Interesting factoid I saw in The Nation magazine

Old 06-26-09, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Interesting factoid I saw in The Nation magazine

Hello!

I saw an interesting factoid on the Nation magazine. In the article about college tuitions becoming out of reach for a lot of students, I read that in order to make all the public colleges and universities it would only cost $80 billion per year. Doesn't this make more sense than any of the following: the war in Iraq, bank bailouts, Auto company bailouts, if another 10 min was given, I am sure that any non-politician could think of even bigger wastes of taxpayer money than these bailouts. It would be scary having more college graduates contribute to the government in terms of higher taxes from better jobs. Of course if that did happen, even more money would probably be wasted by the government. at government spendaholicness (not a word I know, but should be).

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-09, 04:45 PM
80B really starts to add up after a while. A billion here and a billion there and pretty soon you're talking some real money.
Remember, this isn't a one-shot deal. It is per year.

How about if we give $52,000 to 1.5 million highschool grads a year, and they invest it and just get a job. No college. And then they add onto the $52,000 a certain percentage of their earnings to let it all compound, so that when they get to retirement age they have a nestegg of about $5-10 mil. ? That way they do not have to waste a good portion of their productive life with school, or become a landlord who has to fight with tenants, in hopes of securing a good retirement someday. Instead, they will just let their money work for them hassle-free, and become rich when they retire.

Old 06-27-09, 12:21 PM
True, but I imagine that we spend more than $80 billion on the futile war on drugs. Even better if we could do interest free loans for students who want to go to college and charge interest if they default.

I support no-knock warrants to be used on drug war supporters!!

Old 06-27-09, 01:18 PM
nap
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post

I support no-knock warrants to be used on drug war supporters!!
what? no-knock warrants are only allowed due to some quite specific legal rules.

are you suggesting that a person that supports the laws in place to reduce crime should somehow be punished?

I don't really want to start a huge discussion or argument but have you thought what would happen if we did not have the "war on drugs"?

I am really bothered by the term to begin with. How about we call it:

enforcement of the laws

the reason the drug situation has taken such notice is that it fosters more crime and causes more strife than any other criminal action I can think of. When booze was illegal, there was a war on bootleggers because, as with current drugs, it fostered more associated crime and caused more strife in general than just about any other single criminal action.

can you seriously suggest that you believe life would be better if we simply did not prosecute drug crimes? Wow, either you live in a very protected neighborhood or...

well, I won't go there but there are only 2 main groups that do not see drugs as a problem. Not inferring anything about you, just being realistic.

Old 06-27-09, 02:09 PM
Prostitution, strip tease joints and gambling have caused criminal activity also. Just thought I 'd throw that out there.

I particularly smile to myself when thinking of a possible convergence of cops coming down on some factory after hearing about betting pools going on with a sporting event. Some laws we have I think are kind of TOO much out there, and rather unenforceable, and hence silly to have.

It is very stupid, IMO, for us to pay our legislators to come up with laws that do not get enforced.

Old 06-27-09, 05:12 PM
The problem with no knock warrants is that sometimes the police go on faulty information (think Iraq war), the raidee thinks burglar and shoots the cops, then he goes to jail for someone breaking into his house when he is innocent of anything else. Heard of a few cases where the police only found one joint. Can you say overzealous? I don't use drugs of any kind myself. Aspirin is like about 4 occasions a year. Actually I have thought of what could happen if marijuana was legalized. We would have a lot less crowded jails from mandatory minimum jail terms, so that way the serious criminals wouldn't be released quite so early to make room for the pot smokers.