What the hay!!

Old 07-28-09, 06:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What the hay!!

Seriously. It was hay I saw. But what is it?!?! It was wrapped up in the shape of about 1 foot diameter tubes that were about 16 feet long and stacked on the lowboy trailer like rolls of carpet (many of these rolls, stacked high, and being pulled by a pickup down the highway), each wrapped in thin pink plastic only. Nothing else holding it's shape. Is this simply a new shape to feed barnyard animals with? - like standard square or huge round hay bales?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-09, 02:46 PM
You could use them to help stop run-off from a storm. I've seen them use for that.

Old 07-28-09, 02:47 PM
Don't know. Sounds like it may be for a forced feeder application of sorts, where the rolls are fed into a conveyor and chopped as it reaches the end to feed the cattle. Interesting. All we have here are square and round bales. The local cardiologist uses the cute pink plastic to wrap his with.
I'll ask him if he's heard of it.

Old 07-28-09, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Melissa_E View Post
You could use them to help stop run-off from a storm. I've seen them use for that.
Can't say that I have - here. They stake off these black tarps, here.

Old 07-28-09, 04:24 PM
Chandler or anyone,

Wasn't there a game show back in the 60's or 70's that had 3 panelists, and they were given some gadget thingy and 2 of them lied to the player as to what the thing was, and the player had to guess who was telling the truth?

Old 07-29-09, 01:09 PM
There was, never saw it that early, but I saw it in syndication a few years ago. If you go to the Game Show Network, and see a game show from the '70's, it is really amusing to see what people wore back then. It is even funnier than some of the lines said by celebrities in those days. Born in '74 so I don't think I wore much of that clothing myself. I think the show was called "to tell the truth", but don't quote me on it.

Old 07-29-09, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember correctly 'to tell the truth' had 3 people, 1 with a claim to fame [inventor, writer,etc] and 2 imposters and the panel had to determine which was the real person and who were the imposters.

Old 07-29-09, 03:10 PM
The Hay

They are usually used for erosion control, usually on long gentle slopes. This is not normal hay from a field. Most of the time it is Kentucky Blue Grass or Rye grass and when it breaks down next spring it or they will seed grass seed. When they spread them out they just take a knife and make a slit in the plastic membrane. It disolves.

Old 07-29-09, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
If I remember correctly 'to tell the truth' had 3 people, 1 with a claim to fame [inventor, writer,etc] and 2 imposters and the panel had to determine which was the real person and who were the imposters.
Wasn't what you describe called "What's My Line?"? I think George Gobel was the host, with Kitty Carlisle and Bill Cullin?, and ?

Maybe the show I am thinking of was "To Tell the Truth". Can't remember. I'd have to look it up to see if they describe it.

Old 07-29-09, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor View Post
They are usually used for erosion control, usually on long gentle slopes. This is not normal hay from a field. Most of the time it is Kentucky Blue Grass or Rye grass and when it breaks down next spring it or they will seed grass seed. When they spread them out they just take a knife and make a slit in the plastic membrane. It disolves.
Well? Maybe. But the hay sure looked stalky to me. Unless no other challengers, I will go with your theory.

Old 07-29-09, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Sounds reasonable...though the ones I saw were always big coils..like drain pipe. Prob diff stuff in diff areas.

Old 07-29-09, 09:52 PM
They are filters for city storm sewer. When the water gets over a set limit, they use them to filter out smaller stuff that may get through the larger screens.

Actually, I have no idea what they are, but if no one here knows.
Who's to say I am wrong...

Travis

Old 07-30-09, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Wasn't what you describe called "What's My Line?"? I think George Gobel was the host, with Kitty Carlisle and Bill Cullin?, and ?
... Soupy Sales........................

Old 07-30-09, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by waterwelldude View Post
They are filters for city storm sewer. When the water gets over a set limit, they use them to filter out smaller stuff that may get through the larger screens.

Actually, I have no idea what they are, but if no one here knows.
Who's to say I am wrong...

Travis

Hmmmm. You'd think that would restrict the discharge rate and render the larger size of the pipe almost useless. But -since I asked the question and do not know ------what do I know?

Old 08-23-09, 09:22 AM
how about just feed.

in the old days when they cut wheat they stood it up in little tee-pees.
so that could be just that but wrapped for transport to prevent against extra moisture (rain) to prevent mold.

Old 08-23-09, 12:29 PM
I thought they did the teepee thing with corn stalks. Wheat too, eh?

I never seen hay transported in tubes before. Only square and round bales.

Old 08-26-09, 05:43 PM
what the hay

Are you thinking of Henry Morgan, or Rose Marie as the other member of the panel? Maybe they were on the other show that was mentioned. "Whats my line" IF I remember, Whats my line had one guest. The panelists had a limited number of questions to ask him and then after all ? they had to guess his
claim to fame. To tell the truth wasn't there three guests and the panel asked ? to find out who was telling the truth, and the other 2 were imposters!

T.J.

Last edited by bmwe0692; 08-26-09 at 05:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-27-09, 03:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
T.J. - I think you are right

Search this Thread