Gov't mandates * Why don't they...........

Old 10-06-09, 07:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gov't mandates * Why don't they...........

....impose more things to help save gas as long as they already mandate to car companies that fleet mileage has to be X, or else face reprisals?

Why not make all cars have overdrive? My car whines down the highway at 2500 rpm. Shouldn't I be able to save substantially if it could be kicked into overdrive?, and automatically pul out of overdrive if the car cannot handle it? (like hills, headwind).

And I heard this ad where the spark plug manufacturer recommends you change spark plugs to increase gas mileage and performance. I thought as long as there was the weakest spark, the gas would ignite and spontaneously fire off all the gas in the cylinder. As long as there is not a misfire, would that be true? Or not true? If a better spark helped ignite more gas for better econony and performance, then mandate 75,000 volt coils and rim-fire spark plugs to create a whopping spark? Or some sort of dual spark system that the second spark fires off what the first one didn't? (30-40 years ago we had dual point igntion with high voltage coils in hot rods.)

And what about making it so cars shut down to limp-home mode for people who neglect putting in new oxygen sensors when need be? Gas mileage can drop several mpg's when they go out.

And if low tire pressure wastes so much, then what has become of that idea about having built-in tire pressure indicators on cars and some kind of mandate about that? The cops, when they pull you over for no seat belt, or whatever, could get out their tire pressure gauge and fine you even more, ir X pounds under. Again, the car could be designed to go into a limp-home mode so you have to get to the nearest station to air up. (Although with cvars shutting down/slowing down all over the place, out of the blue, this could pose a danger maybe.) it wodu not hurt fro everyoen to carry around with them a bicycle pump, and/or cigarette lighter pump.

Crazy? Why? As long as we have laws about everything else, why not another one?

And if anyone else has good ideas the gov't might like hearing about, so we can reduce pollution and improve mileage, let's hear some of them?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-09, 07:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
20-30 yrs ago I heard Paul Harvey talk about air polution. He said while it's a real concern, just think how bad it would be if the million [?] or so cars on the road were horses not only would we still have air pollution but it would be knee deep

Don't all the cars made in the last 20 yrs have overdrive?

Old 10-06-09, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Don't all the cars made in the last 20 yrs have overdrive?
I don't think so. Do you have it in yours?

Old 10-06-09, 09:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
MY wife's 03 merc does as did the 99 merc before it. About 10-12 yrs ago she had an 86 olds and it had overdrive. My 90 jeep has it although my old 1980 work van doesn't and neither does my 76 ford 4x4. I don't think any of our kids have ever owned a car without overdrive.

Most modern day automatics have 4 forward speeds - 4th is overdrive. 5th gear is overdrive in most manual transmissions.

Old 10-06-09, 09:32 AM
I think almost all modern automatics have overdrive, as well as most manuals. If your stick shift is a five or six speed, then it has overdrive gearing in the high gears. I've had overdrive through either manual or automatics since 1980.

The spark plug manufacturers like to sell spark plugs, so if they can convince you that if you change your plugs more often than the car manufacturer recommends, then its all profit for them. They're hurting since the old 20,000 mile spark plug change interval has been extended to 100,000 miles or more in newer cars.

I believe all new cars sold since 2008 or so have to have tire pressure monitoring as standard equipment.

It seems like the government has mandated all it can for new cars, I don't want them feeling they're welcome to add more stuff that only weighs down and adds to the complexity of modern cars.

Old 10-06-09, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
The spark plug manufacturers like to sell spark plugs, so if they can convince you that if you change your plugs more often than the car manufacturer recommends, then its all profit for them. They're hurting since the old 20,000 mile spark plug change interval has been extended to 100,000 miles or more in newer cars.
If so, then a gov't agency needs to lower the hammer on such unscrupulous practices.

Old 10-06-09, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just tuned up my wife's merc. It was a little past the 110k mileage recomendation Apparently you can't by the exact same plugs it came from the factory with so I assume it will now need to have the plugs replaced every 20k at least they weren't too hard to get to

Wasn't there a foreign car back in the 70s or 80s that had 2 plugs per cylinder? I know the drag racers used to use heads with 2 plugs per cylinder - don't know if they still do.

One of the best motors I've ever had was a 302 with dual point ignition

Old 10-06-09, 03:27 PM
Haven't heard of the 2 plugs per cylinder cars or racers. If that is the case, someone must have thought for some reason that more sparking throughout the firing sequence must be beneficial. I wonder which came first then? -dual points or two plugs per cylinder?

Old 10-06-09, 04:58 PM
That's what I like about my diesel. No spark plugs, no points, no coils. Just a heater grid for cold wx starts. 5th gear runs 60 mph at about 1700 rpm. 16-17 mpg and it's a 3500 cummins flatbed dually, so I'm pleased.

