that others went to schools where they were just happy if the kids graduated..let alone learn anything.

English, Language Arts (though I'm not sure we called it that), English Lit...were my favorite classes in school. Chem I did OK, Algebra and Geometry just didn't make sense to me until I was older in nuclear power training in the Navy...then a lightbulb went off somehow.

Old 06-19-09, 06:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Furd......guilty as charged. For some reason I can't bring myself to make "alot" two words. Spellcheck even prompts me, but I ignore it. I type at 100+ words a minute and the space bar just doesn't work fast enough for me. I'm far from a "young" poster, but I'll do better.
I usually text my helpers where to be or what we will be doing on a certain job, mainly because they all have cell phones and some don't use email. Their replies are hilarious to me. You have to slooooow down and read them carefully. It makes sense to them, but "ur" doesn't mean anything to me except in Bible class (Ur of the Chaldees settled about 900 BC). There are manuals, I found out, that has texting language in it, and how and when to use it. Geez I was born too early.

Old 06-20-09, 10:57 AM
The guy who invents syntax check will be a zillionaire unless he/she makes it freeware. Amazing how people here cannot figure out brake or break (two totally different meanings). I really should drop the texting on my cell phone since I never use it. BTW Verizon wireless offers free text blocking for your phone. I figure that if you can't talk to me, I don't want to hear from you.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 06-20-09 at 10:59 AM. Reason: usual
Old 06-20-09, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
One not mentioned is "no one". When I first started on the net I actually saw "noone" so many times I looked it up thinking maybe it was a real word I didn't know about. Then there is "thanx "as a an abbreviation for thanks. Hey, it only saves one letter.

Now I am a lousy speller so I use two spell checks. but sometimes I get in a hurry so I do understand the occasional mistake. Some though don't ever seem to use spell-check. Of course part of it is the forum. Was once again cursing the limited edit function of this board as I saw this post. Sure don't want to bother a mod to correct my spelling but God am I embarrassed about one of my recent posts..

With words like to/too/two or there/their I have a weirder problem. I know the difference but my fingers don't. Hard to explain but when it I type I don't really so much think the letters as dictate the words to my finger so they just guess on words like that.

The other thing is certain word combinations that kind of grate on my nerves like "hot water heater" or "breaker switch". I tend to refrain from correcting but it is hard sometimes.

The final is the use of "[sic]" when quoting to indicate you know a word is wrong or mistyped. My English teachers were adamant about doing that but to me it seems impolite so I don't.

Old 06-20-09, 11:39 AM
" I tend to refrain from correcting but it is hard sometimes."
Rocks are "hard", your situation is "difficult".
SORRY Ray, couldn't help myself!!

Larry

Old 06-20-09, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
" I tend to refrain from correcting but it is hard sometimes."
Rocks are "hard", your situation is "difficult".
SORRY Ray, couldn't help myself!!

Larry
10 a (1): difficult to accomplish or resolve : troublesome <hard problems> <the true story was hard to come by> (2): difficult to comprehend or explain <a hard concept> b: having difficulty in doing something <hard of hearing>

hard - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Old 06-20-09, 02:05 PM
nap
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post

The other thing is certain word combinations that kind of grate on my nerves like "hot water heater" or "breaker switch". I tend to refrain from correcting but it is hard sometimes.
I can understand the hot water heater (why do you need to heat it if it is already hot?) but a breaker switch can make sense if you realize that a breaker is not intended to be used as a switch unless it is rated as such and marked with SWD.

It is then;

a breaker switch.

but I understand.

and while the use of [sic] may seem rude, the intent is not to correct the original writer. It is to give notice to the reader that the misspelling is not by the present writer.

In fact, how could it ever be used to correct the original writer? It is placed along with the incorrect spelling and that incorrect spelling is not corrected as part of its' ([sic]) use.

Old 06-20-09, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Like the guy who walked in on his linguist wife kissing another man. "Honey, I'm surprised!" he said....

"No, I'm surprised..you're astonished" she corrected him.

