Old 09-16-09, 04:05 PM

why all of a sudden are you forcing us to put stuff into our profile that was not required when we signed up.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-09, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
What sort of stuff? Of course it could be another way to prevent spam.

Old 09-16-09, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's prolly a bug. I know when new users sign up, they are required to fill in a little more to "prevent" spam bots, but obviously that has not worked. There would be no need for any more information then what they got.

This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 4 seconds.

Old 09-16-09, 04:52 PM
I had to refill out my profile "location" before being able to get on the board tonight.

Old 09-16-09, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
I had to refill out my profile "location" before being able to get on the board tonight.
Location is important in some forums. Many times in the electrical forum you end up scratching your head because the poster may be from across the pond and have different wire colors or good lord a ring circuit what ever the heck that is. Even the ones from the maple leaf land across the lake can throw you with red jacketed cable. I'm sure the same is true in other forums.

Old 09-16-09, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
I had not heard about this but as said, location can make a huge difference when answering a question.
Electrical and building codes, climate and how it affects heating and cooling, frost depth for construction and plumbing plus many more things affect advice given.

We also are suffering from a spam epidemic and anything that can help with this would also be a big help to us.

What besides location are you being asked?

Old 09-16-09, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
I can understand why some for privacy reasons might have reservations but really your state and NE or NW or what ever would satisfy the bots and still make answering better and easier. Exceptions might be New York City or Chicago or LA where local codes are stricter then national codes.

Old 09-16-09, 06:59 PM
Very often, I do not bother to reply to post that does not have enough information to make an intelligent comment.

Since most of my interests are related to codes, soils, weather and just having a location is an absolute necessity. Listing a specific location eliminates the need to supply information on every post.

Even Minnesota is 400 miles north to south and has different weather, codes and soils, but it is at least enough to get started. (Minneapolis/St. Paul is over 50% of the population so that narrows the people). If my question relates to something like heating or snow (we do not have that much here), I put that information in my post to narrow down the location further.

California is about 1000 miles from end to end and ranges from sea level to about 13,000 feet with many climates, wind and snow conditions. If it is just for questions about paint, the location may not be as critical unless you are looking for specific dealers and paints.

Something like "usa" as a location is a totally worthless personal paranoid dodge considering that the U.S. is just a very small part of the world's construction and the growing DIY interest.

I find that if I read the remainder of the information, I can have an idea of several locations in the world may fit in as possibilities.

Dick

Old 09-16-09, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
I can see people trying to remain anonymous but many do not realize that there is an incredible amount of information available on anyone who simply visits a website.

Among other things it is very easy for the website to determine your internet provider and home city.

Old 09-16-09, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
I am always amazed by people who won't shop on line because they think their credit card info will be stolen yet they will give the card to a stranger in a store or restaurant.

And yes Texas Gulf Coast means Houston.

Old 09-17-09, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure it helps against spam. Here's the location on a spammer I just squashed: 台湾

Old 09-17-09, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
The internet still amazes me!

Definitions of 台湾 on the Web:

* Taiwan (台灣; historically ), also known as Formosa (福爾摩沙; from Portuguese (Ilha) Formosa, meaning "beautiful (island)"), is a self ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/台湾

Old 09-17-09, 05:11 PM
Me too! Like....where is it located? Is there some one place where it has a gazillion supercomputers somewhere? So many questions.

I find it amazing how they manage to get gooey fly ribbons in that cardboard cylinder, all spiral wrapped up, and not one bit of sticky on the outside of the cylinder, and you are actually able to unravel that ribbon and it barely releases...but it does. I hung up 8 of them in a kitchen 2 days ago to catch a million fruit flies. These things work!!! Who comes up with this stuff?!