DOuble roll isn't really double....

Old 09-30-09, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
DOuble roll isn't really double....

OK, just because this kind of stuff gripes me...

Had to replenish the stock of TP the other day (Cottonelle if ya really want to know...lol). Checking prices and all..I noticed the double roll multipack looked like a good deal..UNTIL I actually looked at the quantity...

Single rolls have 200 sheets of 4" x 4.2" pieces...double rolls have 308 sheets of the exact same size! How the heck is that a double roll? Esp when they say "12 double rolls = 24 single rolls" in big letters on the package.

Maybe they should start saying they are 1.5+ rolls instead?

Who wants to start a class action? We could prob get free TP for life....lol

OK...I feel better...the meds are kicking in...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-09, 01:32 PM
Gunguy, we really gotta find you a hobby!

But that IS an interesting observation on the number of tissues. Seems like the Federal Trade Commission or someone like that might be interested in false advertising claims. I usually buy the double roll packages, so next time I'll look a lot more closely. Might be worth a letter to the manufacturer to ask them about their new definition of "double".

Beer 4U2

Old 09-30-09, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Oh God this is personal but I use Scott single rolls because comparing actual number of sheets of same size not diameter of roll I found it was a good per foot price. I honestly think those fluffy rolls are fluffy not because the TP company cares about my bottom but because it makes the roll look bigger then it is..

Old 09-30-09, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have no preference when it comes to TP - after all, they all do the same thing and are then flushed..... but my wife won't use anything but the double rolls [and only certain brands] Since she almost always buys the tp - I let her have her way

Old 09-30-09, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
GG, they are probably comparing their own products, and have a product with only 154 sheets per roll, so their claim of being a "double" roll would be legitimate. You can't compare Scott with Cottonelle, or other brands.
Beck had a guy on his show one time from Scott tissue, and for quite a while they discussed the methodology of how they arrived at how much tissue each person used per trip.

Old 09-30-09, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
chandler...yeah I get what ya mean...but hey..the same brand single roll is right beside the doubles.

That would be like saying our new truck gets 100% better milage than our old truck with 200% more horsepower....(oh..and we meant our 2010 model vs our 1934 model).

@marksr...you must be more of a harda$$ than I am....lol

Old 09-30-09, 04:05 PM
Off topic, sort of. GG, I see where your legislature and governor has approved storing firearms locked in parked cars at your job. Now, you gotta get a job and quit worrying about what you wipe yourself with. Gee!!

Old 09-30-09, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Store 'em? Store 'em? What the heck is that? At least one is with me all the time.
Yeah..my thread, nothing off topic..so...

That was for the businesses that said no firearms on their property. Not sure how it works for things like churches and schools though..not that thats a huge problem for me.

Oh...and what was that word you used? j..o..b.. what is that? lol..

It'll happen (or not) once the economy picks up..right now I just do little stuff for the older folks on the block..and pretty darn cheap I must say!

I do think I will send a comment to the makers of the TP and see what the response is...

Old 09-30-09, 05:58 PM
I buy tp by the pound. They don't fool me none! You ought to see the looks I get at grocery store by passers by who see me comparing weights of tp brands on digital scale.

Old 09-30-09, 06:04 PM
Actually toilet paper has continually shrunk in sheet size and qty over the years. A std 2 ply tp used to be 4.5x4.5 500 sheet. For a very long time it was that size and 350 sheet (about 8 years ago) now you'll find companies who have a 4.25x3.1 200 sheet roll.

One time at a trade show one of my coworkers was joking with a prospect about some new toilet tissue and he said "yea, I have a case in my glovebox....." I guess you had to be there.

Old 10-01-09, 08:28 AM
Here is why the per pound aspect is valid. At my bosses toilet, you just need like 3 sheets to do the job. He buys the top of the line tp. But at commercial places I go to, I have to unravel enormous footage of tp and I wad it up in my hand, it is like wadding cotton candy. What are they thinking?!

I think I heard once on tv where someone recommended we save the trees by using one sheet. Uh..... ya..... right. I'd like to see the person try that with that thin flimsy junk that also feels like dry leaves when you use it! And to think they used corn cobs in outhouses years ago?, supposedly?

Old 10-02-09, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Well in some countries they don't use toilet paper, just one hand and a little water. Would that count as Green Technology and be eligible for a tax break?

Old 10-02-09, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
geez ray...more than I really wanted ta know (remember, actually).

But I think it would only count if it was recycled....lol

Ok...someone needs to just close this before the male potty humor gets out of hand....

I'll repost if I ever receive a reply from the maker.....

Old 10-02-09, 04:54 PM
Did you e-mail them? It would have been fun talking to a real voice, and hearing what they had to say, and or how many times they passed the buck to some other dept.. And to see how fast they could respond without having nothing but dead silense momentarily, while they think what to make u......I mean, say.

Old 10-15-09, 06:26 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Well in some countries they don't use toilet paper, just one hand and a little water.
really???

is that what a bidet (sp?) is all about??? i've never been sure and never really wanted to ASK anyone!!! so...there's no TP involved with a bidet? no toweling off afterward....???

Old 10-16-09, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Nice to see you back Annette...where ya been hiding.

