Baffling * Any theories as to why people on side of rode get mowed down?

Old 09-22-09, 06:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Baffling * Any theories as to why people on side of rode get mowed down?

(My post, while proofreading it, went poof, and it disappeared before my eyes! If that is how my day is going to go!!!! )

Heard on news minutes ago how 3 motorcyclists were on side of road for repairs and a car careened at them, hit them and 1 is dead. Locally we have had such incidents with state trooper and country cop, both dead! Tv shows show this on camera while car is pulled over.

What gives? You'd think cars would move over and the odds would be less you'd get struck on side of road! I am afraid to park on side of road as I have had to do, especially not understanding why this happens. If it happens with cops even, while lights flashing...........????

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-09, 06:40 AM
Called "white line fever". You follow the right solid line of the roadway more than you do the center of the road. If the car is barely pulled off the roadway, the officer has to approach in a danger zone. Not a good option. Approaching cars will also follow lights, whether they are flashing or not.
I had a trucker friend who was following the right line on an interstate in California. Followed it right up an exit ramp and over the other side. No on ramp on the other side. After they combined his 3 log books, they determined he had been driving for 14 hours.
I was driving my wife's Saturn coming from Atlanta one day and was pulled over by the locals. He said you were hugging the middle line a little too much and thought I had been drinking. I explained I didn't drive this car much and was accustomed to a Dodge Ram 3500 flatbed and in the mountains you HAD to hug the middle line or chance running off the narrow roads. Just habit. "Have a nice day" was his reply.

Old 09-22-09, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Now that's interesting. I have always followed the center or left line but I'm mostly self taught and when I was leaning was terrified of on coming cars so always concentrated on staying well left of center. Or maybe it is learning when your past 30 and believe in your own mortality.

Old 09-22-09, 09:40 AM
I remember with the advent of the right line, and cars still had hood ornaments, the theory was to line up your sight to and through the hood ornament to the white line, and you would be in the middle of the road. I guess that didn't work too well for my 4'6" cousin who had to sit on a pillow to drive.

Old 09-22-09, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
I hate doing hookups and tire changes on the side of the interstate. Have to keep one eye up the road for idiots and one on the job. Haven't seen much change in drivers' habits since Move Over law was enacted which is a $125 fine and 3 points.

Old 09-22-09, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Now that's interesting. I have always followed the center or left line but I'm mostly self taught and when I was leaning was terrified of on coming cars so always concentrated on staying well left of center. Or maybe it is learning when your past 30 and believe in your own mortality.
ray...which side do they drive on down there? You stayed left of center to AVOID cars? Seems like you'd get 'em every time that way....lol

TG when I drove one for a while, our company policy was that if you didn't have enough room to safely park behind the car to protect you or couldn't get the car off the road due to steep drop offs or walls or such, we'd hook it up and take it off the freeway where we could do it safely. A lot quicker to get it on the hook and move it than to change the tire right there.

Ecman...here in this tiny town..we just had a 70 y/o guy and his little pooch get hit and killed by a 16 y/o girl. And it was on a wide open street at about 7pm (well before sunset) in a 35 mph zone! He was off to the side on the dirt/gravel path. Girl wasn't speeding or chemically impaired (surprise, surprise), but they think she was on her cell, which has been shown to be worse than being over the limit.

Old 09-22-09, 02:22 PM
Then you have the chumps who think the side of the road is this:

YouTube - Rear End from HELL

Old 09-22-09, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
ray...which side do they drive on down there? You stayed left of center to AVOID cars? Seems like you'd get 'em every time that way....lol
I meant at 2am when I was coming home from the ice house. LOL

Old 09-22-09, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I was driving my wife's Saturn ......hugging the middle line a little too much ......and in the mountains you HAD to hug the middle line or chance running off the narrow roads. Just habit.
And I make a habit now of not flying anymore, nor traveling mountainous roads. I get dizzy now watching tv when they show a car racing around curves on mountainous roads with big drop offs. Nope, not I. I wonder if John Madden is somehow related to me.

