Cash for clunkers

Old 07-30-09, 03:07 AM
Cash for clunkers

I see-- under the cash for clunkers program --the vehicle
that you turn in--MUST be destroyed..................
Don't worry about it folks-------it's just our fearless leader &
his rubber stamp congress doing some practice for
euthanasia under the new Free medical program........

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-09, 05:10 AM
I heard on the radio that the money is already gone also.

Old 07-30-09, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
One of my tow buddies mentioned he had heard through the grapevine about the destruction of the clunkers. Something about Big Brother wanting to make sure that none of the gas-guzzling engines make it back into circulation. That would be fine if ALL such vehicles were going to the boneyard, but since it's not, it's only going to drive up prices on used engines for people who have to keep patching together what they have.

Good money after bad.

Old 07-30-09, 05:37 AM
Who is watching the junk yards to insure that they are not salvaging parts off of them prior to crushing them if they actually do crush them at all? I think we need a junk yard czar.

Old 07-30-09, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
What I read is that they will be crushed or shredded...the only place I know of that does that is a junkyard....

I would imagine they will go through the standard procedure..drain fluids, remove engine and trans and maybe other salvageable parts them crush. They just can't sell the whole thing.

What I thought was funny was the stories I read of what people were trading in. Not 70's caddys or old guzzling Suburbans. No, a 98 Jeep GC, a 2001 something with a bad trans, etc. And these were people that could afford the cars they bought anyway.

The program will have no effect on really getting "clunkers and junkers" off the road..cause the people driving them have no other choice.

Old 07-30-09, 08:01 AM
I think its a crime perfectly good "clunkers" that are being traded in merely because of relatively poor gas mileage have to be destroyed rather than re-used. Why can't these vehicles be sold or donated to impoverished countries like Mexico or some areas of South America (gasoline is cheap there anyway)? The US government is removing a large number of vehicles that could be put to good use in third world counties where our "clunkers" are far better than what they're currently driving. Take Cuba, for example.....these cars would be a huge improvement over the 50's era American cars they have been nursing along for decades. I dunno, I was always taught never to waste--must be the Scot in me!

My other gripe is that nothing older than 1985 models qualify. Seems to me a lot of the gas guzzling clunkers from the 70's and early 80's are still running around out there, especially old pickup trucks.

Old 07-30-09, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
My tow buddy who has a storage lot is getting people calling in to see if he has any cars for sale or auction. Presumably they are looking for something cheap they can trade in for big bucks.

Old 07-30-09, 09:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Am I hearing right(on tv)? Is Dodge doubling up the $4500 ,where you get one $4500 off and then another $4500 off?

Even so, as Gunguy suggested, what good are these rebate or discount programs if someone can't afford anything other than to keep driving what they got? I remember when you used to be able to buy a new Saturn for like $99 a month. Sounds really excellent - unless you do not have that spare $99 a month.

The ones that really need the help now are the ones that have no job. What can they afford?

Old 07-30-09, 09:49 AM
The engine must be destroyed !!!--fearless leader law !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-09, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
jH yep..I had it just backwards...this is what I got from a news post after I looked.

"The engine, transmission and some other parts must be destroyed so they can't be reused. The idea is to cull fuel-thirsty, polluting drivetrains. Operators can resell other parts, however."

Now..how stupid is this....an engine or trans doesn't necessarily make a car a hog. A vehicle weight of 5000 lbs does. I bet those small block V-8 motorcycles get great milage.

How much will it really matter..the program is only for 4 months and only funded by $1 billion according to what I read.

Jeez...did you see what I wrote? "ONLY $1 billion"...maybe I should run for office..I must have the mindset for it.

Old 07-30-09, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Am I hearing right(on tv)? Is Dodge doubling up the $4500 ,where you get one $4500 off and then another $4500 off?"

Ya, I saw that ad also. I'm considering trading in my old jeep for a new one. I don't consider my jeep a clunker but with 181k miles that's more trade in value than I can get anywhere. They say you have to prove that the car has been tagged and insured for the last year. I also read that they are supposed to add the scrap metal value of the trade in to the sale.

