Puzzlers * An indicator of I.Q.?

Old 10-24-09, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Puzzlers * An indicator of I.Q.?

Ever lsiten to this one Saturday morning home improvement show on the radio? And they have a puzzler of the week? This one was from a couple Saturdays ago. I'll try to remember it as good as I can:
This guy was driving down some interstate highway. He started having chest pains. He was growing delirious. He quickly took an exit and stopped his car after driving around different sidestreets in this one town(I believe at night in the dark) in hopes of getting someone's attention. He tried honking his horn and nobody came. He then dialed 911 and the 911 operator asked him where he was, and he said he did not have a clue. All he knew is what interstate highway he was on. She asked him to go read a street sign, and he said he couldn't because he was too ill to move. (I think other things were asked, but of course of no help, You get the picture.) Then, in short order, the ambulance showed up. How did they find out where he was?
The radio show wants people to call in the winning answer and then I think you win some token prize.

Can you solve this puzzler? (Unfortunately, I missed hearing the answer the following week, and also missed hearing this weeks puzzler. Maybe they are on their website.

BTW - I did not solve it. I used a certain thought process I thought would lead me to the answer, but nothing jumped out at me. But I did figure that knowing the answer might be useful to oneself in such an emergency - perhaps. So have at it. If you heard the answer, please do not act like you knew, and play spoiler.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-09, 05:05 PM
nap
are you looking for the "I never would have guessed answer" or one of any 12 different logical possibilities?

Old 10-24-09, 05:08 PM
Cellular triangulation???

Old 10-24-09, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
That would be my guess. Either that or OnStar.

Old 10-24-09, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
The 911 operator listened for the ambulances siren over the callers cell phone and told the driver when it got louder.

Old 10-25-09, 05:31 AM
Group Moderator
No, wait! The operator called NCIS and they zoomed in on his location from a surveillance satellite.

Old 10-25-09, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Oh OH OH!! MR Cawrtere! Oh Oh OH!!!

Yes Horshack?

Oh OH OH I know the answer!!!

Old 10-25-09, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
are you looking for the "I never would have guessed answer" or one of any 12 different logical possibilities?
That is how these things are. Clever. You never would have guessed, obviously until you saw the answer. Then slap yourself upside the head for being a moron, becasue you did not think of it.

Name the 12.

Old 10-25-09, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Cellular triangulation???

Between what other 2 points? If the dispatcher told him to make 2 other calls, would that work?, when the heart attack dude would have had to hang up after each call?, rather than keep everyone on the line?

Good thinking though.

Old 10-25-09, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
That would be my guess. Either that or OnStar.

Can't be. Otherwise the dispatcher would have told heart attack man that everything is under control, as they have locked in on him, and they'd be there shortly.

I actually thought of that myself. That was my first thought. But I went "Nahhh". That isn't how these things work. These puzzlers are more like...'take off the rear view mirror and reflect it off light into someone's windows, or use cig lighter to make smoke rings'.

Old 10-25-09, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
The 911 operator listened for the ambulances siren over the callers cell phone and told the driver when it got louder.
You cheated. Fess up! Do you know what radio show this is on, and listen to it? Be honest. Put your one hand on a Bible.

I bet that is the answer. I do not know the answer yet. But I know the site and I wil go there soon to see if you are right. If you are right, how long did it take for you to think of that? And what other thoughts did you disregard? Did you get good grades in school? Curious how the mind works.

Old 10-25-09, 07:46 AM
No, wait! The operator called NCIS and they zoomed in on his location from a surveillance satellite.
Or Googleearth?

For some reason, I doubt this is the answer. I have a feeling too many people first thought, like me and Chandler and you , about outerspace/electronic surveillance-type detection. I think these answers more generally will work without the high tech and are clever.

I have a hunch Ray nailed it. If he is right, I will be sure to always follow his electrical advice (electrical forums advisor).

Old 10-25-09, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
I think you may have forgotten one important detail of the clues.

They were residential sidestreets and I believe it was night..........answer after the break.......

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
She asked him for the license number of any cars nearby..naturally assuming the owners would be at home...then she called the numbers based on the address of the vehicle registration. OH..and yes 911 has a phone number lookup capability for residences.