Then I really shake my head in disbelief what those guys on "Jackass" do, (like I saw the other night) like when they were on a 4-man teeter totter in a bull ring, being charged by the enraged bull, with horns!!! What?! World gone mad, or I must have turned into a woos as time went on.

Old 09-22-09, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Now that's interesting. I have always followed the center or left line........
When rounding sharper right curves, I find it easier to guide off the right white 'fog' line.

Old 09-22-09, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Ecman...here in this tiny town..we just had a 70 y/o guy and his little pooch get hit and killed by a 16 y/o girl. And it was on a wide open street at about 7pm (well before sunset) in a 35 mph zone! He was off to the side on the dirt/gravel path. Girl wasn't speeding or chemically impaired (surprise, surprise), but they think she was on her cell, which has been shown to be worse than being over the limit.
But even if she was on her cell, does that mean everytime she is on her cell, she careens off the road? I bet not. So why did she get magnetically attracted to the man and dog? I was going to say elderly, buyt that ain't elderly anymore. It's like those people getting killed are jinxed!

Old 09-22-09, 04:56 PM
TG, so the move over law is for anyone parked on the side of the road, and not just cops?

Old 09-22-09, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Then you have the chumps who think the side of the road is this:

YouTube - Rear End from HELL
Holy mackerel!!! That is what I'm talking about! What in the world is up with this business? That trucker turned that car into confetti!

I wonder though....before the filming started, was the car weaving over to the left?, and the truck thought he'd dodge the car to the right?

I like the way I spelled "road" in my thread title. Sheesh.

Old 09-22-09, 07:08 PM
Interseting post......
As driving is a large part of my job (about a 4,000 miles a month) I see more and more drivers hugging or drifting over the center line which causes me to vere over into the right shoulder.
I think most of it is the popularirty of cell phone texting and emailing while driving but correct me if I'm wrong but I think some of it is young drivers with bad attitudes deliberately drifting over the center line to force the opposing driver to move out of the way sort of like "Chicken" but not telling the other driver.

Old 09-22-09, 08:40 PM
A girl, 17-21 years old, stopped beside me at a light. She wasnt using her cell. My camera was buried and I never got a pic. So now no one believes me.

Old 09-23-09, 04:38 AM
I sold an old '72 Ford F100 to a guy locally. He called a short time later to inform me he was in the hospital. A teenager, on her cell phone drifted into his lane so he ditched it into a ravine about 150 down. The EMT's figured it was body bag time, but he only got a little banged up, mainly because of the massive steel frame surrounding him. Had it been a modern F150, he wouldn't have stood a chance. All this to say I am a firm believer in using hands free devices. I pass one contractor every day on the highway and he ALWAYS has his phone to his ear. I am on the phone a lot, but I use a bluetooth. Face it, you can't drive, hold a phone, write notes, drink coffee.....let's see, that's 4 hands used up....!

Old 09-23-09, 04:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to paint for one builder that stayed on the phone constantly. We saw him one day on our way home, left elbow on the wheel, left hand holding the phone reaching over to write something on his note pad with his right hand. He ran off onto the shoulder doing 45-50mph but never slowed down, just used his elbow to get back on the road

While he was well liked by all the subs, I don't think any of them wanted to ride with him. I can't comprehend how anyone can text while they drive but then again about 20 yrs ago I passed a woman on the interstate that was reading a book while she drove

Old 09-23-09, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
A girl, 17-21 years old, stopped beside me at a light. She wasnt using her cell. My camera was buried and I never got a pic. So now no one believes me.
I like that! Ya. Everytine I am on my cell phone, I ask myself how many others are talking business while they are driving, like I am - especially the girls. My mother hates it when she is in a restaurant, or grocery store line and someone is on their cell phone.

My mother says she likes the good old days before cell phones and computers and my parents will not own a computer. My mom says she hears that people get all this spam e-mail all the time that they got to sort through. And that there is so much filth on the internet also.