Old 10-06-09, 06:28 PM
I have a 1990 Mazda MX6... 20 years old & 250k on it & it pulls 45~46 Imperial MPG... On a 20 year old car!!! Moderen technology has cars getting 45~46 Imperial mpg now... What has the industry done with gas milage??? Not much as I can see it... I think I'll keep the old girl another 20 years than we can see if the auto industry has improved the MPG any!!! Roger

Old 10-06-09, 09:16 PM
nap
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
That's what I like about my diesel. No spark plugs, no points, no coils. Just a heater grid for cold wx starts. 5th gear runs 60 mph at about 1700 rpm. 16-17 mpg and it's a 3500 cummins flatbed dually, so I'm pleased.
man, that's terrible mileage. I know a few guys (mostly Fords) that are getting in the mid 20's easy.

I'm trying to remember who they got their chips from though. I think it was Bully Dog. Not sure though.

ecman; the gov mandates the mileage. They don't care how the manufacturers get it. It isn't (well, it wasn't) their business and they do not need to get that into the engineering.

Old 10-07-09, 01:26 AM
On a fully loaded (with tool boxes, etc.) flatbed dually, it is exceptional mileage. Now if you are talking about those nice new sleek Sunday drive trucks, they probably get a little better mileage. But at 372K, it sure beats my old Ford flatbed gasser at 9 mpg!

Old 10-07-09, 05:43 AM
Group Moderator
Two plugs per cylinder

Junked a 90's Ford Ranger a while back that had two plugs per cylinder; 2.3L four cylinder.

Old 10-07-09, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Junked a 90's Ford Ranger a while back that had two plugs per cylinder; 2.3L four cylinder.
Can you find something for me to read on this? I want to know why they did that. Especially on something that is not a cadillac, or some fancy hybid, if you know what I mean. They must have thought that the manufacturing cost or the hype surrounding it would pay off in the end? I suppose the plugs were iridium, also.

Old 10-07-09, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
man, that's terrible mileage. I know a few guys (mostly Fords) that are getting in the mid 20's easy.
Ya but....I think ol Larry lives up in thar ol mountains.

ecman; the gov mandates the mileage. They don't care how the manufacturers get it. It isn't (well, it wasn't) their business and they do not need to get that into the engineering.
Well? They care about the mileage and they care that the car is safe(inspections in certain States) and has air bags and all that stuff. You'd think they could slip inbetween there somewhere the thing about the overdrive.

I thought the gov't was behind that business about having cars have tire inflation indicators on them? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought so.

Old 10-07-09, 07:32 PM
nap
air bags and actually tire pressure are safety concerns. The gov does get very heavy into the safety area although, if an auto manuf could demonstrate a system that would provide the same safety results as an air bag, I suspect they could actually seek an expemption of the requirement of air bags.

I do not believe the mileage or tire wear are the concerns of the tire pressure but when those broncos started rolling over, it became apparent that a low tire was inherently unsafe so the gov decided that cars would be safer if they installed a $1k+ air tire supervisory system rather than requiring the manuf to include a $5 tire pressure gauge in the car.

I read a website all the time that refers to Great Britain as the "nanny state" as they do so much to protect their citizens from themselves. It appears we are not all that far behind them.

Old 10-07-09, 07:41 PM
I had tire pressure indicators on my last 4 cars.
2001 & 2003 ford freestar, 2006 ford freestyle & 2008 hyundai.
The ones on the ford's were good to show that you had a flat tire...
On the hyundai all hell breaks loose when you loose 4 or 5 # pressure---these things are a waste of money......................

Old 10-08-09, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
The ones on the ford's were good to show that you had a flat tire...
Like the weatherman telling you it is raining out?

On the hyundai all hell breaks loose when you loose 4 or 5 # pressure---these things are a waste of money......................
What happens?

Old 10-08-09, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I read a website all the time that refers to Great Britain as the "nanny state" as they do so much to protect their citizens from themselves. It appears we are not all that far behind them.
The inevitable has to be that way if you have lots of people crawling ontop of each other. Not like the old west where if you moved west you could own your own 40 acres after 5 years of homesteading?

Did you see the tv show on the proposed mega skyscraper that is to be 1 mile tall, and have it's own eco-system? That's what we need, with more people. You can only go up. A terrorist would have fun knocking thaty thing down. They better wait and see how the Dubai one fares, first, in that regard.

Old 10-08-09, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Like the weatherman telling you it is raining out?

What happens?
Actually comes on at 3# loss of pressure---dash indicator lights up--buzzer sounds.
It might be good for some old lady---but she probably would not pay any mind to it....................

On the ford they came on when you had a flat tire...........

Old 10-08-09, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Wasn't there a foreign car back in the 70s or 80s that had 2 plugs per cylinder? I know the drag racers used to use heads with 2 plugs per cylinder - don't know if they still do.

One of the best motors I've ever had was a 302 with dual point ignition
My old '96 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder had to 2 plugs per cylinder. They were a [email protected] to change too. Right behind the manifolds.

Old 10-09-09, 07:09 AM
We have the tire pressure monitors on the new Chevy Uplander minivan we have as a government motor pool vehicle where I work. Those things are so sensitive that a big swing in temperature will cause them to go off. Being the van is government owned, it is taken back to the dealer everytime that happens to have the air pressure readjusted. Employees are prohibited from doing any vehicle servicing other than adding gas.