Holmes

Old 09-26-09, 06:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Holmes

I have one question. I have been watching Holmes on Homes lately and am appalled at the things they are discovering and having to correct. My question is, have we thrown framing nailing out the window? They almost use screws exclusively, even for hard framing. The common consensus is that screws are more brittle than nails, and aren't used in framing for that reason. Looking for comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-09, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Most (all but two I've seen actually) of their programs are in Canada. They have different products and they have been tested. I don't think he's just using Deckmates. Just like I'm sure you've noticed, he uses a bunch of Timberstrand framing...ever see anyone use that extensively? He couldn't even shoot framing nails into it to attach sill plates.

Old 09-26-09, 12:32 PM
TJI is tough stuff. I had to build a two story deck at their plant near my house once. I gave them a cut list, they cut it, shipped it to be pressure treated and had it on hand for me to build. Ever had a solid 24' 2x10 ?? No seams anywhere. They cut it at 63 foot lengths, because that is how long a railroad side car is. Otherwise there is no practical end to the material. And you are right, driving 3" nails in it is a bear. The nails go in hot, heat the glue between the lams up and they stop like shooting into steel.

Old 09-26-09, 03:30 PM
I'm no carpenter, or framer, but using screws for studs is a problem? I know screws may not be as strong as nails when it comes to shear strength, but does a stud need shear protection? I ask that, because I honestly do not know.

Old 09-26-09, 04:04 PM
Mark, maybe not for studs alone since they only have vertical weight, but when you get into rafters or other torque-able framing members, it has been the consensus that screws are too brittle to take the twisting.
Now, personally, I like to use the torx head screws for repair work, etc. I was just drawing attention to their exclusive use of screws on all members. Screws are slower than nail guns, so I was just looking for justification and practicability.

Old 09-26-09, 04:29 PM
Yeah, seems like a pneumatic nailer would be 100x faster then a screw.

Old 09-26-09, 05:04 PM
And to screw into 2x without having to drill first? can be hard, and hard on the drill. And in tight grain wood probably cause
screw heads to sometimes come off.

Chandler,

What are they having to correct on that show? Never saw the show. Must be on some channel I do not get?

Old 09-27-09, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
It's on HGTV on Fri and Sat here...used to be Discovery IIRC. Its all reruns right now...

Old 09-27-09, 06:45 AM
In my area I don't think that screws used for framing would get past the inspector. Unless things have changed in the building code, framing members must be attached according to a nailing schedule.

FWIW I am probably the only guy in North America that can't stand that Holmes guy. He just rubs me the wrong way. Arrogant as hell and way to willing to spend $50K to correct a thousand dollar problem. I still remember a show where he tore up a concrete slab because he was convinced it wasn't "to code" only to find out that it was fine.

Old 09-27-09, 07:16 AM
he's also going to have a new show called Holmes Inspection to begin this fall on HGTV canada.

Old 09-27-09, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
I still remember a show where he tore up a concrete slab because he was convinced it wasn't "to code" only to find out that it was fine.
Sounds like a blunder that is surprising they aired it. What did he say on tv? "Whoopsadaisy....it was fine as is, folks. I guess I'll eat this one!" ???

Old 09-27-09, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
So many of the projects/problems he goes to have no permits, plans, or inspections...so sometimes they don't know how its built until they demo it.

Yeah, he does come across as having a bit of attitude but many, MANY people I have known that are good at their jobs come across the same way. Heck, I was at my last job too! I enjoyed what I did, learned a lot and didn't put up with half-a$$ed jobs by the people I worked with.

ecman...if you have all but the most basic cable..you should be able to get it..you'd probably like the shows.

Old 09-27-09, 12:36 PM
Don't get Hgtv.

I saw Bob Villa advertising that heater in the wee hours last night. Wow, has he gotten older in looks and voice, from when he was on This Old House! I couldn't believe it.

I watched that whole infomercial, wondering if Bob really believes these are more energy efficient than "coil-type(electric element) space heaters". I got to see the exploded view of the heater now and totally understand the concept now. But still not sure whether to believe it or not. They gave conflicting stories of how much the company claims you can save on your monthly energy bills, and the much larger figures unpaid testimonial people (they showed) said they were saving. I thought that was rather odd. I figured that if they can't even get their infomercial's stories to jibe, then why should I believe them at all?!

Old 09-27-09, 12:57 PM
Aw, Holmes is OK, just a little arrogant. Reminds me of me, sometimes (according to wifey). I like to do things correctly, and in the remodeling business I have to let clients know up front when we get to a certain point, if codes weren't followed, I will either have to correct it (at their expense) or let them get someone else. Most are taken aback at what we find sometimes, because we didn't have an inspection program until 5 years ago, and the attitude was, no inspectors, go ahead. Have never had one not go ahead and do it right. I find things like Holmes does....j boxes covered up, framing members crippled in odd places, underbuilt headers/beams, poor sealing of windows and doors, etc.

Old 09-27-09, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Thats what I mean chandler...
I'd rather have someone who critisizes what was done before,has a bit of attitude, but "does it right", than someone who will cut corners to save time and money.

I've said it before though..if someone won't right a contract with milestones and all, or doesn't want permits...then the homeowner gets what they payed for.

Old 09-27-09, 11:42 PM
I like Holmes but too much drama sometimes. I saw an episode where he tore up a laminate floor saying it was a disaster and installed wrong. I was watching it with my wife and told her he was dead wrong. Later he admitted it was actually to spec but he didn't like it anyway so it needed to be replaced. He also tore open a whole wall because of the dangerous wiring with hidden connections. It was telephone wiring! Watch and you may notice some of the horrible jobs he finds aren't really that bad or sometimes not even wrong.

But he does find some real fraud jobs.

Old 09-28-09, 02:59 AM
do the homeowners have to pay for his "mastakes" if he rips up a wall only to find its to code or the bad wiring is not even hooked up but just left there.

Old 09-28-09, 03:52 AM
From what I understand in reading other posts here and off site, he has a little money, and sponsors ante up much of the money used to do the projects and produce the show. Gotta figure, $50k in advertising money isn't difficult to come by for prime exposure. Not the Super Bowl, but it has an audience.

Search this Thread