Old 10-25-09, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Oh OH OH!! MR Cawrtere! Oh Oh OH!!!

Yes Horshack?

Oh OH OH I know the answer!!!
?????????.........................................

You know, because a Mr. C...who? runs that show, and you know what show I mean? And you have to disqualify yourself? Although, it also is possible another show picked up on it and mentioned the puzzler on THEIR show?, and gave the answer?

Horshack?. ??????

If not and you really don't know the show or answer for sure, then you'd better hurry and give the answrer before I look it up and give it....after the reponses die down.

Old 10-25-09, 07:57 AM
I think you may have forgotten one important detail of the clues.

They were residential sidestreets and I believe it was night..........answer after the break.......

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
She asked him for the license number of any cars nearby..naturally assuming the owners would be at home...then she called the numbers based on the address of the vehicle registration. OH..and yes 911 has a phone number lookup capability for residences.
Hmmmmmmmm. That's possible too! And maybe they would have got their quicker than listening for loud, then going soft, then getting loud, etc., ambulance sounds over the phone, as Ray suggested. If you are right, I will be listening to YOUR advice more.

Old 10-25-09, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
She asked him for the license number of any cars nearby..naturally assuming the owners would be at home...then she called the numbers based on the address of the vehicle registration.
I like this one better then mine which came from a partially remembered TV or movie drama.

Old 10-25-09, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, don't think I figured it out...lol. Actually I missed part of the original puzzler but heard the whole answer the next week. They are on Sat around here.

Actually...what Ray said just happened here a few weeks ago. A mentally disabled person was having a seizure and the dispatch couldn't make out the address. All they could figure was the general area (no exact cell phone tracking out here) so they had the police drive up and down the streets until the dispatch could hear the siren, then the police started canvassing. They found the guy and transported him to the hospital.

Just another reason why I'll probably never completely get rid of my landline.

Old 10-25-09, 08:16 AM
Okay, Car. (Wink, wink.)

Time to move on to this weeks question. Good luck. May the smartest man win.

What is the one thing a football team cannot do without a place kicker?

Old 10-25-09, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
I'll have to recuse myself...but I did get that one on my own.

Old 10-25-09, 09:04 AM
Gg, I actually thought the answer regarding the dispatcher/heart attack victim question would be even more dubious. Luckily, I guess a car was parked close enough for him to read a license plate, rather than everyone in the neighborhood parked in a garage!

The license plate could have belonged to a guest at that house, who, when dispatcher called car owner's home(which theoretically could have been from across town somewhre, or anywhere in the State!), nobody was at the car owners home, because the guest was at the heart attack victim location house! (I, presuming, that nobody was around that really could help.)

That is why I thought Ray's answer was so good, as his might work even if a person were in Timbucktoo, as long as the person had some idea where they were at, say within a couple or few miles, depending on if other overriding noises were around? His answer was quite clever. In reality though, it may have taken too long for the ambulance to find him. But a very clever response from Ray!

Do you realize that if the dispatcher called the owner of that car, and no answer, they may have sent an ambulance there on a hunch, only not to find the car?

Old 10-25-09, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Cell phone towers have a limited range. Usually less then 4 miles. The location of the cell phone tower handling the call can be determined. That along with knowing the freeway could narrow the location enough to get the ambulance with siren in the area. Also the victim may know how long he drove after leaving the freeway further narrowing down the area. Also the cell phone tower would be on one side of the free way so knowing which way the victim turned off the freeway would eliminate the coverage area of the cell phone on the opposite side further reducing the search area.

Old 10-25-09, 10:57 AM
nap
the thing about the dispatcher hearing the ambo is nonsense. HOW did the ambo find the guy?

triangulation:

more than one tower picks up on a cell phone. The strongest signal is the one that is given priority and carries the call but others do detect the call. They can triangulate anytime 3 towers are receiving the signal.

They can also half assed determine a location with 2 towers.

Now, since this is current

ALLLL cellphones currently have emergency GPS built in to them regardless if it is available to the phones owner or not. It was a law passed a while back.

they used the E911 location ability of the phone an viola` the ambo was given the guys location via that.

