Is the resale of used items ruining our economy?

Old 11-20-09, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

What I am talking about is the resale of any mfg'ed product over and over again. Wouldn't there be more employment if products were either made to wear out faster (possibly by mandate) or mandated that you cannot buy/sell used items after so many years? I am not kidding. I have thought of this actually years ago. And I have wondered if any higher ups in gov't, or think tanks, have given this matter thought.

In matters dealing with collectible items, such as old guns, and other things of old value, hmmm......we'd have to come up with an answer for that one. Perhaps some extra fee would have to be charged, where the gov't gets this for road construction or any other worthwhile cause? That way maybe they could spread a form of taxation around, so that the poor smoker(often poor people who can't afford to smoke to begin with.....but that is all they've got to make them content) does not have to shoulder the entire burdon.

An unconstitutional idea? Hmmmm. I think lots of things already are unconstitutional anyway, as I find many things that go against my pursuit of liberty and happiness. So what is one more deviation, if it can help spur the economy more?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-09, 02:24 PM
Two big concerns I have to your idea:

1. A LOT of people don't have the money to buy everything new, hence that's why they buy used.

2. If usable but unwanted items couldn't be resold, we'd just be adding to the nation's landfills at an even faster rate.

It seems like most electronic and appliance type items already are designed to last a shorter lifetime than the ones manufactured in the '50's and 60's. I know of too many people who get rid of perfectly good kitchen appliances because the wife wants the newest trendy color or feature. There are usually a lot of people who are very grateful to be able to buy these lightly-used items at a huge savings. I really doubt if somehow prohibiting the resale or reuse of items would help the economy as much as it would hurt the lifestyles of people who can not afford to buy new.

What if there were no used cars or trucks? A huge part of the population would be walking. The manufacturing economy wouldn't be improved, as these people can't afford to buy new cars, and if used ones weren't available, they have to do without.

Take this one step further: only new houses would be available, no existing homes would be available for resale. Who would want to buy a new house, knowing there was no market for it if and when they decided to move?

I agree the economy needs to be stimulated, but there are better ways.

Old 11-20-09, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What would happen to having pride in what you do? If something only hast to last a short time, who would bother to do the job right? Any business that sells used items, still collects and pays sales tax albeit a smaller amount than when the item was new. Besides being a nightmare for the landfills, look at all the resources that would be wasted in having to make new items. personally I think this country throws too much away.

Old 11-20-09, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with Beachboy that things are already not as durable as they used to be. I have a 20+ year old chest freezer in our utility room that's humming right along. My four month old refrigerator is on the blink.

Old 11-20-09, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Agreed...my parents had an old round top fridge (it was a Frigidaire...who my Dad worked for for 35 yrs) that they bought from a neighbor cheap when the neighbor redid their kitchen. We're talking farm country..not suburban America. It was probably the first redo of the kitchen in 40 yrs.

They got it about 1974..and it was waaay old then. They put it on the back patio exposed to most weather but under cover and used it as a soda and beer fridge.
It was still working at least 15 yrs later rusted..sagging to the side, noisy...but working.....simply amazing.

People actually cared that the products they produced were the best they could be. Hard to find nowadays.....except for craftsmen that depend on there reputation for a living...

Old 11-20-09, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
First you had the Cash for Clunker program destroying the only cars many poor people can afford now I read this. Some people really don't have a concept of poor.

Old 11-20-09, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
I agree the economy needs to be stimulated, but there are better ways.
So let's hear YOUR ideas then.

Old 11-20-09, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
What would happen to having pride in what you do?
Maybe I'm ignorant. But maybe having pride in what we make really does not help the economy. Maybe it be like saying that cleanliness is next to Godliness - is good for the economy. If peopel took pride to the nth degree, they'd make products that never wear out. THEN what?

Old 11-20-09, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I agree with Beachboy that things are already not as durable as they used to be. I have a 20+ year old chest freezer in our utility room that's humming right along. My four month old refrigerator is on the blink.
That means the refrigerator companies can hire more people, more mfgering of parts needed for the fridge, more trucking of parts, more deliveries, more natural resources mined, etc., etc. Then with everyone working, maybe they could afford to buy that new refrigerator instead of having to buy used.

