Impatience

Old 07-08-09, 06:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Impatience

Is it me getting old, or are the newer posters getting more and more impatient? They want answers the first time out. And while it is sometimes great to be able to do that, some situations require us to ask questions or have pictures posted. Forbid us to give advice that would harm people, destroy habitat or create problems!
I've noted a couple of posters not satisfied with some of our good advice, bump the post and keep asking for "more" advice from others. That's fine, but it is sort of like my wife, who is a nurse. She asks questions in "threes". It is called triage. Ask the same question using 3 different set of words to see if the answerer will give a different answer.
Or maybe it's me not being patient with them, who knows.
Just a vent.

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-09, 06:22 AM
More than impatience, I'm noticing that a lot of new posters keep asking for more advice from others until they get the answer they are looking for, even if it's wrong. Too often, they have done something questionable, then come here looking for approval. If you don't give the answer they want to hear, they keep asking until someone else does.

Old 07-08-09, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
chandler..make sure the vent goes through the roof..not just into the attic...lol

But seriously..I know the post that fired you up. Kinda like one of these...

9AM Sat "Anyone tell me how to frame a garage door?"
930AM Sat "anyone? Bump bump"

1015AM Sat "What kind of garage door..an personnel access door or the roll up door"

1030AM Sat "the one you go in and out of"

1040AM Sat "For a car or a person??? Maybe if you took pictures of what you have, it would help us help you."

1130AM Sun "Never mind..all I get is questions when I need answers. I framed it with 1 x 4 and it works great, now I just need to find a 33" door. THANKS for no help at all!"

Last edited by Gunguy45; 07-08-09 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-08-09, 07:44 AM
Group Moderator
Had one the other day where I got the impression the OP was just picking out the parts of the answer he wanted to hear and ignoring the rest.

Old 07-08-09, 08:08 AM
Larry

I think I know the thread you are talking about. I doubt anything you said would have been satisfactory to the poster. It seems that he already new everything, or at least he thought he did.

Old 07-08-09, 08:09 AM
I think with the advent of the internet and other forms of electronic communication, people, especially the younger generation, are expecting instant gratification. Many new posters don't stop to realize that most of us have "real" jobs that keep us busy and away from the computer, and when we DO get a few free minutes, then we try to log in and offer whatever help we can. Its not like all the experts are online 24/7 with nothing better to do than waiting to instantly answer the next poster's questions.

And yeah I agree that many are shopping for the easiest and cheapest way out of their dilemma, irregardless of building codes or other safety issues. For them, nothing we suggest will be a satisfactory response.

Old 07-08-09, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Can't I just run an extension cord?

Old 07-08-09, 10:31 AM
Ditto on all of the above.
Bud

Old 07-09-09, 10:35 AM
If these people are so impatient, why don't they just text their questions to the knowledge generation bureau that I have been seeing ads for on tv lately?

Old 07-09-09, 11:23 AM
Because those texting companies will just provide the customer with a bunch of links to find the answer (likely to this site too).

Old 07-09-09, 12:01 PM
All you can do is tell em what you think and know.It's up to them to use the intel wisely.

But I do sometimes avoid questions that don't come close to enough info to answer.Playing 20 questions here isn't fun.I work retail where you can ask on the spot but here it's ask wait ask wait until you get what you need.A recent thread in plumbing about a leaking sink was like that and really the needed info never came so I gave up.

Here's where to send someone who you get fed up with:

HowStuffWorks - Learn How Everything Works!

As for impatience,we live in an instant gratification society and electrnoics only make it worse.People expect it so they delay their own actions.you can't expect an answer for a complicated question here in seconds and wait to do a job so that's all the time you have so they learn the lesson of stop being in such a hurry.

Old 07-09-09, 05:33 PM
Yeah, a lot of them wait until they have already pulled down their light fixture with 3 cables and one switch loop and they took absolutely no pictures or notes as to how the wires were routed. They ask us to figure it out for them, we ask a couple of questions and they get more and more agitated. Those are fun. You can't legislate stupidity.

Old 07-09-09, 05:53 PM
Well... we could all get together and agree to give absurd, incoherent advice, and see if anyone noticed....

Old 07-09-09, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
chandler..make sure the vent goes through the roof..not just into the attic...lol

But seriously..I know the post that fired you up. Kinda like one of these...

9AM Sat "Anyone tell me how to frame a garage door?"
930AM Sat "anyone? Bump bump"

1015AM Sat "What kind of garage door..an personnel access door or the roll up door"

1030AM Sat "the one you go in and out of"

1040AM Sat "For a car or a person??? Maybe if you took pictures of what you have, it would help us help you."

1130AM Sun "Never mind..all I get is questions when I need answers. I framed it with 1 x 4 and it works great, now I just need to find a 33" door. THANKS for no help at all!"
Gee, I missed that one.

I remember a while back someone did not get an immediate response, in a subforum here that I like to look at and help out on. Likely, those with the knowledge who give the best advice here were out working. Well, the poster then basically said this was a stupid forum (in their disgust).

But, by and large, things go along pretty good here.

I have come to realize that people that do not have a clue, also do not have a clue how to explain what is wriong exactly. They go hand in hand. And I guess that can even make some sense, if you think about it.

Old 07-09-09, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post

I was in this college rental and the person had a lamp cord plugged in the outlet with one of those power strips plugged into that, with a bunch of cords plugged in! (Yes, I schooled the person)

Old 07-09-09, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Once rented an apartment with a 120v window AC. It was plugged into one of those short extension cords for AC and then into the receptacle. Was picking up something off the floor and actually felt the heat radiating from the plug. Checked and the AC cord was just long enough to reach the receptacle without using the extension cord.. Checked a while later and the plug was cool to the touch.

When the landlord came for his rent check at the end of the month I explained what I had found and what I had done. He went ballistic and told me in no uncertain terms I was never to plug the AC in directly. I must always use the extension cord. I tried to explain the plug was over heating but that didn't matter to him. He insisted the AC had to be used with an extension cord. (No, it wasn't a surge protector or anything. Just a regular extension cord.)

Old 07-10-09, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Well... we could all get together and agree to give absurd, incoherent advice, and see if anyone noticed....
I think that some people already believe that I give absurd, incoherent and just plain wrong advice.

Old 07-10-09, 04:28 AM
I like the "failsafe" situation we have here. If one of us regulars gives advice based on local situations, or things we experience daily, and it doesn't apply to, say New York, one of the others will pick up and gently re-steer the conversation. Very little sharpness going on, and that makes for a great forum.
We have our disagreements in theory, and that's good. It gives the OP a chance to "think" for themselves for a change and make their own choices.
So much is over our heads as far as their particular situation is concerned, and surely an engineer should be called in. Sometimes they can't see the need, and get offended at our suggestion.
Gotta go to work.

Old 07-10-09, 04:37 PM
7:28 am getting ready for work, weird to me. 3:30 am driving to work is my style.

Search this Thread