big snow coming?

Old 12-18-09, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
big snow coming?

Looks like we might get hit fairly hard this weekend They are calling for 4"-6" or maybe 8"-18"..... they can't seem to make up their mind

The bad part is it's going to be a wet snow and we've not had any significant wet snow in quite a few years. That translates into down trees and power lines

But I do have a small generator and chains for 1 of my 4x4s, just don't look forward to the hassle. One thing for sure, I won't be the only one dreading this weekend.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-09, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Snow? Snow? Hmmmm..I seem to remember that....

Is that the white stuff I see on the mountains sometimes? lol

Not really...we do get some here sometimes..lasts about a day before it melts off.

Old 12-18-09, 02:25 PM
It would be nice to see some real snow here (MSP). - They don't make it like they did earlier. The last "storm" was 4-5" of fluff and kept blowing around, but at least we have a snow cover to protect the lawns and gardens.

The turkeys are still around and navigating well, but the seasonal geese have left and the permanent geese are still here (the bubblers in the city lakes give them some open water).

Because of the temperatures and prevailing winds, everything seems to go south and east of us and we just get some cold air for day after with none of the fun. I did put my Jimmy into auto 4wd just to give it an annual check-up in case I ever need it.

I am looking forward to a real blizzard, and not the fluff or "snirt" (snow and dirt that blows in from North Dakota).

Dick

Old 12-18-09, 03:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks as if Tellico Plains is getting it now. Hunker down.Keep warm.

Old 12-18-09, 04:05 PM
Snow

In 1980 , took my wife & 2 kids back into the mountains of Canada for 8 yrs. Livin off the land. I can remember 4' of snow fallin over night . The only transportation was snowshoes or horseback. The snow was like powder with a blue tinge to it. Wouldn't see a soul for weeks . Live in Florida now , 16 yrs. , My bones are gettin too old for the cold

Old 12-18-09, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Only four feet of snow!
Heck, we get so much snow we take off out storm doors in the fall so we can shovel our way out each time it snows.

Good you have that generator but don't so what I did last time I needed it.
Mine sits at the ready in storage but last major rain storm when the power went out it wouldn't start due to a gummed up carburetor .
As the water was rising in my sump pit I did the quickest carb overhaul ever seen.

Old 12-18-09, 04:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One - three inches forecast here. Trust me, 1/2 inch of white death is enough to shut this town down.

Old 12-18-09, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
I wish I was there! I'm sure you can hear my snowmobile crying.

Old 12-18-09, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Snow? Snow? Hmmmm..I seem to remember that....

Is that the white stuff I see on the mountains sometimes? lol

Not really...we do get some here sometimes..lasts about a day before it melts off.
Be honest now. You would just love to get your hands on a snow shovel - at least for a day.

It truly is fun when everything comes to a halt with say a foot or more of snow in one dumping. And all the neighbor guys outside shoveling or acting real manly running their 10 stage snow throwers , and all strike up conversation, that they normally don't. Schools are shut down. Kids are out playing in the snow, sliding down the mountain you just shoveled, and then you scream at them for sliding the pile right back down onto what you just shoveled.

I shoveled lot of snow by hand during such dumpings and actually I like it (once in a while). I even go to the rental trailers and bank snow against them. Then get mad at how the snow starts melting down on 20+ degree sunny days. And then go back there to shovel more snow only to have to gather it up from farther out in the yard.

Old 12-18-09, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
One - three inches forecast here. Trust me, 1/2 inch of white death is enough to shut this town down.
Driving through 3 inches of snow is far safer than driving through 1/8th inch of salted slime on the roads.

Old 12-18-09, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
They're predicting up to 16" around here, depending on which track the storm takes and whether you're north or south of it! YUK!! I"m not a snow lover. This is the time of year I wish I were in Hawaii or the Virgin Islands.
We can get a lot around here, but most of the time, we only get a little, so a few inches shuts us down, too.
I'm planning on staying inside and baking cookies.

Old 12-18-09, 07:23 PM
Heavy snows can be great if you are prepared to hunker down for a few days.

A few years ago big storm was predicted. I got up at 4:30 AM on a Saturday to see what the schedule was and then threw my bag and laptop into my car for a 160 mile trip north to my lake home. After stopping in town for some food, I got to my lake home where is was 30F and the big flakes were just starting to fall. I unloaded and backed the car into the attached garage. It snowed all day while I worked and watched TV.

Sunday morning when I got up, there was 22-24" of snow on the level with the wind coming up and the temperature dropping. Relaxed all day and just looked outside and then went ice fishing with a neighbor. - Actually we were fishing for Walleyes and not ice. the NW wind came in late and the temps dropped.

Monday morning (-42F) and the snow had drifted everywhere. I did some more work and relaxed all day and made a few telephone calls.

