camera phones at concert venues

Old 08-28-09, 06:42 AM
camera phones at concert venues

anyone have problems taking a camera phone into a venue that says no cameras or video recorders. my cell phone has a camera in it and im thinking of leaving it at home incase the venue staff say i can't bring it in.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 02:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've taken full blown photography camera into concerts that said "no camera...etc" without a problem. My most recent was Tim McGraw a few months ago. They will definetly NOT say anything about your camera phone.

Old 08-28-09, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
My kids are all avid concert goers and here they draw the limit at better cameras.
If you have a small camera with a low zoom power you will likely not be bothered.
Advanced cameras, especially with large zooms are not allowed.

Simple inexpensive cameras generally take lousy pictures at concerts and are not much of a concern.
The thing is that it is up to security to interpret the venue's policy so be prepared to walk back to your vehicle if they are being strict.

Old 08-28-09, 03:02 PM
the venue is cobo arena owned by Detroit and Olympia entertainment. there website says
CAMERAS with lenses under 54MM are allowed into Cobo Arena on event days. NO video recorders or flash photography is allowed. Cameras with detachable lenses that extend over 54MM are prohibited.
however sense concerts are different i have sent Olympia a email. im taking the bus down to the show to avoid paying for parking and to avoid traffic leaving the show.

im seeing KISS on sept 25th.

Old 08-29-09, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To each his own. Enjoy the show.

Old 08-29-09, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Hey Flirty. Call them and ask. They all say that, but usually they leave it up to the band if you can bring stuff in or not.
If they don't allow it, they'll take it and you won't get it back, so just call first.

Old 08-29-09, 05:46 PM
If you like the suck-egg pictures phones take, I say, have at it. I doubt you will be bothered. What they are looking at is commercial photographers who make a living at it. 54mm ain't much, so zooming in on the players isn't practical.
A flash only carries effectively 30'. Beyond that, the light can't travel back to the film plane fast enough to enighten the subject.

Old 08-29-09, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Use to be it was mostly the flash that was objected to especially if they were filming. Of course that is from when phones had four foot cords.

Old 08-29-09, 07:59 PM
My wife uses her 7.1 mp Canon at concerts. Since it is a 3x zoom that is retracted into the 4"x3"x 3/4" camera (almost bullet-proof). I shut off the flash in advance and she has had no problems getting a picture anywhere that can be improved later.

The only problem is that the camera is too handy and compact that it is hard to find at times.

A phone camera is a waste of time unless you are in the front row.

Just don't get caught with a camera in a museum. I was almost tossed in jail (immediately) in Spain when I shot something in a musuem when the flash gave mee away.

Dick

Old 08-29-09, 10:45 PM
well heres the thing this time there filming the KISS concert for a DVD so they might be more strict sense there going to be recording it. My phone does not have a flash.

Old 08-30-09, 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
well heres the thing this time there filming the KISS concert for a DVD so they might be more strict sense there going to be recording it. My phone does not have a flash.
If I were you, better be safe than sorry. I'll just not bring a camera. However, I won't leave my phone just because it has a cam on it. Most of the time, they won't bother. Just as logn as it won't hamper security I guess

Old 08-31-09, 12:57 PM
well i got a response from Olympia entertainment. they said camera phones are allowed for concerts.

Old 09-01-09, 12:08 AM
Can you imagine if they were to start checking cell phones for cameras at concerts? We have 5 cells in the house and they all have cameras. Do they even make cells without them anymore? Imagine trying to confiscate some 15 year old girls cell phone! Yikes.

Old 09-08-09, 03:58 PM
ok well i decided to just get another phone without a camera. its a tracfone.

Old 09-27-09, 07:42 AM
well i could have taken it. i saw people take digital cameras in there but parinoid me i wanted to be safe sense i took the bus to avoid traffic leaving the arena. the show was loud. here it is sunday and my ears are just now 99% normal. my left ear keeps ringing on and off.

Old 09-27-09, 01:23 PM
The only thing about being afraid of life is not living it. Gotta take the chance. Water is cold, may be deep, but you can swim, so what? What were they gonna do to one of 50,000 people, fry and eat you?? You don't think 48,000 of them had cell phones with cameras, and the other 2000 had cameras? Did you get any pictures? Noooo! But that's OK, you got memories, and that's what counts. Glad you had a good time. And don't sit on the second row next to a speaker at a Charlie Daniel's concert....been there. Wondered why those tickets weren't sold.
Remember Garth Brooks' lyrics, "Life is not tried it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire"

Search this Thread