Old 07-30-09, 12:43 PM
Just spoke to one almost victum. He had priced a new vehicle before the rebate program. Went back expecting a better deal and all they would give him was $3,500, not a dime off of sticker. They were down $2,500 before. And no mention of scrap allowance.

We will need an entirely new federal agency to track down all of the fraud in all of the government give aways. We need a new song: "here a billion, there a billion, EVERYWHERE there are BILLIONS and TRILLIONS.

Sing along with Bud

Old 07-30-09, 02:26 PM
Ec, my wife just totalled her Saturn L300 ($27k new) Only had damage to the hood, right light and a little to do in the radiator area. Insurance totalled it and gave us a whopping $5600. It was just before this clunker thing went into effect with Chrysler. She wound up buying a Dodge (not a Ram, though). My thinking is if we could have kept the Saturn (paid for), traded it in as a clunker, got $4500 from Obama and another $4500 from Chrysler, that's $9000. Darn. Always a day late.

Old 07-30-09, 02:43 PM
Group Moderator
Hey Guns - a billion here, a billion there; pretty soon we're talking real money.

Old 07-30-09, 05:03 PM
I would feel safer in some of those clunkers that got 30 gallons to the mile than the plastic cars of today. I saw a SMART car getting gas the same time as I was in my 95 Jetta. Being 6'5" or 6", I do not think I would ever fit in one of those, and there is no way I would feel safe on the same roads that tractor trailers use. If the driver's seat didn't lower on my car, I wouldn't be able to fit into it without my head going through the sunroof. If you are driving an 85 Cadillac (for example only) how can you afford a brand new car with the cash for clunker program without skipping lunch 15 times a day?

Old 07-30-09, 05:14 PM
Yes, weight is a primary issue. Yet some tiny scooters only muster 80 mpg. Don't get that one. And you'd think the Smart car would get that or more.

Old 07-30-09, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
But a scooter may only have a 125cc or less engine....and people drive them to the limit.

There are plenty of midsize M/C's that get MPG in the 50's and 60's with enough power to get out of their own way.

Someone here has a 650cc scooter...where you hiding? chandler? someone? What kind of milage?

Old 07-30-09, 05:39 PM
NOP, you're too young to remember the 50's and 60's. We had no reason to know how many mpg our cars got. Heck, gas was only 25 cents a gallon. And what was the expectation of a 55 chevy with a 409 with 3 deuces, full race cam, blueprinted, headers, etc.? It was all about speed....and a lot of it. No seat belts, certainly no air bags, AM radio only, single line brake system, but total steel surrounding you.
Ec, I agree. Just how "smart" are the cars nowadays. 50 mpg is not a really big jump from what a normal car gets. My Honda Silverwing only gets 55mpg. You would think it would get better. But at 600 cc's there is a trade off, I guess.
Where is the technology going with the Hydrogen cars? We can do that, folks. But now that we own GM, we'll never see that.

Old 07-30-09, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Ok..asked and answered ..even though he didn't know it.

chandler...do you really thing silverwing is an good name? I swear they made a real bike with that name a while back.

I think tin wing..or aluminum wing would be more apprpriate...lol

Geez..i just looked at their site...49cc stripped to the bone scooter for msrp of $2500?

You can get a Rebel for $4k

Old 07-30-09, 06:10 PM
Yeah, the original Silverwing was back in the early 80's and a regular 650 cc (I think) motorcycle.
Silverwing, 600 cc, ABS, continuously variable transmission, no A/C, clocks in at about $8000 if you can find them. I bought the last one from our local dealer about a year ago, and he hasn't been able to get any since then. Great for estimates or checking on my guys on site.
NEWS FLASH: Clunker money just ran out according to the DOT. They are suspending it indefinitely.

Old 07-31-09, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
According to this site CARS.gov - Car Allowance Rebate System - Home - Formerly Referred to as “Cash for Clunkers” there is still $779million left in the clunkers program........ but that also means you have to believe what the gov't is telling us

Old 07-31-09, 04:31 AM
The government "breathes" $779 million every second, so, no, I don't think I'm inclined to believe too much they say.

