Baffling * Any theories as to why people on side of rode get mowed down?

Old 09-26-09, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does an X frame stand for "no real frame" ?, as in like 'unibody'? If not, what does the X stand for or refer to? If I get a better handle on that, maybe then I can understand the crash results better.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-09, 05:58 PM
nap
the frame is shaped like an X as you would look at it from above with the cross section right about under the front seat.

Kind of like this right here:

http://www.xframechevy.com/arc/1959/...0frame%201.jpg

Old 09-26-09, 06:44 PM
Ahhhh. And now I can see the flaw in the design. The frame could easily buckle upon frontal impact at the point where the parallel frame starts to X. Although, I have no imperical evidence that supports that this does happen. It just appears that could happen, to me.

It still is amazing to me, thought that all that heavier sheetmetal of that older car, would not fair better against that smaller car. Maybe 59's were not as good say as a '48?

If Chriss Angel or David Blaine gave that crash demonstration as part of their act, I would then not have believed it.

Old 09-26-09, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
Perhaps 40 years ago I read in Science and Mechanics of an experimental modified car the California Highway Patrol was working on so their officers would be safer in a high speed chase. I can't remember the make of car but they added a full roll cage and 4 point restraints. The driver of one of the test cars lost control at about 100 MPH and slammed into a concrete retaining wall. Walked away with no injuries. Of course the car was totally demolished but the roll cage came through intact. Always wanted a car like that.. Hey, if it is good enough for NASCAR it's good enough for me. Well or a tank with working turret.

Old 09-26-09, 10:30 PM
nap
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Hey, if it is good enough for NASCAR it's good enough for me. .
well, it wasn't good enough for Dale Earnhardt

Old 09-27-09, 05:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dale Earnhart didn't have his seat and restraints installed in the best manner. His way was more comfortable and maybe gave him more controll of the race car. That's not too say that his crash wouldn't have been fatal. The HANS device would have made a difference which is why it is mandatory now.

Another thing to consider about the modern day car and the 59 is the interior. The dash used to be painted metal, chrome was usually used to dress up the cockpit, only a lap belt [if any], short seat backs, no air bags, little or no padding, etc. The crumple zone engineering is just one factor that makes today's cars safer. There is no doubt in my mind that if a 50 yr old car had all the modern safety technology - it would be safer than our current cars.... but all that weight and lack of aerodynamics wouldn't = better fuel miliage.

Old 09-27-09, 12:08 PM
Didn't Earnhardt's neck snap from the sudden stop?

It is possible in car crashes that the cabin of the car is intact, yet someone dies from having their neck snap. The weight of their 8 pound head flies forward, then recoils violently. A helmet makes it worse. That is where that Hans system I guess helps.

I watched him get killed. At first it looked like a relatively minor impact. The car faired very well. But it was head on and the wall did not give any. He was jinxed, how his car veered up the track head on into the wall the way it did. Really really odd how that happened. Like it was his determined time to go.

The drivers fair far better at making it through those spectacular end over end, or barrel roll crashes, at 200mph, when heading down the track, or glancing off the curved wall at a turn in the track.

Old 09-27-09, 01:11 PM
I wish they had done that crash with my old 51 chevy. It would have gone through that modern car and probably not gotten a scratch. Well maybe a few. H frame and 2000 lbs of steel it felt like. Just hard on clutches.

Old 09-28-09, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Didn't Earnhardt's neck snap from the sudden stop?"

I think so or at least something like that. He had been warned by Bill Simpson that his safety restraints [and seat?] weren't installed properly but he ignored the warnings because the suggested way wasn't as comfortable and hindered his driving style. That's not to say that it would have been enough to save his life but we'll never know.

I also watched that race and didn't realize at first how severe it was but you could tell in Darrell Waltrip's voice that he was concerned. Did you see Joey Lagano's crash yesterday?

Old 09-28-09, 03:17 PM
nap
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post

It is possible in car crashes that the cabin of the car is intact, yet someone dies from having their neck snap.
that is one reason a minor accident in a current model year vehicle causes so much damage. The entire car is designed to absorb the impact and diffuse it so it is not imparted directly upon the occupants. To absorb the inertia, it must be destroyed.

Old 09-29-09, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I wish they had done that crash with my old 51 chevy. It would have gone through that modern car and probably not gotten a scratch. Well maybe a few. H frame and 2000 lbs of steel it felt like. Just hard on clutches.
See if you or someone here can find such a video on the web.

Did you see Mythbusters where they tried to split a car in half with a V- snowplow blade, according to what some 'myth' said has happened in real?