Anyone seen this....

Old 11-01-09, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Anyone seen this....

Got a postcard over the weekend for a free dinner for two at a local restaurant. You know the deal; come listen to our presentation and we'll feed you for free.

So, although I hate passing up a free meal I'm not going to waste a couple of hours of my time listening to a sales presentation for something I'm not going to buy (although the card says leave your checkbook at home).

SOOOO, I'm curious if anyone has the inside scoop on this thing. Here's the teaser:

"Reduce your utility bills up to 45%! Your actual savings may vary [Tow Guy note: Duh!]. Water, electric, gas. No gimmicks, no pressure! Homeowners only (no mobile homes)."

That's it. Anybody hazard a guess what the scam is? I don't have a water or gas bill, so I'm curious how they think they can save me on my power bill beyond stuff I can already do without paying for some program to do it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-09, 05:35 PM
nap
I don't have any idea but for fun, have the wife go with but not as your wife. Wear blacked out glasses and act like you cannot hear nor see and your wife is your caretaker (who does not own a home of her own). If you know sign language, you can have her sign into your hand like they did with Helen Keller.

Dang, even if you do not know ASL, you can fake it while she says it out loud so you can hear her.

Seems like you could make a heck of a lot of a nuisance of yourself if it is boring. How could they ever blame the blind deaf guy for standing up and talking loudly to his care taker in the middle of the presentation.

A question, out loud of course, like "are we near a farm? It smells like cow crap (a bit nicer term for bull sh*t) could be good for a few laughs.

when you get tired of "listening", you can simply stand up and ask loudly of your caretaker "where is the toilet. I have to pee ...NOW!!" and start walking somewhere.

who is going to think poorly of the blind deaf guy?

Old 11-01-09, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We get a couple a month. I think ours is selling Solar stuff. There is a new storefront in town hawking solar panels and such. Not open yet, no phone number listed, so I think it is going to be one of those here today and West Palm Beach tomorrow with our money.

Old 11-01-09, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe it's this.
It seems like this and other brands are the latest rip-off based on creative advertising and misleading facts.

Old 11-01-09, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I get similar offers for a free feed if I will listen to a seminar on how someone else can spend my money for me. Actually they say they will make me money-for a price and no guarantee if they lose my savings.

Old 11-02-09, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
I figure it could be a lot of different things; what is puzzling is that it mentions electric, water, and gas so I would think it would need to be something common to all three rather than one particular area like the Amish stove (I see that ad every week in the Sunday paper).

Old 11-02-09, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
I continue to be amazed at how sophisticated these pitches are.

The Amish heater and other brands of this same device I think take the cake.
What they make very convincing is that through creative technical writing, they make people believe that a $500.00 electric space heater will be a better investment by saving tons of money over a $29.00 electric space heater of exactly the same wattage!

I am somewhat familiar with the heat capabilities of resistance heating but I surely wouldn't stand a chance in a time share seminar.

Old 11-02-09, 05:02 AM
nap
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I continue to be amazed at how sophisticated these pitches are.

The Amish heater and other brands of this same device I think take the cake.
What they make very convincing is that through creative technical writing, they make people believe that a $500.00 electric space heater will be a better investment by saving tons of money over a $29.00 electric space heater of exactly the same wattage!

I am somewhat familiar with the heat capabilities of resistance heating but I surely wouldn't stand a chance in a time share seminar.
You are missing the point!! The heater is free. All you have to buy is the wood surround. So, the free heater is obviously better than the $29 heater.

Old 11-02-09, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, now I get it.
You just had to explain it in terms I understand!

So where is this seminar anyway.
With a free dinner it doesn't get any better.

Old 11-02-09, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Local non-chain place. If I wasn't so vehemently skeptical I would go.

Old 11-03-09, 12:32 PM
I'd go anyway. Might not save any money on utility bills but at least you'll save on the food bill.

Hey thats it, eat out for free often and you'll surely save on water, gas and electric.

Old 11-04-09, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Can't you arrange for someone to call you so you can say you need to leave to tow their car to the shop?

Old 11-04-09, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, but the sales pitch probably precedes the dinner (at least that's how I would run the show). The other option would be to cruise by when people are exiting and ask what the pitch was.

Old 11-04-09, 11:19 AM
nap
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Yeah, but the sales pitch probably precedes the dinner (at least that's how I would run the show). The other option would be to cruise by when people are exiting and ask what the pitch was.
that just makes it so much more fun, if you realize it is like that.

TG starts listening to the spiel. TG realizes; man was this a bad idea. If the speaker was cute or had huge hooters, at least I could drift off into some fantasy land for a little while but it is a butt ugly guy.

So, TG reaches into his pocket, grabs his phone, looks at it for a minute like he is reading a text message, stands up and says:

Hey buddy; I really really wanted to be here but I have a tow I have to take care of. Can I get my meal packaged to go?

Old 11-04-09, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Hey, don't laugh; I have a regular customer (garage) who is such an ear-bender that when I'm dropping something there I pre-call a buddy and tell him to ring me up in ten minutes or so in case I need to extract myself.

Old 11-04-09, 04:42 PM
nap
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Hey, don't laugh; I have a regular customer (garage) who is such an ear-bender that when I'm dropping something there I pre-call a buddy and tell him to ring me up in ten minutes or so in case I need to extract myself.
Do you have an I phone? They have an app for that.

actually, there is an app for that for any phone. I would have to look for it but if you would like it, I would try to find it.

Old 11-04-09, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Maybe it's this.
It seems like this and other brands are the latest rip-off based on creative advertising and misleading facts.
I eat this kind of stuff up with a fork and spoon, so to speak.

Now find us the one that also is in newpapers, inserts and on tv, that now Bob Villa is endorsing. The one that claims to warm the room quickly from floor to ceiling (and shows a comparison with infrared imagry), how theres does indeed do that.... but a regular($29.95?) space heater just sends it to the ceiling (I believe because regular space heaters fry the air)...in a I think a 13 minute test, and rides the moisture in the air.... and has a patented special copper heat exchanger.

That one.

Old 11-14-09, 11:54 AM
Interesting change?

In this Saturday's USA weekend insert, in my paper, the Bob Villa endorsed space heater now uses the word "may" in their full page ad. And now says nothing about saving 30% or up to 50%. I wonder why?

Search this Thread