Old 07-31-09, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
But a scooter may only have a 125cc or less engine....and people drive them to the limit.

There are plenty of midsize M/C's that get MPG in the 50's and 60's with enough power to get out of their own way.

Someone here has a 650cc scooter...where you hiding? chandler? someone? What kind of milage?
So you are figuring that if the scooter engine got bigger, it get much better mileage? Then let's strap a V-8 onto one and see what it does.

Old 07-31-09, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
We had no reason to know how many mpg our cars got. Heck, gas was only 25 cents a gallon.
Remember - they were allowed to have gas-price wars back then. That was before Exxon become Exxon, and was formed between Humble and Esso was it? I think that was before minimum markup laws also. I saw sub-20˘ during those!

Don't forget though that minumum wage was real low back then. Based on that, and other rate hikes affecting cost of living, that actually the low $2's for gas would be a fair price today, IMO. We can't keep saying and fooling ourselves, that gas should remain $1-something, when everything keeps going up every year.

I wonder where our gas was coming from back then? I always was led to believe it came out of Texas. But what did I really know back then.

Old 07-31-09, 09:30 AM
Not to tick off the environmentalists among us, but why are we not making oil out of shale on government property? From what I heard we can do it for $60 a barrel, which is definitely a lot cheaper than it was last summer. The money I saved from quitting cigarettes went directly into the gas tank then. Cheapest gas I ever bought was about $0.959, that was about 13 years ago in New Hampshire.

I get into enough trouble with a VW 4 cylinder. I would lose my license in about 3 days maybe with one of those older muscle cars. Although that may not happen considering my luck with speedtraps. When I drove to Illinois from CT a couple years ago, 1235 miles each way, I only saw 6 speedtraps for the whole 2470 miles. That seems very low to me since I drove through 6 states.

Old 07-31-09, 01:04 PM
Hey, NOP, save the environment. I'm all for that! Just don't kill off mankind in the process. We had a bridge under construction locally for nearly 2 years. Some tree hugger filed suit to stop the building because it was the home to some stupid turtle. Someone far smarter than I must have jumped in, because the bridge got finished and there is a big sign at the entrance, that states this site never jeopardized the habitat of the turtle. I think the person who filed the suit moved out of town. I know I would. Can you spell "fool"?

Old 07-31-09, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've bought gas in the high teens and remember my daddy buying gas [during the old kind of gas wars] for a dime a gallon.

...but back to the title of this thread - a mopar dealer in a nearby town had a big jeep sale today, some were only $10k after the double rebate. Stupid me, I thought I might trade. All the jeeps advertised were 2 wheel drive and the only jeep on the lot that had a 2 speed transfer case was a wrangler [CJ] for $25k and it got 15mpg

I talked to them about ordering a patriot with a 2 speed transfer case and they gave me a brochure, asked a couple of stupid questions [mainly what color], said they could probably find one at another dealership and said they would call me in an hour or so..... that was before lunch - haven't heard anything yet

Looks like I'll keep my so called clunker, it only gets 15 mpg but it doesn't use any oil, runs good, great 4x4 and it's been paid for a long time. My wife doesn't partically like to ride in it - except when there is snow on the ground

Oh, speaking of which, they had a challenger in the show room [my wife fell in love] but the sticker said $48k+.... at that price it better have a couple of bed rms, bath and some waiting tentants

Old 07-31-09, 07:40 PM
When my wife went to get her new car, they only have one car in the showroom. Factory sticker was $48K.......custom sticker next to it brought the total to $84K. some kind of designer car, like Roush, or something like that.
My question is if the factory sticker had a 5.0L engine listed, and the custom sticker had a 7 L engine listed, do you get credit on the 5.0???
They had cables around it so you couldn't even touch it.

Old 08-01-09, 07:48 AM
Usually the way that works is you first pay for "the car" as in the MSRP of the car used for the customizing then everything the customizer does is a second bundled charge.

Depending on specifically what car it is and what was done the change in engine displacement may not mean an actual engine change.