Old 09-23-09, 06:39 AM
Face it, you can't drive, hold a phone, write notes, drink coffee.....let's see, that's 4 hands used up....!
Ya, but not everyone does all those at once. I have cell, food, drink - one at a time....and write notes at stop and go lights. I have seem people driving down the road reading a book or map.

While talking on a cell phone, it also depends what is being talked about as to how that affects your consentration. If you are asked to try to figure that "if a train left Philly at 8am and another train traveling the same speed left Denver....you know.

Old 09-23-09, 06:44 AM
marksr,

Years ago when I had barely learned to drive, I rode a lot with my boss, fast down 2-lane bumpy roads. And he would simply use his one hand and no fingers. Actually, they drive with their wrist. I always wondered what would happen if something suddenly started to suck the car sideways, like some bad bump in the road or whatever.

I see lots of guys drive that way to this day, but I never have. In a way, it makes me seen less talented of a driver, but I am the kind of person who does not like taking chances when it comes to safety.

Old 09-23-09, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
One job I had was a mobile home company. Just a helper so the the repair person would drive. Lots of calls in the middle of no where on two lane roads that followed the path of a drunk cow. He literately drove 90MPH while thumbing through the Key map to see where he was going. Thank goodness the cell phone hadn't been invented or I'm sure he would have been on that as he thumbed through the Key map.

Old 09-23-09, 05:09 PM
Ray,

A helpless feeling eh? I think most people are kind of afraid to speak up, also.

A queezy feeling like what you might get if you are on a plane and there is severe turbulance and you know they can't just land the plane in 1 second, and you wonder if the wing might fly off right when you are looking out the window at it. You are in a helpless situation, at the mercy of somethign or someone else.

Old 09-23-09, 06:34 PM
nap
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
And I make a habit now of not flying anymore, nor traveling mountainous roads. I get dizzy now watching tv when they show a car racing around curves on mountainous roads with big drop offs..
Hey ecman, want to navigate while I drive in next years Pikes Peak run?

YouTube - Tajima at Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2007

or here is another one with some "drivers perspective" shots:

YouTube - Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak

Old 09-24-09, 07:59 AM
nap,

Are you serious? You going to do that? And me navigate? Me sit there helpless trusting you do not fly off the cliff? I might think a lot of your mental aptitude, but I could not sit in that seat in the helpless position. No way, no how! Plunging hundreds or thousands of feet to my demise is not my chosen way. No thank you.

Didn't that tv show's tattooed Jesse James dude do somthing like this race? Just watching stuff like this on tv makes me dizzy! I get dizzy when I watch the tv camera fly over the Alps, revealing that drop off, in the movie "The Sound of Music"!

More about the baffling theory: How about for some odd reason, drivers are attracted to off-road cars and particularly off road lights in the way flies are attracted to a light? How's that for a theory? Yet, if true, it still seems odd why they don't steer away from it rather than toward it. In cases where cops being mowed down one could suspect intentional cop-killers, but I doubt it. I think it be too hard to get away with, and chancy.

Statistically? More women or more men cause these types of accidents? Or pretty split?

Old 09-24-09, 12:52 PM
Ec, never been to the Imax in Chicago?? Outta sight! Carry a barf bag.

Old 09-24-09, 01:01 PM
nap
absolutely. Ecman, if you are around Chicago, or anybody that has a 70 or 80 foot tall screen, you need to go and see it. I have not seen anything in 3D on IMAX screens but I bet it would be cool.

I did see a 3D film down the road from the IMAX though at this place.

Old 09-24-09, 02:27 PM
A little off topic, but you often hear about how people think the older cars of yesteryear were tanks. Well, they were made of lots of metal, but after watching this video, makes me think.

