Lucky us

Old 08-03-09, 06:22 AM
Lucky us

Just think how lucky we are to have a fearless leader
that has not yet passed a new health care program but
has found out how to pay for it ( tax the working middle class)
Have fun..............................

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-09, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
You didn't really think the middle class was going to avoid higher taxes did you? I'm still waiting for Bill Clinton's middle class tax cut circa 1992.

Old 08-03-09, 01:16 PM
Personally, I'm hoping that it will become his "read my lips, no new taxes" moment in 3 years.

Old 08-03-09, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That was George I. In reality, I watched his lips, and he didn't create NEW taxes, just like he said. He just increased some of the older ones. I love politicians. If I made a promise like we have been promised time and time again, I'd go out of business in a week.

Old 08-03-09, 02:42 PM
Personally I'm worried about 2013.The reason is that's second term don't have to worry about reelection time.

By then it's also 4-5 years into serious national debt and spending programs on a probably mediocre eceonomy with major need for revenue.

Betting you'll see tax rates and deductions changes,new taxes on consumer goods like soft drinks etc and no reversal of the AMT.

Old 08-03-09, 09:43 PM
"I Will Not Raise Taxes" Is Pure Bunk

How these politicians can get away with "I will not raise taxes" is beyond me. Everything keeps going up (except my pension) and it has to be paid for somehow.

Does anyone think the state pays the same for a snowplow today as they did in 1980? State troopers cars? Concrete/blacktop for fixing roads? Of course not!

In Minnesota we have governor Payplenty saying he won't raise taxes but he sure did implement/raise FEES on everything in sight. If someone can explain the difference between 'taxes' and 'fees' I'd love to hear it.

Think of it this way.....Ward tells June she gets $20 a week for groceries. That was fine in the 50's but the poor Beaver would be getting pretty slim eating on that today.

Baldwin

Old 08-04-09, 02:24 PM
For the notmypresidentvoters a certain P.T. Barnum quote comes to mind about extraordinarily high birthrates of a certain group of people. Please let me escape to another country that doesn't have the government taking care of them from cradle to grave.

Old 08-08-09, 12:51 PM
Shouldn't there be a law that says that a politician who makes a promise during a campaign and gets elected largely based on those promises, either has to honor what got them elected -or- voluntarily abandon or be thrown out of the post?

Old 08-08-09, 03:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If we kicked all the politicians that lied, out of office - who would run the country?

Old 08-08-09, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe the people could start doing that again?

Old 08-09-09, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a great idea especially if the failed yet expensive programs were reveresed like the bank and insurance company bailouts, the war on drugs, I will stop now, but it wouldn't difficult to go on for an hour.

Old 08-09-09, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Maybe the people could start doing that again?
Its' too late for that, I think. The notion that we are the gov't must make those in gov't do this ------->. It has gotten too big.

In our local paper lately, some drunk still had his wits about him and challenged the cop on law. Well, the guy ended up getting hauled off on disorderly charges for being in the cops face, talking too loud for that time of night, telling the cop about what his rights are and all that he knows about the law and what the cops can and can't do. Alotta good it did him.

It be like us telling the gov't when they tell us to turn in our guns, that we say we refuse, based on the Constitution - as armed agents are standing there at your door, looking bad-a**, wearing those shades.

Old 08-09-09, 06:25 PM
From my cold dead hands..........

Old 08-10-09, 11:30 AM
I would love to own a gun, but wouldn't trust myself with one either, due to the fact not passing in the passing lane of the highway or needing time for coffee and a cigarette to pass isn't a capital felony yet like it should be unless you suffer a vehicular emergency like the engine throwing a rod or something catastrophic like that.

Old 08-10-09, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
In our local paper lately, some drunk still had his wits about him and challenged the cop on law. Well, the guy ended up getting hauled off on disorderly charges for being in the cops face, talking too loud for that time of night, telling the cop about what his rights are and all that he knows about the law and what the cops can and can't do. Alotta good it did him.
What, he's not going to get a beer at the White House????

Old 08-10-09, 02:17 PM
Maybe he hates Bud Light the way the president drank it for that meeting. If that were the case, I wouldn't blame him.

Old 08-10-09, 02:34 PM
Well, something does need to be done about health care. I just paid $800 for a 10 min ultrasound for my wife.

Old 08-10-09, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
What, he's not going to get a beer at the White House????
Ha! That's right. That does have a familiar ring to it, doesn't it?

Old 08-10-09, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
From my cold dead hands..........
Beer 4U2........................

Old 08-10-09, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Well, something does need to be done about health care. I just paid $800 for a 10 min ultrasound for my wife.
And the sad part is ----I think you have to pay even if they can't find the cause of a health problem.

In my line of work, I'd feel awfully embarrassed asking for money, if I could not fix a problem. Sam, from "Sam's Garage" radio show has said more than once that he will not charge someone if he can't find the problem. That is the way it should be.