In my limited experience..bidets are for liquid only and for personal hygiene. I've never seen JUST a bidet in any of the bathrooms that had them, there was also a regular flush toilet. So you did yer "bidness" in the toilet then moved over for cleaning I guess.They use warm water (actually you adjust the temp, just like a faucet) but there is still some drying involved. I have seen/heard of the newer fancier ones that also will blow warm air for drying.

Everything you wanted to know about a bidet (but were afraid to ask) is here....Bidet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-09, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hmmm. Wonder where the phase " the mucky end of the stick" came from. Definitely not Charmin.

Old 10-16-09, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Goldstar...you were paraphrasing (?) right...lol.

Just noticed you are in S. OH...I grew up about 90 miles north in Miami county (Troy, Piqua area). Don't miss the weather, but I occasionally miss the farm people.

Old 10-16-09, 02:22 PM
I'd imagine it snows and sometimes gets below 0......in Miami County. Something just does not sound right about that, does it?

Old 10-16-09, 02:47 PM
The bidets or bidÍ are used in several countries. basically there are 3 types of fixtures

1 - The standard bidet
It is a fixture that resembles a toilet but the shape looks more like a number 8. You can use it with cold water / warm water. The dims below are in mm
It has several uses. In the image below, the feature marked in green, is an inverted shower. This is used for personal hygiene. It is not true that is used instead of toilet paper. This used after the toilet paper. Also, it is used for feminine hygiene.
In addition, it has a perimetric water distribution (red squares in the image). As the drain (outlined in blue) has two positions (open / shut), the bidet can be converted in a basin for feet hygiene, for example

This fixture is very used in South America and Europe

2 - The Toilet / Bidet combo
In some countries (like Japan for example) , space is an issue,
so they have the inverted shower embedded in the toilet
This is an example (sorry the page is not in English, is just to show the images)

3 - Hygienic shower with hose
As an additional fixture became too expensive, some countries (as Brazil, for example) use this manual shower.
It works like the spray feature (kitchen sink) and it is located close to the toilet. Again, it is used after the toilet paper

Old 10-16-09, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah ec...Miami, as in river and Indians..not as in FL. Snows...oh..you could say that. Wish I still had the pic my parents sent..the drifts on the sides of the State Route they lived on were so high, that my Mom standing on the sill of the GMC p/u they had..couldn't reach over the top. BOTH sides of the road.....

Even after the roads were plowed..my Dad had to take the old tractor down to pick up the mail.

Wonder why I live in AZ?

Old 10-16-09, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Wonder why I live in AZ?"

cause it's the only place they haven't run you out of .... sorry, I just couldn't resist

I grew up in michigan and I remember some of those winters with the high snowfall totals. Remember the orange balls the gas stations gave out for you to put on your antenna so other drivers could see where you were at an intersection.

Old 10-16-09, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Wonder why I live in AZ?

So you can cook to death?

I heard that October 23 is the record for having a day at 100 degrees there. And they said on The Weather Channel last night, that you may come close this year as to whether you could break that record.

Old 10-16-09, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
110-112..no problem..once you adjust. You just don't work as fast or hard. First year I was all about shorts and stuff. This year it was shorts for the first few weeks of warm weather..then I went to jeans....now I wear a light jacket if its below 70...lol

Amazing how 7-12% humidity makes such a difference.

Oh..highest its been where I live has been about 114...across the mountains and near the river it got to something like 119 on labor day last year...A local jewelry store lost something like $150k in a contest..of course they were insured for it.

Old 10-16-09, 05:37 PM
I just figured he was one step ahead of issued warrants in Ohio. And Arizona wouldn't extradite him.

Old 10-16-09, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh jeez you guys are raggin on me bad now....come on..I spent 24 yrs fixing stuff so the people that knew how could defend us....

How did we get from small TP rolls to this....lol

Old 10-17-09, 03:07 AM
Years ago ---One of our suppliers rented Southfork Ranch ( JR ranch-Dallas ) for the weekend.
We were having dinner in the so called garage---I said " today is just a pretty day"--
Are you crazy--it's 95 deg.--the locals were burning up.
There was almost no humidity---It didn't compare to MI ---95 usually has a very high humidity & feels uncomfortable..............
Whatever floats your boat...............................

Old 10-17-09, 04:10 AM
GG, you know we're just raggin'. I would expect the same from you guys! Seems like all the posts in this part of the forum get subject changes bout half way thru.

Old 10-23-09, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Nice to see you back Annette...where ya been hiding.

In my limited experience..bidets are for liquid only and for personal hygiene. I've never seen JUST a bidet in any of the bathrooms that had them, there was also a regular flush toilet. So you did yer "bidness" in the toilet then moved over for cleaning I guess.They use warm water (actually you adjust the temp, just like a faucet) but there is still some drying involved. I have seen/heard of the newer fancier ones that also will blow warm air for drying.

Everything you wanted to know about a bidet (but were afraid to ask) is here....Bidet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in my defense, i DID know that bidets were IN ADDITION TO toilets, not IN PLACE OF them!!! and i do thank ye kindly for the lowdown, but honestly......TMI!!!! way yonder TMI, actually. i guess it's just whatever you're used to but - egads. i reckun i'll stick with the status quo!

i'm sure glad i didn't have to include that gizmo when i potty trained my kids! i thought getting them to use an appropriate amount of TP was a challenge! i can barely get them out of the shower in under a half hour - can you imagine them with a bidet??? ha!

seriously though - thanks for the info!

Search this Thread