Fall must be here.....

Old 10-01-09, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Fall must be here.....

...it's all the way down into the low 70's at night.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-09, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Got to agree. I didn't have to turn the AC on till 9:00am this morning.

Old 10-01-09, 07:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And we can turn left onto our main street! We can drive at the regular speed limit, rather than 20 mph lower. Turn lanes are reverted back to turn lanes as opposed to their personal drive lanes. All TG's relatives have left and gone back to Florida. Aaaah, Fall.

Old 10-02-09, 03:18 AM
Group Moderator
And all the snowbirds will be right behind; there goes our traffic.

Old 10-02-09, 04:06 AM
But I do thank them for our tax base increase over the summer months. It really helps. Y'all come on back now ya heah!

Old 10-02-09, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
...it's all the way down into the low 70's at night.
Ya. You poor guy. We had our very first hard frost a couple nights ago.

Today I was working on my car that would not crank, out in the drizzle today, for a while, in amongst using the bosses pu to go do jobs, while my mind was still on my car.

Old 10-02-09, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Got to agree. I didn't have to turn the AC on till 9:00am this morning.
And to think that I ran into our furnace man working on a nice duplex changing out worthless heat pumps to plain furnaces. And he said work was dead, a couple weeks ago, and now he has had 25 calls from people who all want to be first to have their new furnace put in tomorrow. Contractors out there: Don't you just hate that when that happens, and you lose out?

Old 10-02-09, 06:34 PM
the furnace is on!!

You guys are killin' me...34 this morning in NE corner of Connecticut. Had to put main floor heat zone on for first time...at 2.69 a gal. for #2 home heat...it's literally killin me....

Old 10-02-09, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by flatfootkck View Post
at 2.69 a gal. for #2 home heat...it's literally killin me....
Isn't that a bargain compared to a year or 2 ago? I think it hit almost $4 a gallon around here when the gas for cars went to the same amount.

I hear NG could be like 25% cheaper this winter, crossing my fingers. NG never seems to be subject to the huge price spikes that oil has happen to it. I think when oil went to almost $4 here, NG was only about $1.30.

Can you imagine being a renter (or even an owner that is not up on such stuff) somewhere, and get the surprise that since you have oil it is going to cost you an arm and a leg?

Old 10-02-09, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Not too late to plan a winter vacation in the Sunshine State.....

Florida Vacation, Tourism, Travel & Entertainment Information - VISITFLORIDA.com

Beer 4U2

Old 10-03-09, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Isn't that a bargain compared to a year or 2 ago? I think it hit almost $4 a gallon around here when the gas for cars went to the same amount.

I hear NG could be like 25% cheaper this winter, crossing my fingers. NG never seems to be subject to the huge price spikes that oil has happen to it. I think when oil went to almost $4 here, NG was only about $1.30.

Can you imagine being a renter (or even an owner that is not up on such stuff) somewhere, and get the surprise that since you have oil it is going to cost you an arm and a leg?
I switched to a wood burning furnace after getting my [email protected]#$ kicked by $4.55 a gal oil 2 winters ago and if things keep going the way they're going with Iran we could up to + $5.00 a gal when the stuff hits the fan.
Today I had the dubious honor of cleaning the creosote from my chimney......ughhh

Old 10-04-09, 04:15 AM
43 degrees this morning and I've got to decide whether to ride the motorcycle or drive the diesel to church this morning. Wife has car at hospital where she works. Guess I could have driven her to work, but no adventure in that. BTW, what is the wind chill factor of 43 degrees at 60 mph? I'll let you know.

Old 10-04-09, 05:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
For the most part I haven't rode a motorcycle since the 70's but I do remember the heater don't work and roof leaks I'd take the truck

Old 10-04-09, 06:54 AM
Group Moderator
Got my usual shorts and t-shirt on this morning.

Old 10-04-09, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
BTW, what is the wind chill factor of 43 degrees at 60 mph? I'll let you know.
28.5 degrees. I must be close, because I cheated off the internet website chart that only goes as high as 40 degrees.