On Tuesday (-15F), I got around to thinking about leaving and called a local friend at the concrete plant and he volunteered to bust open the driveway with his 4wd and plow in exchange for some steaks (strategically bought on my way in) that I cooked on the grill on the patio. I drove the 160 miles and was home by 10:00 PM.

The roads were open and I did not worry about power, cable or telephone since in that area, it is all underground and the clock I plugged in when I started building 12 years earlier never had to be reset from an outage.

It was a great week-end watching Mother Nature do her thing since I was prepared and did not have to worry. - If I was in town, I would have to worry about the other people.

It can be tougher in the summer with storms and having to secure boats and docks and never know when a storm will hit.

Dick

Old 12-18-09, 08:06 PM
We're in for a foot or so. At least that's what the weather guesser is predicting. I think just south of us, MD up through NJ is going to get more.

I hate the stuff. I used to love it skiing, snowmobiling, white Christmas.

Now it's just some cold crap that I have to shovel off my walk. The only part I don't mind is driving on it. Except for encountering some of the idiots that don't know how to handle a car in snow it doesn't bother me at all.

Anyway, I bought a case of wine today it's for the holidays but if we get a big Nor'easter it won't last. I have a 12 pound Smithfield ham in the fridge, all the ingredients for a big pan of lasagna and I moved a couple of days supply of wood from the woodpile to the deck. Bring it on!

Old 12-18-09, 08:30 PM
Wayne -

You are right about how snow can be at times.

When I lived in Westbrook, CT, I quickly learned how bad the wet, sticky, heavy and sloppy snow could be when I tried to leave the warm coast and drive to Middlefield or Hartford.

Where did you get real Smithfield ham in CT? I now have to get it shipped to MN from my daughter-in-law in VA. The shipping is not too bad and I can always hang it in the garage just like they hang it around the stores and gas stations in southern VA. - Good ham, but cooking and prepping one almost makes you feel that you have adopted something. A good knife for slicing is well worth it.

Dick

Old 12-19-09, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well it looks like we dodged the bullet

We got 6"-7" but the electric is still on They're forecasting another 1"-3" but I doubt that will affect the electric. I guess those 2 wednesdays in a row of high winds knocked down enough trees to keep the heavy snow from causing much damage.

Now if I could just figure out how to clear the driveway before Christmas. Too steep to take a 2 wheel drive tractor on without chains

Old 12-19-09, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Well it looks like we dodged the bullet
Well aren't you lucky!
We just got upgraded to 18 to 24 inches! YIKES!!

Philly's gonna get it the worst around here. I'm watching the news and everything is CLOSED and they're declaring a snow emergency. We can't deal with it like all you northerners.

Old 12-19-09, 09:36 AM
Don't complain, I'd rather have snow than -50 like we had last week. We don't get as much snow on the praries as people think but what we do get stays so it looks like lots. Our snow is dry as a bone. Depressing to drive down the highway with black bare fields and soil drifts forming when its -40. Minnesota seems to get the same temps as us but with a lot more snow.

I'm 53 and I honestly don't remember our power ever being out for more than a couple of hours. If it was out longer, the houses would be wrecked because all the water lines would freeze and burst. Wonder why the States loses power so often. Maybe its the wet heavy snow?

Old 12-19-09, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
I think most of the power outages are caused by ice and/or wind. Just look at the reports of the southern states when they get hit by ice...since it doesn't happen much all the weak limbs and trees come down and take the lines and poles out.

Where I used to live in VA..we had all underground utilities, but we were surrounded by older neighborhoods with above ground lines and transformers on the poles. In 16 yrs there we only really lost power for more than an hour during the hurricane...then it was out for 4 days or so. All caused by so much rain and wind that trees were falling left and right. But every winter we would have outages..they just didn't last that long.

Old 12-19-09, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
Wayne -

You are right about how snow can be at times.

When I lived in Westbrook, CT, I quickly learned how bad the wet, sticky, heavy and sloppy snow could be when I tried to leave the warm coast and drive to Middlefield or Hartford.

Where did you get real Smithfield ham in CT? I now have to get it shipped to MN from my daughter-in-law in VA. The shipping is not too bad and I can always hang it in the garage just like they hang it around the stores and gas stations in southern VA. - Good ham, but cooking and prepping one almost makes you feel that you have adopted something. A good knife for slicing is well worth it.

Dick
I get it in a Christmas care package every year from an old shipmate in VA Beach. IMO the best commercially available country ham in the US. Also IMO the only ham that rivals Parma and Serrano. In eschange I send the guy a gallon of VT Grade A Fancy.

Old 12-19-09, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Wonder if they will still call them Smithfield...when they were planning to close down all the plants actually IN Smithfield last I heard.

btw...we can get the pre-cooked Smithfield hams here...but I know thats not what you guys are talking about...

