your vs. you're

Old 11-16-09, 11:00 PM
your vs. you're

I see so many posts where the word your is used when it is obvious that the writer needed to write you're (you are) instead. The people that use these two words incorrectly are not stupid so I wonder if they understand the difference between the two words.

The way I differentiate between the two words is to ask myself if I mean your are and if I do, then I write you're.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-09, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what you mean. I think sometimes it's just accidental - maybe trying to do 2 things at one time. I've caught myself numerous times typing in the wrong word I no better but that doesn't always mean I do better

Old 11-17-09, 04:44 AM
I was greatly affected by the effects of this thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ain't english wunderfulllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
by,buy, bye................

Old 11-17-09, 07:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wy go thru al that work typing in an extra leter whn everyone nos what the person means. Thanx for listning.

Old 11-17-09, 08:07 AM
Wow, if we're gonna start correcting grammer and spelling around here then I quit.

Old 11-17-09, 08:10 AM
I like this one:

If you say plz because it's shorter than please, I'll say no because it's shorter than yes.

Old 11-17-09, 12:19 PM
"Ur" is always an option these days. :P

This is my first post.

Furd, I'm from Washington as well.

Old 11-17-09, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
I sometimes type the wrong word. Once my brain thinks of the sentence my fingers sometimes do their (Ha! correct usage..that's another biggie..."their", "they're", and "there") own thing. As long as it's spelled correctly it sometimes gets past.

Ever seen the tests/puzzles that misspell almost every word, but most people can read right through it with complete comprehension?

There have been several movements in recent years, as I remember, wanting to simplify the language and eliminate these kind of words. If it happens, then I'll officially be a "fogey".

Old 11-17-09, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
MsVegan, welcome to the forums! Just for everyone's information in future posts, here in the South, we use terms like "y'all" which represents "you all" or for those of you from Hoboken, "youenzez". We use "ain't", which is a proper contraction for the words "am not", so there is a proper time to use it. With texting being such a craze, there's no telling what you can get. I still text in full English, no short cuts, no abbreviations. My crew thinks I'm dumb because I haven't learned the texting language yet.

Old 11-17-09, 03:47 PM
Your kidding you're self. Their is to much to kno bout grammer. Cause I quit school'n in grade too, I am almost illegitimate twoday. Thats why spell/grammer check is my friend.

Old 11-17-09, 08:04 PM
What drives me just a little crazy is there and their.

Ever seen the tests/puzzles that misspell almost every word, but most people can read right through it with complete comprehension?
I saw that a few years ago and couldn't believe it. I think the first and last letters were correct and the middle were all mixed up. I could read it with no problem. Amazing how the brain works......mine anyway.

Old 11-18-09, 08:51 AM
I saw on a news article a while back that British schools will no longer teach the old "I before E except after C..." rule, saying it had so many exceptions that it was basically meaningless.

As for the misspelled words and reading, the brain registers what it expects to find, not always what is sees.

Old 11-18-09, 10:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I like this one:

If you say plz because it's shorter than please, I'll say no because it's shorter than yes.
Me too!!

jimminy cricket, need more characters

Old 11-18-09, 02:06 PM
nap
I would suggest it is partially due to the fact of having to think and then type while constructing a reasonable response and still contemplating the original inquiry.

In other words, people often ignore mistakes like that simple because they are too engrossed in other thoughts.

I was recently taken to task for improperly using the term complement when in fact I intended to use compliment. My spell check didn't know which word I intended to use so it showed no misspelling and I actually know the definitions of each word. It was just that I failed to put into type using the correct word.

Old 11-19-09, 09:09 PM
I do well over 100 txts a month with clients, colleagues, friends, family. I suppose we all know there is no future for the english language as we were taught it (I was a terrible student anyway. I liked grade 12 so much I did it twice!). Technology has changed the language. Get used to being annoyed.

Strangely, my kids are grammer fanatics, at least when it comes to correcting me.