Help me save 20 sec. of my life!

Old 11-24-09, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Help me save 20 sec. of my life!

"You have reached the voice mail box of.....John Smith....At the tone please a message. When your finished, you may hang up or press." OH MY GOD! MAKE IT STOP!

Does anybody know if there is a way to skip all the above greeting and go right to the beep when getting somebody's cell phone voice mail? Just think of the years of our lives we could save!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-09, 11:14 PM
Just be thankful that you don't have the proud parents (or grandparents) that think it is "cute" to have a two-year-old leave the greeting.

Old 11-25-09, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The long announcement by the phone company when you get their voice mail box on a cell phone is to keep you on the line for over a minute. That way they can sell the next minute. Time it. By the time they get through their spiel and you leave a short message, you have exceeded a minute. Hey one minute times several million, that's a bunch of bucks!

Old 11-25-09, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Heres the way I deal with those.....click!
If it's a cell, they'll have a missed call message with my number. If it's the VM by the carrier..they probably have caller ID as well.

Old 11-25-09, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
Recently had occasion to call the accounts payable for one of the minor motor clubs and OMG; this woman's voice mail announce went on for about a minute and a half giving other options to reach her, i.e. email, etc all the while speaking slowly and with pauses while she recollected her thoughts along the way. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Beer 4U2

Old 11-25-09, 12:50 PM
TG, since when did you call my sister in law? Geesh, she goes on and on. She has an artsy fartsy job, so it guess it blends in well. Then she has the "out of office" messages with options on how to reach her assistant, email her, reach her son, CLICK!

Old 11-25-09, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Just think of the years of our lives we could save!
I would not doubt that somewhere on the web is a list of things we all do, where it will say how many days, months or years of our lives is lost by doing mudane things. I have heard some of them and it really takes you back, knowing that you have spent that much time of your life doing X. (One such X is 'tying your shoelaces')

Old 11-25-09, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Just be thankful that you don't have the proud parents (or grandparents) that think it is "cute" to have a two-year-old leave the greeting.
I got one of them the other day! I think the kid was maybe 3 or 4 though. Anyway.....

You can bet when the kid gets to be in junior high, the parents will proudly be displaying a "Proud parent of an honor student" bumper sticker". As if getting a B+ average means you are smart(and came from the good genes the parents have).

Old 11-25-09, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Heres the way I deal with those.....click!
If it's a cell, they'll have a missed call message with my number. If it's the VM by the carrier..they probably have caller ID as well.
I knew this guy who would NOT hang up on telemarketers. He would (act like)try to sell the telemarketer something, and would talk the ear off of the telemarketer - and the telemarketer would hang up!

Old 11-29-09, 07:21 PM
Use the # key. That signals virutally every voice system or atuomated system (not just voice mail but banking, long distance cards etc) to skip to the next step. It wont work if people have their extended voice mail absence (dont' want to use spell check... sorry) message on, which really PO's me.

"#" is a period in the telco industry. Some people think you need to wait until you are prompted for the next action but you can cut into voice prompts etc.

I told them voicemail would never catch on and why did they put me in charge of introducing a useless product.

Last edited by mjd2k; 11-29-09 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Use the # key..... to skip to the next step.
Interesting. And pressing 0 often gets you a real voice, quicker.

I told them voicemail would never catch on and why did they put me in charge of introducing a useless product.
Who is "them"? And where is your smiley face?

Old 11-30-09, 07:16 PM
At the time I was a project mgr for a telco. I knew voicemail was going nowhere and they gave me the project anyway. When I buy, you sell!!!

Last edited by mjd2k; 11-30-09 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 07:52 AM
bet you don't have it as bad as this guy

YouTube - Al Bundy trouble with a voice mail system.