Yeah, stole it from RD..who stole it from someone else...lol

Old 06-20-09, 02:52 PM
Even Webster has digressed to poor language. My 9th grade English teacher would rap a ruler on your desk (that is if she missed your hands) if you used "hard" to describe difficulty. Man, I wish I had the guts to refute her by looking it up. Thanks.

Old 06-20-09, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
I exempt people to whom Americanized English is not their native language but why are so many people who are born and raised in this country so ignorant?

Because they could not choose their parents?

Old 06-21-09, 07:51 AM
The thing I cannot understand is how the people that come here from other countries somehow expect us to speak their language, but if one American went there, this person would be expected to learn the native language. American English may be a difficult language to learn, but why didn't these folks think of that before coming over here? I lost two jobs due to the fact the few words I remember of Spanish are basically obscenities, and the amazing thing is one of the companies was paying these folks to take English classes which they never used at work. I got hostile looks from these people because I said "What" repeatedly as well as "No se habla".

Old 06-21-09, 11:05 AM
I either try to answer them by adding an o after English words, or, when I overhear their private conversation, I act like I understand what they just said by gleefully nodding my head in agreement - and then the two people look at each other like, "How did HE(meaning me) know?" The thing is though, maybe they were saying something about me, and by me nodding in agreement......

Old 06-21-09, 11:25 AM
On some of our sites, there are very capable crews who happen to be Hispanic. Rock, paint, etc. Only one on a crew speaks English. Very interesting, at 11:30 every day, one guy breaks from the crew, starts a small fire and cooks lunch for the rest of the crew. They stop at 12:00 and are back on the job by 12:20, humping. I find using hand signs gets by pretty good. I ain't learnin' it.

Old 06-21-09, 01:17 PM
nap
and the day that one English speaking guy wasn't there, it cost his company about 12 hours of labor and about 20 sheets of rock. I told the guy, "ceiling; yes (while pointing at the ceiling); walls; no (while pointing at the walls)". I come in the next day and everything is rocked; glued and screwed.

Oh well, take it down.

Hope none of them ever need emergency care because I have no idea what help, ambulance, doctor, or hospital are in Mexican spanish.

Old 06-21-09, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Worked at a company with a mix of Asian and Hispanics. Really difficult when an English challenged Asian is trying to pass on a request from a English challenged Hispanic.

OK I'm going to back off before I start sounding like an ugly American.

Old 06-21-09, 03:59 PM
Just say this phrase "Bienvenido a los Estados Unidos. Hablamos Ingles aqui" Welcome to the United States. We speak English here. Those are most of the non-obscene Spanish words I know.

Old 06-21-09, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Ok..I think ya'll have kinda missed the point of the thread. Of course someone who goes to LIVE in a different country will learn some of the language eventually. My wife lived in Japan for 3-4 yrs and was able to communicate what she needed, after an appropriate adjustment period.

It always pi$$ed me off back in my Navy days when people expected someone in Chile, Norway,or Africa to be able to understand them..and got pi$$ed if they didn't.

I've probably dealt with way more language differences than almost everyone here..(no brag, just fact...24 yrs in the Navy, 14 on ships, kinda has that effect)...and I have to tell you..you are much more likely to travel to a foreign country and find someone who can communicate in English than any foreign visitor could ever expect coming here.

Respect those who respect you....

Ok..rant over....

Old 06-21-09, 06:17 PM
nap
Gunguy45;1583949]Ok..I think ya'll have kinda missed the point of the thread. Of course someone who goes to LIVE in a different country will learn some of the language eventually. My wife lived in Japan for 3-4 yrs and was able to communicate what she needed, after an appropriate adjustment period
.So, what was the point GG. I guess we did lose track.

It always pi$$ed me off back in my Navy days when people expected someone in Chile, Norway,or Africa to be able to understand them..and got pi$$ed if they didn't.
and the universal translator didn't work?

I thought all you had to do was turn it up.

I've probably dealt with way more language differences than almost everyone here..(no brag, just fact...24 yrs in the Navy, 14 on ships, kinda has that effect).
.24 yrs in the Navy? I'll bet you dealt with a lot of things the rest of us haven't (wink, wink)(j/k)

.and I have to tell you..you are much more likely to travel to a foreign country and find someone who can communicate in English than any foreign visitor could ever expect coming here.
that is because English is the worldwide business language.

