Goodnight Uncle Walter

Old 07-17-09, 06:18 PM
Goodnight Uncle Walter

Walter Cronkite,iconic newsman,died tonight at age 92.

As one of many who grew up watching him,there will never be another Walter Cronkite,a shame.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-09, 06:25 PM
Goodnight Uncle Walter

He was a great reporter and journalist. Not like the current crop of news readers and emcees.

Our cat is named Walter Croncat.

Walter was also a very talented wood worker and made some nice projects.

Dick

Old 07-17-09, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not taking away from the man (there will never be another), but how much news coverage will he get as opposed to our gloved wonder boy?
Go rest high, Walter!

Old 07-17-09, 08:24 PM
Goodnight Uncle Walter

The "Wonder Boy with one glove" belongs on MTV, Entertainment Tonight or CNN (not real news coverage sevices). Maybe that is why Christine Amanpour(sp?) does not want anything to do with U.S. news as opposed to the overpaid CBS gal. If Walter comes back, he will be on BBC or some real international non-political system.

Old 07-18-09, 05:21 AM
I remember his coverage of the Kennedy assassination, vividly. He had a difficult time keeping his emotions at bay and reporting what he had to report to the people.

Old 07-18-09, 12:24 PM
They are dropping like flies, lately.

I actually watched John Chancellor. In fact, I think that Brian Williams kinda sounds like the way I remember John used to sound!

Why did I pick Chancellor? Some strange perception I had that made me think that NBC was like the premier network. Just the sound of the name NBC sounded to me to be number 1. And also you pick people you associate with for certain reasons that can be both subtle, or enough to write a book about the reasons why. And there was some reason - the voice maybe - and perhaps some notion that I had that I felt John would never lie - that drew me to John, instead. I ranked news preference as NBC, then CBS, then ABC, at that time. Regardless if I was told that Cronkite was number 1, I did not care what others thought. And also thought it might be propaganda. At that time of my life, I wanted to not be mainstream, for certain things.

I do not mean to be condescending of Walter. He was given that number 1 status, and perhaps with just cause. Too bad he died. But at least he had a fairly long life. But I just thought I'd share what I thought at that time.

Old 07-18-09, 06:42 PM
Ec, I agree, but that was years ago, and we had a plethora of "news casters". They reported the news.....period. We took the news and ran with it.
Nowadays, there is too much politics in the newscasting. They all want us opinionated to their way of thinking, and I don't believe they should "think".

Old 07-20-09, 03:26 PM
Chandler,

Most true indeed. And now we even have fair and balanced FOX News. And the number one cable news guy that they have does not "spin".

Old 07-20-09, 03:56 PM
Yeah, Fox is trying (and successfully so) to be fair and balanced. Their by-line is catchy and reminiscent of the 60's....."We report, you decide". Even sounds Cronkitish, huh?