street lights

Old 06-30-09, 02:32 AM
street lights

ok i have a question. why are some of the street lights different colors. some are white some are orange and some are green.this is not during start up but when there at full brightness. does it indicate the age of the bulb or the type of bulb used.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-09, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is the type bulb used. Some emit a whiter light than those of the Sodium lighting which is a little more orange. The green lighting can only be seen after a hearty partying night on St. Patrick's Day, you know that!!

Old 06-30-09, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Bet that thought that fluorescent lighting in your kitchen was "white". Nope, fluorescent gives off a greenish light. Likewise incandescent gives off a slightly reddish light. Your brain compensates for what your eyes actually see.

Old 06-30-09, 02:38 PM
Here is a little something:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1193121AAQYEsA

Then we have those neat looking bright purple car headligfhts that change to regular white as they get closer. But when they are coming towards you from the distance they are purple. I might consider buying a car someday just to get those lights.

Fluorescent tube lights are usually either pinkish (considered a warm color), or bluish (which is also called cool white). The K number may be about 3500 for the pinkish ones and 4100 for the more bluer cool white ones.

Old 06-30-09, 02:42 PM
so florecent is the green light. white is a mecury vapor and orange would be a high pressure sodium.

Old 07-01-09, 03:44 AM
And purple would be Ec coming to visit in his new Beemer. Run!!

Old 07-01-09, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
And purple would be Ec coming to visit in his new Beemer. Run!!
A Beemer? Heard of them. Can't remember what they look like, off the top of my head. I'm betting they are some tincan on wheels. Going to look now.

Old 07-01-09, 04:32 PM
$40,000 plus isn't tincan, that is hand over your krugerrands when the car needs to be fixed.

Old 07-01-09, 06:27 PM
A Beemer is a BMW motorcycle. A BMW automobile is called a Bimmer. I got that from the mother of my grandchildren who is an expert on BMWs.

Old 07-01-09, 06:56 PM
In my town, in an effort to cut spending, 1/2 the streetlights on the not busy (good joke since I live in a tiny town) were turned off. If a resident wants the light on, they have to pay for the electricity themselves.