Hey! I've got it. Everybody learns English.

Old 06-21-09, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
Nap..yer such a Terd....lol...good response. Ribs on the grill time ta go!

Old 06-23-09, 09:55 AM
I use txt with all my family friends, helpers and clients. About 150/mo. u lrn 2abrv.

I was a fanatic about proper language when I worked in my previous job and I still am with my present business communications. I had university grads with degrees on my team that did not know the difference between "their" and "there" or "they're". Most of our customers were my age so they cared.

Spell check is my friend. It has made me stupid(er) as I cannot spell properly anymore and don't care.

Last edited by mjd2k; 06-23-09 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I've probably dealt with way more language differences than almost everyone here..(no brag, just fact...24 yrs in the Navy, 14 on ships, kinda has that effect)...
"Where's the women" and "give me another beer" in 17 languages? You sailors are all alike.

BTW, French used to be the official international diplomatic language; anyone know if that's still true or is it English now?

Going off on a serious tangent, anyone old enough to remember who first used Gunguy's phrase, "No brag, just fact"? Free tow to first one with that bit of trivia.

Old 06-23-09, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Will Brenner

Don't remember the name of the western but he along with his grandson wandered over the old west helping folks as they hunted for his son - they were always 1 town behind

"With words like to/too/two or there/their I have a weirder problem. I know the difference but my fingers don't"

me too but I don't understand why

Old 06-23-09, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Not bad, but you're mixing the actor's and character's names. No cigar.

Old 06-23-09, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Old enough? Jeez it was only 40 yrs ago.....I remember things from then better than things from yesterday...

Old 06-23-09, 11:57 AM
wats da problum? i spel gust phine.

Old 06-23-09, 12:23 PM
Hey Matt, who spiked your Kool-Aid?

Old 06-23-09, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Not bad, but you're mixing the actor's and character's names. No cigar.
The Guns of Will Sonnett--in the 1960's
Walter Brennen..................................

Old 06-23-09, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Be honest j......did you remember it...or google it? lol

Of course I know you were around..and probably watched it....

Old 06-23-09, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Will Brenner

Don't remember the name of the western but he along with his grandson wandered over the old west helping folks as they hunted for his son - they were always 1 town behind
Are you sure that shouldn't be Walter Brennen?

edit: Just now noticed post #28. I read Mark's reply first and responded based on my memory. Then noticed j HOWARD's response after I started reading more replies. I'm from the era of black and white tv's.

Old 06-23-09, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Aren't we all Ecman?

25 25 25 25..ok?

Old 06-23-09, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty decent show; think it only went one season, though..... Beer 4U2

Old 06-23-09, 08:30 PM
I'm from the era of the old fearless leader-------------
now we have a new one..............................................

Old 06-24-09, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remembered the name of the show coming home from church last night but was still stuck on the actors name.

I'd probably watch more tv if they would bring back the westerns

Old 06-24-09, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
TG I went back and looked it up (after I remembered it!)..it was actually on 3 seasons...50 episodes. 67-69 I think.

Walter died bout 4 years later.

Old 06-24-09, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post

25 25 25 25..ok?
Uhhhhh......duhhhh......I must be dense this morning. I don't get it.

Old 06-24-09, 10:13 AM
"James is durn good, but he's better and I'm better than both of 'em."

Old 06-24-09, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
I was talking to the forum program there. 25 characters? Remember?

Old 06-24-09, 10:32 AM
OK, then!

25 25 25 25....

Old 06-25-09, 01:50 PM
Group Moderator
Getting back on topic this site: Koldwave, Portable Air Conditioning, Spot Cooling, Air Cooled, Water Cooled seems to have some strange language.
All air conditioners transfer heat from the area being cooled, and rejects that heat elsewhere.
"Reject" isn't a weird typo. It is used more the once. "Ejects" maybe but "rejects"? You have to wonder about the company with a page that reads like that.