When Is It Spam

Old 12-11-09, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
When Is It Spam

We have a new poster that is posting to a lot of threads but instead of any substantive help just seems to be posting links to another DIY site. First couple of times I thought he was spammer but now I'm not sure. I think he may be honestly trying to be helpful. Haven't decided what to think about what he is doing but I do think people coming here want a more hands on approach to solving their problems. Certainly links to other places in context can be helpful but just giving them a link seem a bit like the old Usenet reply RTFM. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-09, 12:25 PM
Group Moderator
Judgement call on the part of the Mod, but sometimes with a little background work you can tell. When in doubt PM one of us and we'll take a look (if we haven't already noticed).

Old 12-11-09, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
Took me a few minutes of snooping, but I found who you were talking about (I think); yes, definite spammer/stealth advertiser. Banned and posts removed. Good eye, ray

Old 12-11-09, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Ray,

If you come across a post or member you are not sure about just use the report post button.
When you use this there is a spot to note your concerns and we can use our judgment in dealing with it.

Greg

Old 12-11-09, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
I know myself well enough to know I can be a curmudgeon so I'm cautious about making accusations when I can't be sure if what I think I know might just be the curmudgeon in me.

Old 12-11-09, 04:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably so, Ray, but we love you anyway!!! Curmudgeon is such a nice name. I had another one.