The Federal Communications Commission has several requirements applicable to wireless or mobile telephones:[3]
Basic 911: All 911 calls must be relayed to a call center, regardless of whether the mobile phone user is a customer of the network being used.
E911 Phase 1: Wireless network operators must identify the phone number and cell phone tower used by callers, within six months of a request by a PSAP.
E911 Phase 2
95% of a network operator's in-service phones must be E911 compliant ("location capable") by December 31, 2005. (Several carriers missed this deadline, and were fined by the FCC.[4])
Wireless network operators must provide the latitude and longitude of callers within 50-300 meters, within six months of a request by a PSAP.[5] Accuracy rates must meet FCC standards on average within any given participating PSAP service area by September 11, 2012 (deferred from September 11, 2008).[6]
Location information is not only transmitted to the call center for the purpose of sending emergency services to the scene of the incident, it is used by the wireless network operator to determine which PSAP to route the call to.

Old 10-25-09, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Ok mr smart guys about cell phones....lol

Maybe it was a small area with few towers (like here). We have dead/spotty zones like crazy even on the same block. Maybe he was parked w/in coverage of only one tower (no triangulation). Maybe he had an old phone w/no GPS. Maybe this happened 5 yrs ago? Maybe he didn't remember the actual freeway exit due to the crushing pain? HA! Now what?

And nap...whats up with the time limit on those rules? W/in 6 months? I think I'd starve to death! Maybe I'm misreading it. And I noticed they pushed it out to 2012. And see it only says 95% compliance? Of course thats why theres a fee on one of my bills to support 911 services....

I'm just messin w/ya'll...but stop taking all the fun out of stuff will ya? LOL

Oh and I must be slow today...whats a PSAP?

Old 10-25-09, 11:58 AM
nap
ask and ye shall receive:

Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP)

The final destination of an E911 call (where the 911 operator sits) is a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP). There may be multiple PSAPs within the same exchange or one PSAP may cover multiple exchanges. The territories (Emergency Service Zone) covered by a single PSAP is based on the dispatch and response arrangements for the fire, police, and medical services for a particular area. Most PSAPs have a regional Emergency Service Number (ESN), a number identifying the PSAP.
The Caller Location Information (CLI) provided is normally integrated into emergency dispatch center's computer-assisted dispatch (CAD) system. Early CAD systems provided text display of the Caller's Address, call history and available emergency response resources. In 1994, working in cooperation with the emergency response agencies of Covington, KY, 911 Mapping Systems, Inc.[1] founded in 1992 by Robbie Thomas[2], implemented the first real-time on-screen E911 street map display to highlight the caller's position, nearest available emergency responders and other relevant information such as fire hydrants, hazardous materials and/or other data maintained by the city. Shortly thereafter, integrated mapping became a standard and integral part of all CAD systems and continues to evolve alongside 911 response technology. For Wireline E911, the location is an address. For Wireless E911, the location is a coordinate. Not all PSAPs have the Wireless and Wireline systems integrated.

Old 10-25-09, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Thx nap....I figgered it was Public Safety or something...but no way I would have gotten "Answering Point".

Thats one of the things they are trying to upgrade out here in nowhere land, the 911 equipment and call center...but folks are resisting the bond issue because its not dedicated to specific issues and could wind up being used for county vehicles or something. Since people just found out the County Supervisors were just told.."go buy any vehicle under $40,000 for your official and personal use and the county will pay for it", they are naturally a little skeptical of any verbal promises.

Old 10-25-09, 12:14 PM
nap
I would have to search some more to be able to validate and support this statement I found but...:

At the end of 2005 all cell phone carriers were required to provide the ability to trace calls to a location within 100 meters or less.
300 feet. Since there were no other cars being driven and presumably this guy had his headlights on, finding him should not have been that difficult once they had a location within 300 feet.

btw; the GPS on my phone is accurate to well less than 100 feet. I do not know what specifically it locates with though so determining accuracy in varying situations would have to be undertaken to verify the accuracy in all situations.

Old 10-25-09, 12:17 PM
nap
Thx nap....I figgered it was Public Safety or something...but no way I would have gotten "Answering Point".

Thats one of the things they are trying to upgrade out here in nowhere land, the 911 equipment and call center...but folks are resisting the bond issue because its not dedicated to specific issues and could wind up being used for county vehicles or something. Since people just found out the County Supervisors were just told.."go buy any vehicle under $40,000 for your official and personal use and the county will pay for it", they are naturally a little skeptical of any verbal promises.
part of the problem with resisting:

resistance is futile.