Tests using test equipment, is of no redeeming benefit if the problem is not found. Especially say if one has to go to another doctor at some other clinic or hospital.

But if it is at the same hospital and they try this and try that and finally try everything, and finally find it - well then they could say they needed all those tests to hone in on it.

Old 08-10-09, 04:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One of the few things I've heard about the proposed health plan that I believe has some merit is where hospitals [doctors too?] are to be held accountable for fixing the ailment that they charge for. But how do you make that work? Will the hosptials be leary of admitting patients with complex health problems? will the doctors order too many tests just to cover their butt?

I agree everyone should have access to health care and there are a lot of problems in the health care industries [mainly the high cost] but I don't believe there is any quick or easy fix and if the gov't takes over - how will it be paid for...... oh!!! I know!! have the gov't write everyone a check, a small one for the people and a big one for business - that will solve everything

Old 08-10-09, 05:11 PM
How many people here do not have healthcare insurance? If you don't have it, why not? I am not trying to be confrontational, just having a discussion. My parents had Blue Cross for years and yes they complained about the cost at times but when my Dad got cancer they were covered well.

Now that my Dad is gone my mother still carries Blue Cross for herself along with having Medicare. I was lucky, my wife has health insurance through her employer. That said we still contribute a lot to it out of each pay check. When I was single I did not have any coverage at all. Why? Because I had other things I wanted to spend my money on and I was pretty healthy.

Healthcare insurance is available to most people but a lot choose not to get it. How many people would get car insurance if it was not mandatory or homeowners insurance if the bank did not require it?

I'm not saying things don't need to be fixed, but I am saying the government has a bad track record and I do not trust any politicians or beaurocrats with my healthcare, or much else for that matter.

Bill

Old 08-11-09, 12:17 PM
I don't have health insurance because I thought it would be nice to eat and buy gas for my car with that one paycheck per month that Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield charged for my health insurance. These guys would not pay for extracting an infected tooth, but would cover me if the infection spread. I didn't want to play that game and it sounds kind of like locking the barn after the horse was stolen. I have the American plan now called "Don't get sick" Even when I had insurance, I never used it unless I was really sick.

Old 08-11-09, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, my youngest son no longer has health insurance - got laid off. I have a stepson that had insurance until they dropped his hours and called him part time, took his vacation pay too..... but most weeks he works 6 days but only gets 35 hrs The only good thing is his eye doctor enrolled him in some free program so he doesn't have to pay for his eye drops - everything considered, he has the same amount of money as he did when he was full time - but he better not get real sick

Car insurance is cheaper. I insure 4 vehicles [only full coverage on 1] for a whole lot less a year than what medicare and all costs me.

Old 08-12-09, 11:10 AM
My car insurance for 6 months is $270 (state min, car ain't worth jack). The health insurance I had was something like $198 per month with a $500 cap per year on prescriptions, which is easy to kill with an infection of some sort.

Old 08-12-09, 09:48 PM
From what I have been reading here I don't think it would be wise for me to detail my medical payment plan. I can't call it "insurance" because there is no risk assessment made on the coverage.

My coverage is essentially the same as when I was working. I have been retired for about four and a half years now (retired before age 55) and I will continue to be covered until I am eligible for Medicare. It was one of the reasons that I stayed with the same company for more than twenty-five years. Unfortunately for those who hired in after me the company no longer offers them the same plan as I have.

Needless to say, I am not looking forward to whatever plan is passed by our congresscritters and President as I am quite sure it will give my company an excuse for backing out of the contract they made with me so many years ago. I can see a need for some kind of universal coverage but I see no need to destroy a system that basically works for the majority of the populace. While there may be some fifty million people without some kind of coverage that only equates to less than 20% of the total population.

Old 08-19-09, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Bill62 View Post
How many people here do not have healthcare insurance? If you don't have it, why not?
Here is a reasonable excuse for some, I'd say:

Car insurance, for example, has not been escalating (at least for me -and mine has actually gone down over these recent years!!)), at a 15-22% a year clip, for years, like my health insurance(and that is without any penalty based on claims!).

Yes, some (maybe many) people have their priorities all wrong, and will spend money for flat screen tv's, atv's, trips, etc. before health insurance. But I'd say you have a pretty good excuse if your premiums multiply in such a fashion as to start costing you 1/2 your yearly income, down the road, in a number of years.

Now back to the argument that people who blow their money on things, rather than health insurance: Even that argument is flawed since even most expensive items are a one-shot purchase. Health insurance premiums have costed people thousands of dollars every single year (and much more the next year than the previous, etc., etc.). Not like just the one year they treated themselves and bought a flat screen tv.!

Granted though, if they can find ways to discretionarily spend away $6000+ a year, every year - then they have no excuse.