Leno: Could This Be NBC's Plan?

Old 09-25-09, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Leno: Could This Be NBC's Plan?

Some TV writers are saying that even low ratings will keep NBC happy because it costs 3 times as much to produce a scripted drama. Note the smaller networks, Fox, WB, have never scheduled three hours. I wonder if this is NBC's way of easing into a 2 hour schedule.

Back in the days of the Carson Tonight show it started at 10:15/11:15 and when local news shows started running a half hour Ed McMahon covered the first 15 min. so those stations with short news service could still go to the Tonight Show but eventually it changed to 10:30/11:30.

That change was obviously driven by the affiliates. Could be this is NBC's way of going to a 2 hour prime time schedule. Obviously the can't just pull the plug. To many affiliates would scream but if ratings are low enough local affiliates will start asking to run their own programming that makes them more money and eventually the last hour will fade into history..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-09, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can't ever remember 15 minute news. But I do remember the show being 1 1/2 hours long.

To save money even more in the furture, maybe they will forget real people and use voice over animated. That way, like in the case of Jay Leno, they could show him as an exaggerated caricature. And they could have a hayday with a Dolly Parton Variety show, let's say.

I see more and more commercials doing this. I've watched those computer games to where the animation has got quite realistic.

Old 09-26-09, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
To save money even more in the furture, maybe they will forget real people and use voice over animated. That way, like in the case of Jay Leno, they could show him as an exaggerated caricature.
Do you mean something like this: YouTube - The Sims Present "I'm My Own Grandpa"

Old 09-27-09, 11:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes.

So why pay real people that want millions of dollars?

Old 09-27-09, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
You guys should see the virtual dealers they have at some of the tables in LV...you'd swear they were real women..and they probably are simulations of real women...but they are definitely CGI.