That would mean that your hands and face would feel like they are freezing, but really would not be. Sort of hard to picture how either could feel just like an ice cube against either, yet you cannot truly freeze, since it is only windchill, and not actual temp. Sort of a confusing concept to the mind, with windchills taken on temps already well above freezing.

Old 10-04-09, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
You might not actually freeze...but you can sure do some tissue damage and go into hypothermia. When your body can't replace the heat fast enough (esp to the outer extremities) bad things happen pretty quickly.

Old 10-04-09, 12:08 PM
I wore my heavy Carhart and some insulated gloves. Wasn't too bad. Being a Silverwing the front keeps most of the air off my legs. Hey Mark, oddly enough it is water cooled and the venting from the back of the radiator comes up through the dash. You can actually feel "heat", but at that speed....don't stay long.
Eeewww, 28.5. Glad you didn't respond until I got back. I may have wasted fuel and driven the truck.

Old 10-04-09, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Larry...quit calling it a motorcycle.....its a biga$$ scooter I thought....lol.

And btw..was just looking at an old post..how come you call an air hose with air flow "dead ended"? To me "dead ended" that always meant no flow....

Just wondering.....

Old 10-04-09, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You might not actually freeze...but you can sure do some tissue damage and go into hypothermia. When your body can't replace the heat fast enough (esp to the outer extremities) bad things happen pretty quickly.
Are you sure about the "tissue damage" part of your post? Since it is not actually less than freezing on the thermometer, that means the cells cannot expand and rupture in the tissues. Hypothermia, yes, from being way below our natural body temp.

Just wondering. No doctor, although I try to be one sometimes.

Maybe Larry's nurse wife knows for sure.

Old 10-04-09, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
ecman....if yer tissue temps drop below what is needed..yeah..damage can happen. Put yer fingers at 40 degrees for 6 hours...I'll guarantee there will be damage...may only be surface..but yeah, it hurts.

Old 10-04-09, 06:01 PM
You're right GG, it's really just an overpriced scooter, but it moves my butt from 0-55 in a few seconds, and I leave the Harley's sitting at the light.
Not sure why I call it dead ending. It is common here. If the hose is left open (dead ended) it will soon run out of air, or become "dead".
Ecman, she says cold is cold, although tissue damage wouldn't occur until the actual temp would do the damage by itself, say below freezing, then wind chill to zero.
I did step off a plane in Chicago in 1993 and it was -65 wind chill factor, and your skin would freeze in 30 seconds. It was probably -25 anyway, and your skin would freeze with or without the wind chill.

Old 10-05-09, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I did step off a plane in Chicago in 1993 and it was -65 wind chill factor, and your skin would freeze in 30 seconds. It was probably -25 anyway, and your skin would freeze with or without the wind chill.

One winter I flew into O'Hair from Sarasota, in my t-shirt, walked off the plane, and almost died on the spot. I know -yes they told us what the temp was first, but I didn't have anything handy to put on. Kinda dumb, actually, I guess.

Old 10-05-09, 05:58 PM
Same thing happened to a crew I called in to work on the tarmac at Ohare from Orlando. We were taking over the United Airlines catering operation. I told the guys to come "in uniform". We issued them, so it wasn't like I wanted them to wear a 3 pc suit. Well they arrived "in uniform". Shorts and tee shirts with company logo on them. They had no idea what -25 felt like. They had never been further than Daytona from Orlando in their lives. Had to go buy them clothes to wear.

Old 10-06-09, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
When my daughter was born prematurely in '89 I had to come home (NC) from overseas on emergency leave and flew thru O'Hare. Got off there to change planes Jan 12th wearing jeans and a t-shirt because I had departed from the Philippines and my warm clothes were sitting in Japan. Wouldn't have been so bad, but the spot they parked the plane didn't have a jetway hookup, so it was down the stairs and across the ramp to the terminal door.

How come everyone looked at me so funny?