YouTube - 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air Vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu IIHS Offset

Old 09-24-09, 02:48 PM
Nap, you are "righter", it was the Museum of Science and Industry. If I remember correctly, the seats leaned back to the reclined position automatically and you were looking up at a dark dome until it all starts. The sound system sets off vibrations in each seat, making you part of the audio. Then the sky lights up and you are flying into infinity.
The building is so big one small, and I mean small cubicle houses a Boeing 727.
Did you go to the Aquarium as well? Nice.
I was stuck in Chicago the winter of '93, working on a United catering take over. Had to find something to do on my days off, so we ventured into downtown. Took the hotel shuttle to the airport, took the "L" to Marshall Fields, and voila, you're downtown. Walked everywhere else. 3' of snow, so driving was nearly impossible. Lake Michigan was frozen as far as the eye could see. Little bitty dots out there.....fishing huts. Kiss my grits.
To quote Lewis Grizzard again, "Chicago has two seasons.....Winter and the 4th of July"

Old 09-24-09, 03:45 PM
nap
I live about 100 miles to the east of chicago so it was a destination for family adventures.

did you see the submarine at the museum

Did you go to the Sears Tower (now the Willis Tower). They have a new thing there:

observation deathtraps...I mean observations balconies (you have to see these ecman)

Old 09-24-09, 04:38 PM
No. But when I was at Disney World I watched a movie on a 360 degree screen. And I have seen 3-D movies at the movie theater.

If they showed some movie in 3-D with cars racing around bluffs, that be my undoing. I'd get very dizzy. I recently watched on one of the cable channels the scariest rides in the world that are ontop of skyscrapers and launch you in the air, even higher than the skyscraper is already! Or zing you out horizontally where the ride over extends the tracks from skyscraper height. That made me dizzy. People that ride such rides must be out of their mind. You'd think the ride company would have to provide physicals or require you to present evidence you just had one, before they let you go on such rides. You'd think some people's hearts might up and quit!

Old 09-24-09, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
A little off topic, but you often hear about how people think the older cars of yesteryear were tanks. Well, they were made of lots of metal, but after watching this video, makes me think.

YouTube - 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air Vs. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu IIHS Offset
That is quite shocking. I would have thought the massive front bumper of the 59, attached to a madssive frame would have sheered some unibody? type car of today in half. Instead, it looks like neither car faired very well. And actully the 59 got quite obliterated with car parts actually flying off. Quite amazing.

Old 09-24-09, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I live about 100 miles to the east of chicago so it was a destination for family adventures.

did you see the submarine at the museum

Did you go to the Sears Tower (now the Willis Tower). They have a new thing there:

observation deathtraps...I mean [URL="http://media.photobucket.com/image/willis%20tower%20observation%20deck/mtfenning/DSC_0407.jpgobservations balconies [/URL](you have to see these ecman)
Is there a certain image there that is supposed to be something really bad?

I have been up in the Sears Tower observation deck and that doesn't bother me, in a building.

I would not want to have been a riveter, like from the Three Stooges on the Empire State building and get vibrated to the very end of a girder.

The new skyscrpaer well under way to completion in Dubai, will dwarf all other structures, including the World's tallest cabled tv towers at 2,600'!(not a misprint)

Old 09-24-09, 05:22 PM
nap
Is there a certain image there that is supposed to be something really bad?

I have been up in the Sears Tower observation deck and that doesn't bother me, in a building.

I would not want to have been a riveter, like from the Three Stooges on the Empire State building and get vibrated to the very end of a girder.

The new skyscrpaer well under way to completion in Dubai, will dwarf all other structures, including the World's tallest cabled tv towers at 2,600'!(not a misprint)
yes, go to the links. While you are still "in" the building, you are sort of not in the building.

and the Burj Dubai is now topped out and measures (to the tip of the spire) 2684 ft. (over 1/2 mile) (height from Wikipedia) and compared to the Willis (Sears) Tower at about 1450 feet (to tip of antennae).
Burj Dubai Official Website

and just to make you feel better, ec, the Sears Tower sways about 6 inches from center (I suppose that would be a foot total) in heavy wind loading.

and if you liked the Sears tower ec, try the CN Tower in Toronto Canada. It is 1815 ft tall but they have an observation deck at 1465 ft and it has a GLASS FLOOR on part of it. My daughter has some pics looking down to the ground while on the glass.