Old 11-20-09, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Some people really don't have a concept of poor.
On FOX, maybe even last night - I heard that our so-called poorest, are wealthy, compared to the truly poor people in other countries.

Old 11-20-09, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
On FOX, maybe even last night - I heard that our so-called poorest, are wealthy, compared to the truly poor people in other countries.
There was an ask Marilyn in Parade magazine a few weeks ago that said if all of the world's wealth was redistributed between every man, woman, and child in the world, everyone would have $9000 approximately.

I think it is very important for items that still have life left in them to be used. Back when there was integrity in work and some products lasts 20-30 years, people still bought new fridges, washer/dryers, etc... It isn't as if we didn't have an economy back then, things broke down, people moved, styles changed and yes, people were just like we are now, they are consumers!

Old 11-20-09, 06:46 PM

If you buy from the low cost retailers (building material, housewares or consumables) they usually are very cheap and have a short life with the possibilities of recycling being low (except for metals in an electronic items) and have more value in fuel or being shredded into a new fabric.

Using higher quality products that last longer is probably more "green" in the long run.

Dick

Old 11-22-09, 08:16 AM
On the other hand, you can't even give stuff away.

I think people have accumulated so much junk they cna't buy anymore.

Garage sales dont work. Im not talking junk either. I took stuff from my mother in laws estate to a couple of local charities. People had just dropped everything off in piles. They had turned into urban junkyards. I couldnt add to the charities problems so I took it tothe dump.

Now, sinner that I am, I take everything to the dump, even stuff that is still good but if Im not using it, why keep it? How can I give it away or does it just turn into someone elses problem?

I keep thinking I would rent a parking lot in a hood area for a weekend and people can bring stuff down, set it up and let people just take what they need. I would even supply a few trucks to help them get it home. Then everything left goes to the dump.

Old 11-22-09, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
mjd...boy don't have that problem here. I can get rid of almost anything...either through a yard sale, Freecycle.org, or donation. Here the charities will even take magazines , where I used to live didn't.

I put a beat up old lawnmower, that was left here when we bought, out in the front yard with a "FREE" sign. Couldn't have been more than 1 hr and it was history. Same with a bunch of ugly pavers and scalloped edgers that were here, they were gone w/in 2 days..

Old 11-22-09, 09:41 AM
I pity my family after I die. Getting rid of all my "stuff" will be a nightmare. Selling all my tools will make someone rich, or happy, but not both. Or maybe I'll just surprise all of them, sell it in a few years and have some fun.

Old 11-23-09, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
So let's hear YOUR ideas then.

I don't have the answers. If I did, I'd be sitting in the White House. Nah I wouldn't take that job regardless of how much they paid me.

I just know the solution isn't promoting products that have a short lifespan, in the hopes that forcing customers to buy new ones more often will stimulate the economy. I'd venture to say that new major applicances and TV's won't last half as long as their counterparts from 25 years ago. Yet, these new products cost as much or more than the older generation, but don't last near as long. If my $1,000 refrigerator dies after 5 years, then I'm going to have less money to spend on other things, than if that fridge had lasted the 50 years they used to. Most of us have a finite amount of money that we use to buy the necessaties and luxuries of life. If I'm having to buy more necessities than I should be, then the luxury purchases are going to be slim.

Beer 4U2 = necessity!

Old 11-29-09, 07:38 PM
If anything it's helping the underground economy.
It gives thrifty Americans and those who can't afford new or who have poor credit the ability to aquire the goods they need to grow their families to live and work.
Sort of a trickle affect.
Like the guy or gal who buys a 1995 Ford for $700 bucks so he or she can drive to his job who then makes weekly trips to the auto parts store to get all of the new replacement parts to keep that old car running which employs people at the parts store and suppliers and so on and so on........and when it breaks down on I-95 Tow Guy will hook'em up and bring him to the nearest gagrage and when it finaly craps out for good Tow Guy will pick it up for the last time to take it to the salvage yard........hence business, business, business.....

Old 11-29-09, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I pity my family after I die. Getting rid of all my "stuff" will be a nightmare. Selling all my tools will make someone rich, or happy, but not both. Or maybe I'll just surprise all of them, sell it in a few years and have some fun.
I often wonder what will happen to my tools after I die.
I have all girls who couldn't care less for my arsenal of tools that keeps our house and cars up and running.