Old 10-06-09, 08:46 AM
....and I shook in the car..... or was it the bus that time?......until I finally thawed back out.

Interesting, guys. So I'm not alone in my experience.

Old 10-06-09, 01:02 PM
I hate the house being so cold in the moring. I miss you, summer!!!

Old 10-06-09, 05:01 PM
Keep our house about 65 all winter. I hate summer. You can bundle up to keep warm. You can only get so nekkid before they arrest you.
Welcome to the forums NeatFreak!!

Old 10-07-09, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
65` how do you get warm if you've been outside too long and half froze?
I dislike our heat pump for that reason but if the woodstove is going - you can thaw out in a hurry

I do think 65 is a great sleeping temp but the cooler air messes with my wife's asthma

Old 10-07-09, 04:18 AM
We find that non-abrupt changes in temperature causes us to have less congestion and colds. Stepping out of below freezing air into a humid 78 degree house really shocks your system. May not be medically founded, but it works for us.

Old 10-07-09, 04:50 AM
The wife has been giving flu shots at the hospital for the last week ( 5000 + )
Guess who is too sick to go to work today--good thing she usually only works 10 hrs a week..........................
She has been an RN for 46 years ( don't know why I am still alive )
She has retired a half dozen times & always goes back--can't stay away.............

Old 10-07-09, 05:25 AM
Yeah, mine is right behind her at 40 years in cardiac ICU. She is going back to finish her Master's in Nursing Education so she can teach rather than handle the day to day ICU stuff. Bless her heart.

Old 10-07-09, 06:04 AM
The wife has her masters & her paper work for Peds ER & Humans ER (lol)--I don't know why all those bugs she ran into every day never bothered me..............
She can't stand not to be busy................
Also working in the office she has a good idea what will happen under gov. medical care-
nuf said........................

Old 10-07-09, 06:19 PM
Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West wind between 5 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Geezz.....it's only the first week of October!

Old 10-08-09, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Waiting to see the people freezing their butts off at World Series games in Colorado/New York/Boston/Philadelphia with a potential 7th game on Nov 5th.

Managed to forego the a/c last week for a couple of days, but it's back on now. Beer 4U2

Old 10-15-09, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like Winter arrives this weekend; high of 74, low of 53 forecast for Sunday.

Old 10-15-09, 05:57 PM
Ha. You lucky devil. While I have been huddling near my space heater for several evenings in a row now, with temps getting down to the mid-20's to low 30's...and snowing out!, the last couple days!!!! At least though I am getting half-way acclamated to the temp. But I get depressed with gloomy weather, and the thought of about 6 months of winter if this keeps this up. But up here, the weather can be fickle. One year it did not snow at all until the first week of January. That was most strange. That is like unheard of. No white Christmas. No snow and then a thaw. No. It plain never snowed. People were out golfing, in December and that first week in January!!!! Then after that, all hell broke loose.

If you suddently had a cold snap and it dipped into the upper 20's-low 30's(it can happen), I bet some of you down there would go into convulsions.

Did you ever hear how it has been warmer in Anchorage than Miami, already, on the same given day?

Old 10-16-09, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's been warmer in alaska than fla more than once. Back in the 80s I lived in central fla and Christmas fell on a monday or tuesday so I looked forward to the long weekend. It got down to the 20s and might have dipped inot the teens Saw a lot of orange trees destroyed where the sap froze and busted the trunk..... but all that was minor.

The power company couldn't keep up with the demand and the area that I lived in averaged about 15 minutes of electricity every 3-4 hrs. This went on for several days my well water froze up and the temp inside was in the 40s and it's not like me or my kids had a stack of blankets or a lot of warm clothes. To add insult to injury, after the holidays, the gas company went around topping off everyone tanks with LP that they inflated the price to $3 a gal. [normally $1] Fortunately since it takes electricity to operate a gas furnace, they were only able to put a little less than 20 gallon in my tank.

Here in tenn it might get a little colder but if the power goes out, I still have my wood stove and IMO there isn't any better heat to get warm by!

Search this Thread