Even if it does most of the customizer charge is not parts and that 302 engine or whatever it is isn't really worth all that much money maybe a couple thousand at most.

What car did your wife look at?

Old 08-01-09, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I've bought gas in the high teens and remember my daddy buying gas [during the old kind of gas wars] for a dime a gallon.

...but back to the title of this thread - a mopar dealer in a nearby town had a big jeep sale today, some were only $10k after the double rebate. Stupid me, I thought I might trade. All the jeeps advertised were 2 wheel drive and the only jeep on the lot that had a 2 speed transfer case was a wrangler [CJ] for $25k and it got 15mpg

I talked to them about ordering a patriot with a 2 speed transfer case and they gave me a brochure, asked a couple of stupid questions [mainly what color], said they could probably find one at another dealership and said they would call me in an hour or so..... that was before lunch - haven't heard anything yet

Looks like I'll keep my so called clunker, it only gets 15 mpg but it doesn't use any oil, runs good, great 4x4 and it's been paid for a long time. My wife doesn't partically like to ride in it - except when there is snow on the ground

Oh, speaking of which, they had a challenger in the show room [my wife fell in love] but the sticker said $48k+.... at that price it better have a couple of bed rms, bath and some waiting tentants
Your wife would probably wrap that Challenger around a telephone pole.48K means top of the line 425HP hemi.

You didn't really buy a Patriot did you?

Old 08-01-09, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
I get into enough trouble with a VW 4 cylinder. I would lose my license in about 3 days maybe with one of those older muscle cars.
Todays lighter cars with standard fuel injection, electronic ignition, aluminum heads, and 4 valves per cylinder, can be actually quicker than some of the ol' muscle cars - and without near the racket - to my bubble bursting chagrin.

I ran into this guy at the tire store who said his junk Toyota was turning low-mid 11's at the drag strip, beating out many of the muscle cars. His little buzz saw looked like a piece of junk. Yet, for reasons stated, they can do it. I have watched such cars turn low times, (to my shock and disbelief) on the Speed Channel tv show "Pass Time", also. And to think my old '60's muscle car probably would have ran only a 13.5 -14.0, I bet.

Old 08-02-09, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
spdavid - when did you see how my wife drives? For a little girl she sure does have a heavy foot. She used to have an altima with the 3.5. Nice car but she had to get rid of it because it had too much power and handled great..... and no, I didn't buy anything. They didn't have a single jeep that was as good a 4x4 and got better mileage than my old 'clunker'

ecman - I know what you mean all these kids and their hopped up 4 bangers... they might be as fast, and definetly more fuel efficent but they can't rumble like the good ol' american V8.

Old 08-02-09, 05:51 AM
Spdavid, she wound up getting a Dodge Caliber. Little car with less pretentious stuff on it. Power everything, though. She only drives a few miles to the Hospital to work, and said she didn't need to spend a lot of money on a car at this time. For a rental between the accident and purchase they gave her a Chrysler 300. She was glad she got that, because she quickly determined that was just too big a car for her.
The Caliber has a 2.0 engine with a continuously variable tranny (don't feel it shift, even if it does), room for 5 people, or us and the grandkids in car seats (that's enough). A/C, pw, power mirror, power door locks, AM/FM single CD Sirius radio, little artsy fartsy canned drink cooler above the glove compartment, powered by the A/C system. It's OK, but it ain't winning me over from my Ram 3500 diesel, yet. I climb up into it, and fall down into the Caliber.

Larry

Old 08-02-09, 08:09 AM
As far back as I remember when you buy a car that is financed, you have to get collision insurance which is WAY WAY more than state minimum. How can someone driving a clunker like notmypresident mentioned afford a car payment and collision insurance? One of many things that make you say HUH?

BTW, my 95 Jetta is strictly stock 4 banger but does have an oil cooler and automatic transmission cooler, neither of which I knew about when I bought the car. I found out about them after having to get the $90 radiator hose replaced due to a leak. It has 6 ends on it. The original lasted 195k. I have debated adding a cold air intake to it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Unless I hit Powerball, which I almost never play, I will be the last registered owner of this car.

