It aint fair

Old 07-01-09, 10:33 AM
It aint fair

The first 40 years all I wanted was to "do" things (golf hockey baseball renos etc) but never had enough time. Now I'm 53 with more time but the body can't "do" as much anymore. What do all you other old farts do for fun?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-09, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
I still do most everything I used to...just much more s..l..o..w..l..y...lol

Old 07-01-09, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
The first 40 years all I wanted was to "do" things (golf hockey baseball renos etc) but never had enough time. Now I'm 53 with more time but the body can't "do" as much anymore. What do all you other old farts do for fun?
Stick around for another 27 years--it gets a lot worse-Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

Old 07-01-09, 01:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like gunguy said, I can still do most anything I could when I was young - it just takes a whole heap longer.... and it isn't always worth the extra effort

Old 07-01-09, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No motorized carts at your local golf course?

Old 07-01-09, 06:05 PM
And with bad knees you walk like every step is your last. Step slowly over air hoses, power cords. And step on nothing that rolls or moves. I let my helpers climb scaffolding, and I just bark at them from terra firma.

Old 07-01-09, 07:02 PM
Replacement knees aren't an option? Had a girlfriend in the past with a replacement knee. She said from too much soccer as a youth. I had different ideas on why it was needed.

Old 07-02-09, 03:51 AM
Replacements are an option, but the doctors are saying with what I do for a living, I should put it off for a while, as they do wear out, and I don't want to have the surgery again at 75 years old. Once is enough. So I opt for SynviscOne injections in the knee. It replaces the cushion between the bones and helps a lot.

Old 07-03-09, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
My fun is going on messageboards hoping that people starting threads respond.

Seriously, there is an ad on tv right now that says that if you can't do the stuff you were doing at 45, that maybe you have Low T.

If it instead because your body is falling apart, maybe there is agenetic or other underlying cause. I watched health channel 2 nights ago where black man had mysterios freacture in back and it turns out after doctors could not figure out the cause that he had low testosterone because he had an anatomical malformation. So one never knows, unless you have stuff checked out.

Can really make you wonder about yourself when you hear of 70 year old triathaletes, or old-lady Mt. Everest climbers - and you can't run for 1/2 block or whatever.

Old 07-03-09, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
And with bad knees you walk like every step is your last. Step slowly over air hoses, power cords. And step on nothing that rolls or moves. I let my helpers climb scaffolding, and I just bark at them from terra firma.
Are you refering to yourself? If so, ever have your knee lock up and you have to shake your leg, or soem other straightening action, to pop it back in place again?

Old 07-03-09, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, the main cause of most of my slowdown is bad shoes/boots (Gov issue) and lots of steel decks and ladders (steel stairs to most of you..lol) back in my haze grey days. They didn't get a clue about the bad shoes/boots until the early 90's as I remember.

Knees are pretty much shot (got the same advice as chandler), flat/broken arches, torn up shoulders from not having OSHA (NAVOSH..same thing) reps watching when you lifted over 40 lbs by yourself...lol.

I made my choices though..thats why I'm semi-retired at 50 and my wife is semi-retired at 42.

Old 07-04-09, 01:21 PM
Going back to school at age 34.

Old 07-04-09, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I made my choices though..thats why I'm semi-retired at 50 and my wife is semi-retired at 42.
Hopefully she does not have going on what you do. You may need her to help you around. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Old 07-04-09, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
Going back to school at age 34.
Get into something where you don't work your mind or body to death, prematurely.

Old 07-05-09, 08:57 AM
This is insane swine flu is not fair especially since people dont take it seriously enough and they cough out in the open without covering there mouths, not good!!

Old 07-05-09, 11:32 AM
Coughing into your hands is just as bad. I make it a habit to cough or sneeze into my shoulder, keeping the germs off my hands and out of your face. Unless the swine flu catches up in speed, the politicians won't have much to do to keep us safe. More people die in car wrecks in 20 minutes than have died from the flu this year. We should be on guard, always, but we don't need to panic just yet.
And exactly what is the definition of a "pandemic". We heard about "epidemics" when we were young. Is this a new artsy fartsy name for it?

Old 07-05-09, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Here ya go chandler....from Answers.com
"An epidemic (from the Greek: epi upon; demos, people) is usually defined as a large-scale, temporary increase in the occurrence of a disease in a community or region which is clearly in excess of normal expectancy, whereas a pandemic (pan, all) is the occurrence of a disease which is clearly in excess of normal expectancy and is spread over a whole geographical area, usually crossing national boundaries."

And I try to cough into the crook of my elbow...kinda bad when you have a glass/bottle/can of something in your hand though...lol. Luckily I haven't had a cold or the flu or anything in over 3 years. Amazing what happens when you stop having to deal with the public.

Old 07-05-09, 02:55 PM
I get so many bugs at work (cleaning a movie theater) I call them the Regal bug. Nothing in the past 8 months though.

Old 07-05-09, 09:09 PM
Hey dont get me wrong, I'm not an invalid! I get a 3000lb load of laminate every few weeks that I stack, load and install. But knees were scoped and Doc said next is replacment, had shoulder operations, getting cortozone shots, etc.

I just miss the days I could red-linedoing anything physical. Now I plan activities based upon what I'm doing the day after. Can't work for two days after playing a pickup hockey game so I only play on Fridays.

NOP good idea with school. I have never ever ever seen anyone that was serious go back to school and not come out ahead.

Last edited by mjd2k; 07-05-09 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 04:14 AM
Mjd2k, the only thing I found out about Cortizone is it masks pain. You need pain to tell you something is wrong. My doctor won't do cortizone in critical areas like the knee. But the SynviscOne works just fine, and should keep the replacement out a few years for me. I'm like you, far from invalid, but with both rotator cuffs torn, bone on bone knees, you plan very carefully. And bait casting with your wrists makes even more sense, now. Good luck with yours.

Old 07-08-09, 06:30 AM
Nothing much to add here, except this is funny as all heck. I'm glad to see that at 54 years old i'm not the only one falling apart. I can still do most things I've always done (yeah a little slower), I just have to pay for them the next few days.