permits gone wild

Old 10-30-09, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
permits gone wild

I went to the mall with my wife today. Since there isn't much to interest me there other than sear's tool department, it didn't take me long to find a seat I noticed the store across from the bench was being renovated and had a couple of permits posted.... so I went and looked

2 permits, standard builing permit - estimated $2500 to ready it for the new store. The other was an electrical permit to change 2 bulbs in the emergency exit signs/lights. The electrical permit was based off of material prices, permit price to equal material price but not exceed $125.The job required 2 bulbs, 60 cents estimated total. Minimum permit fee - $10. Since when is a permit required to change bulbs? There was no other elec work listed.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-09, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's absurd! I'm starting a deck on Monday and dug and poured the footings today. Permitted job, permit cost $50, that's cool. Called in for the inspection for Monday so we can get to it early. Deck will be all of 3' off the ground with no further inspection necessary. Inspector called and asked if the footings were to code. I told him, yeah. He said go ahead, I'll be by sometime to sign off. Nice guy, but all business.

Old 10-30-09, 06:40 PM
permits gone wild

This is not just a residential situation.

A shopping center is a retail, commercial facility open to the public and has a very large liability and needs to make sure everything is safe, according to code and needs permits and inspections to prove it is right and protect itself from contractors and minor miss-use.

The amount on the permit may not be the actual cost, but just the estimated maximum cost required for the inspection and approval. It may be just be a cheap investment in a permit and proof of code compliance to maintain the liability problems.

At least they got a permit, since everyone knows a permit/code office rarely makes a profit and is a service group. A good commercial job can be much easier and less time consuming than a amateur contractor job.

Dick

Old 10-31-09, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"It may be just be a cheap investment in a permit and proof of code compliance to maintain the liability problems"

That makes sense, I just found it odd that a permit would be required to change a light bulb. I wonder if it also needed to be called in for inspection Can you imagine the paper work if we were all required to get a permit to change a burned out bulb? bet we would all be in code violation

Years ago I was painting a bunch of VA and FHA houses, I knew the VA inspector, if he saw my van at a house he needed to inspect, he'd lay on the horn to get me outside. Once he got my attension, he'd ask me if the house would pass inspection. If I said yes, he'd mark it down on his paper work and back out of the driveway. I didn't particularly like being put in that position - the builder would have taken issues with me if I pointed out anything that wasn't right. At that time the VA inspection only paid $10 and he had to use his vehicle [and time] to go to the inspections.