Old 08-02-09, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not everyone that drives a so called clunker is poor or a dead beat and I would think with this ecomony and all the bank failures that questionable buyers wouldn't get finacing approval. Most of those taking advantage of the deal are ones that are capable of making new car payments but didn't have enough reason to do so. My 1990 jeep cherokee with 181k miles is not what I would consider a clunker; it runs decent, doesn't use oil and while far from looking new it is a long way from being junkyard material...... but the clunker rebate makes it worth more than it is really worth. I couldn't believe that they didn't have a single rebate eligble 4x4 that was capable of handling my driveway when covered with snow

BTW I used to have full coverage on my jeep but there comes a point in a car's life that it no longer makes sense to pay the extra premium.

Old 08-04-09, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
The clunker program ignores people like me who have never been able to spend even $2000 on a car. We who can only afford a few hundred dollars for cars are left out in the cold as usual. Here is part of an article at Cash For Clunkers – What it is and How it Hurts the Poor | Super Gas Saver
Cash For Clunkers – What it is and How it Hurts the Poor
August 1st, 2009 | Posted in Government & Vehicles

CARS – The Car Allowance Rebate System , or the recently revised name of Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save program, known affectionately as “Cash for Clunkers” by the majority of Americans seems like a great idea at first blush. After all, it can get people in the hard hit auto industry working again, by helping new cars find homes. It has experienced plenty of takers, despite some trepidation among some dealers who are wondering if their deals will really go through or not. Now the program has exhausted its funds, and is waiting on Congress to authorize more billions.

How can the cars for clunkers program possibly hurt poor people and the environment? Wouldn’t the government credit help the poor buy a new car? Doesn’t getting the “clunkers” off the road help the environment?

First, the poor, and in many cases the not even poor. CNW Marketing Research in Oregon estimates the average price of a used car in the U.S. was about $9,000 at the end of 2008. In this current economic climate that is simply out of reach for many people, poor and otherwise. This is especially true if people are trying to do the responsible thing and keep from becoming hopelessly indebted., something all too easy to do when buying a car.

Thankfully, if one needs reliable transportation there are plenty of solutions far below that figure….for now. Due to the vastly increased quality and reliability of vehicles manufactured over the last 15 years, a car with 80,000, or even 120,000 miles on it may still have plenty of commutes left in it.

That’s where CARS could actually end up hurting the poor....The engine destruction and vehicle salvage requirement potentially causes hundreds of thousands of good, used vehicles to be removed from the used car marketplace. Those [are] just the cars that people who can’t spend $9,000 for a new car would be in the market for....

Old 08-05-09, 05:10 AM
Ray, the article is right on. I don't think "saving the environment" is as big an issue as saving the economy at this time. Those "clunkers" aren't the major cause of Al Gore's situation. Sure, give the incentive to those who can afford the higher priced cars, but let those who need reliable transportation snatch up those cars that have been discarded at a decent price. Sure they may only give another 80K of service, but at a reduced price it could help the economy by allowing people with lower incomes to be able to drive to jobs, etc.
I have only owned one new vehicle in my life. All the rest I dicker and get it at a bargain. I can handle the little problems that come up with them. My wife on the other hand, I don't want her out there with a breakdown. So she always gets the newer car. Not a Mercedes, mind you, but an economical lower priced car.
I've stated earlier, my Ram has 371K on it. Sure it's gonna die. But I got it at $6k under book value, so I'm ahead right now. It's a diesel, so I look for it to run to at least 500k before major stuff happens (or tomorrow, whichever comes first).

Old 08-05-09, 10:49 AM
Too bad my 95 Jetta's EPA rating is 4mpg too high for this program due to the fact I am losing my front differential.

Old 08-27-09, 11:26 PM
Is the program still running?? I was hoping to get in on this! Really need a new car, and mine isn't going to fetch much money from a buyer.

Old 08-28-09, 05:52 AM
Originally Posted by my1sthome09 View Post
is the program still running?? I was hoping to get in on this! Really need a new car, and mine isn't going to fetch much money from a buyer.
no................................