It is going to be a mandatory element of all 911 centers eventually.

sounds like you guys have the earmark, pork barrel, unassociated rider problems just like the feds have.

oh, and to your few cell towers situation:

if it is truly GPS, cell towers are not needed or used.

(they have satellites man. They're watching you all the time. The can see you man. Paranoid? ME? I'm not paranoid man; they can really see you. Now give me back my dang aluminum foil hat)

Old 10-25-09, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Oh yeah nap...yours is much more accurate than that...hmmm lemme see....ahh yep..there you are.

Mobile phone tracking

Ahh its nice being a Mod...the power...the POWER....LOL

Sorry ecman...I'll leave yer thread alone now.....

Old 10-25-09, 12:49 PM
nap
Oh yeah nap...yours is much more accurate than that...hmmm lemme see....ahh yep..there you are.

Mobile phone tracking

Ahh its nice being a Mod...the power...the POWER....LOL

Sorry ecman...I'll leave yer thread alone now.....
dang!!! how do I get rid of that? That is NOT my wife and if my wife sees it, I'm dead!!!!

I do not know if, as mods, you have access to IP addresses and all but I have spoken with an attorney that owns a site I frequent that has provided locations of some of the posters to his site by whatever he has access to via his site.

Old 10-25-09, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Sure..anyone who has their own site or is given enough access can do that. My wife used to be able to do that with hers. But no...us regular grunt mods can't....Supers maybe can?

Really..I can't do much except in my own area.

Old 10-25-09, 01:22 PM
So - a bank robber (we have had many here lately), if the bank robber was a smarty-pants egotist, could call 911 and ask them to see if they could find him?

I am going to get ahold of the program and tell them the heart attack man could have been found by GPS. That their right answer was wrong. LOL.

And do not forget to answer the new question of the week found in post 18!

Old 10-25-09, 03:28 PM
Score a field goal...............................

Old 10-25-09, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
mmmm chandler is close...and accurate as well....but that was pretty obvious.

Hmmm..I remember the post...but is something missing? As in the post?

Ok ...this is weird..there are posts I don't remember..and posts that are gone....

SHEILA..we have a problem!!!!!!

Old 10-25-09, 04:43 PM
Oh, don't go to the "post is closed or post is gone" trick. I've already been there, and got into a spitting contest with a couple of mods.

Old 10-26-09, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Score a field goal...............................
Can't they let another player on the roster do it? They can allow another player to do the kickoffs, but not the field goal? Or is it from the fact they have the option to punt, rather than kickoff?

To be honest with you, I really don't like this puzzler question. You have to have some knowledge of football beyond that of school smarts.

I can dig up others for you to sink your teeth into. The best ones are the ones when you hear the answer, you think you have to be a moron that you never thought of it.

Old 10-26-09, 12:31 PM
The other person on the roster becomes the "place kicker" if he kicks the ball when it is placed by another player no matter what position he normally plays.

Old 10-26-09, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
I cheated and apparently the answer is "have an odd score". The question was not worded well if this is the answer because it indicates the intent was to mean nobody kicking.

This thread is giving me flashbacks from my earliest foray into on-line forums and chatting; used to frequent a forum with a Stumper chat room. I also have an old book specifically about Stumper questions; stuff like "Why does a Lieutenant General (3-star) outrank a Major General (2-star), but a Major outranks a Lieutenant"?

Gun dude would know this if they had generals in the Navy.

Old 10-29-09, 05:55 PM
Maybe it's the military's way of rock, paper, scissors.

Old 10-29-09, 06:03 PM
I cheated and apparently the answer is "have an odd score". The question was not worded well if this is the answer because it indicates the intent was to mean nobody kicking.
I knew it had to be something clever. Excellent.

Time for some archive material for those who know where to go cheat, while others scratch their head and wonder if they are a moron or not.

Reminds me of these bar jokes where the guy bets the bar patrons, a quarter each, that he can count from 1 to 48 in 3 seconds. Those kind of things are fun too. If you do not get those, you can feel like an imbecile as well.

Old 10-29-09, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
LOL, no.

Search this Thread