Old 09-24-09, 05:28 PM
nap
That is quite shocking. I would have thought the massive front bumper of the 59, attached to a madssive frame would have sheered some unibody? type car of today in half. Instead, it looks like neither car faired very well. And actully the 59 got quite obliterated with car parts actually flying off. Quite amazing.
the newer car actually did quite well.

you did read at the end where the safety engineers determined the driver of the 2009 would have suffered minor knee injury while the driver of the 1959 would have died instantly, yes?

there is a huge amount of engineering in a modern car designed to dissipate crash energy and not injure the occupants. The front crumple zone did what it was designed to do.

Old 09-24-09, 06:12 PM
Yeah, if I remember correctly the sub was downstairs, and outside the main building in a sort of pavillion. They may have enclosed it by now.

Old 09-25-09, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
yes, go to the links. While you are still "in" the building, you are sort of not in the building.

and the Burj Dubai is now topped out and measures (to the tip of the spire) 2684 ft. (over 1/2 mile) (height from Wikipedia) and compared to the Willis (Sears) Tower at about 1450 feet (to tip of antennae).
Burj Dubai Official Website

and just to make you feel better, ec, the Sears Tower sways about 6 inches from center (I suppose that would be a foot total) in heavy wind loading.

and if you liked the Sears tower ec, try the CN Tower in Toronto Canada. It is 1815 ft tall but they have an observation deck at 1465 ft and it has a GLASS FLOOR on part of it. My daughter has some pics looking down to the ground while on the glass.
I can't imagine being a workman on that Dubai tower. I wonder how many plunged to their death? They probably could have said the entire Lord's Prayer on the way down.

If I were to go out on that CNN glass observation floor, I would first test it first. Envision "Monk".

Old 09-25-09, 07:57 AM
nap, I am in total shock as to the crash test results. It is as if they left out the engine/transmission of the 59. I did not think the new lighter car faired as well, as first observed when you see all the angles. But if you say that driver would have survived and the other one woud not have, I take your word for it.

Am I wrong on this or what?: Didn't the 59 have a frame and the new car not have one really? That is what baffles me. How can a tin can, even with crumple zones, obliterate that heavy-metal 59? That is just amazing to me? Doesn't that defy the law of physics when dealing with mass and inertial momentum? That be like watching a video that shows a bicycle obliterating a freight train locomotive ????

Old 09-25-09, 08:01 AM
Yeah, if I remember correctly the sub was downstairs, and outside the main building in a sort of pavillion. They may have enclosed it by now.

Chandler,

?????? What is this in reference to?

Old 09-25-09, 01:26 PM
Sorry, so much took place between nap's post of yesterday at 645 and the others. I should have quoted him. We were discussing the Museum in Chicago.

Old 09-25-09, 03:43 PM
nap
nap, I am in total shock as to the crash test results. It is as if they left out the engine/transmission of the 59. I did not think the new lighter car faired as well, as first observed when you see all the angles. But if you say that driver would have survived and the other one woud not have, I take your word for it.

Am I wrong on this or what?: Didn't the 59 have a frame and the new car not have one really? That is what baffles me. How can a tin can, even with crumple zones, obliterate that heavy-metal 59? That is just amazing to me? Doesn't that defy the law of physics when dealing with mass and inertial momentum? That be like watching a video that shows a bicycle obliterating a freight train locomotive ????
the suggested injuries were on the video. I didn't make that call.

yes, the 59 had a frame. An X frame to be more precise rather than a typical side rail frame. I believe that is one reason the 59 was so devastated. The frame was most likely not pushed nearly as far back as the body. I think the newer car ripped the body from the frame (on the 59) and since the bodies were not that strong without the frame, you get what you got. In the newer car, since there is no frame, each part becomes structural so they are, by necessity, stronger. Along with that, the body is designed to crumple in a specific fashion to direct the forces away from the passenger compartment. The engine is designed to slide under the body rather than get crammed into the passenger compartment.