Old 12-19-09, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Wonder if they will still call them Smithfield...when they were planning to close down all the plants actually IN Smithfield last I heard.

btw...we can get the pre-cooked Smithfield hams here...but I know thats not what you guys are talking about...
Yeah, there are a lot of pork products labeled Smithfield but there is only one genuine Smithfield ham. The precooked hams may be good or even great but they aren't the same.

Did you know that name Smithfield ham is regulated by a Virginia statute dating from 1926? I didn't until this thread prompted me to Google.

As for storm Albert it's 4:30 and it ain't snowing yet even though the weather guessers have upped their predictions to as much as 12"-15".

Old 12-19-09, 10:11 PM
South Jersey, Gloucester County now has 20" of snow.
I dug myself and 3 neighbors out twice today and more is on the way.
My 40 year old Snow Hound 20 snowblower got a workout today and
the dog isnt sure about where to relieve herself.......no grass to be found in 50 mile radius.

Shwew......I'm spent!

Tomorrow's to do list........dig out again.

Old 12-20-09, 06:12 AM
Well we got somewhere around 18". It's hard to tell because of the drifts. I called the guy that usually plows my driveway
(350+ feet long) only to find out he retired 2 years ago.

If I can't find someone else we might be here 'til April.

Old 12-20-09, 06:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure when I'll venture back out, my jeep's 4 wheel drive quit working and my truck only has a 1 speed transfer case and no chains..... but we still have power!!!

One of my stepsons isn't so lucky. His power went out friday night and they are saying it might be after Christmas before it's restored Too much snow to get his car out but his brother will probably make the drive up there to get him.

The snow sure is pretty with all the tree limbs covered but I wonder how long it will be until my driveway can be traveled in 2 will drive.

Old 12-20-09, 11:15 AM
Oh, Mark, correction in terminology. This wasn't a "bullet" you dodged. It was outright "incoming".

Old 12-20-09, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
OK, we hit the jackpot! A little over 23"!
We broke the record of 20" set back in 1909.

Old 12-23-09, 07:06 PM
We finally may get some real snow and not enough cold.

The TV forecasters are being sensationalistic to get ratings. The problem is that they cover and area of 200 by 300 miles because of local stations picking up the signal for rebroadcast. This leads to a wide range of predictions to cover everything. We are getting what is similar to a "panhandle hooker" the turns due north with enough moisture and heat to cause a major storm. We managed to steal some of Wisconsin's snow.

It is warm at 28F and the first of four waves is predicted to start now the last will be out in about 4 days. In Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) we probably will get only about 12". The roads going north are busy with about 25% of the vehicles towing snowmobiles to use for the holidays for those do not have them stored in heated garages at the lake homes. Minnesota has about 250,000 relatively/lightly unused snow mobiles. - It is like a party everyone has been wishing for since some areas will get up to 20" of wet snow with a topping of a few inches of powder/fluff that might drift. The out of town resorts and restaurants are licking their chops finally. Most these "evacuees" probably will not be back until Jan 2 or 4.

The grocery stores/liquor stores are busy for the holidays and people stocking up for the very rare occasional blizzard parties, but it is good for the economy. Everyone likes to thumb their nose at winter if they get the chance. People would like to see 20", but that is not likely.

My kids are working from their homes for a few days. My wife and I live in a townhouse with and attached garage and both drive 4WD SUVs, so we can do our own thing and even may get a chance shift into auto 4WD or 4WD high, but not an opportunity to use 4WD low. - The theater of seasons, finally!

Golf on the ice for Jan 1 2010 is still scheduled using colored balls. The trouble is that you lose one ball every time you hole out and it sinks or is eaten.

It happened at an ideal time since everyone that wanted drive or fly out could do it and everyone that wanted to party and/or hunker down had warning even if they did not agree with the 20" predictions.

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 12-23-09 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
I am so very happy to see this big snow! However it couldn't come at a worse time with the holiday travel and all. We (Minnesota) is much better equipped to handle this snow and it will be more of an inconvenience than anything.

Old 12-24-09, 06:08 AM
I'll probably get my hand slapped, but you know all this weather is caused by global warming, right? You can feel it in the air. If I were selling anything like this, I wouldn't do it in a country that is permanently cold, in the winter. Why not wait until the grip of summer heat is on and have it in a place like south Texas?

Old 12-24-09, 07:11 AM
big snow coming?

Global warming? That is something that everyone in history can talk about including the dinosaurs that thrived on the old, warm climates eons ago.

Life is fine in the tundra. We had about 4-6" of snow and my wife and I are going out for breakfast now. We have a couple more inches coming during the day and 6-8" in the late afternoon and tonight followed by a few more inches tomorrow, but some people will get up to 20"

I don't think we will match the 18-20" from Halloween quite a few years ago.

Now the only concern is getting holes in the ice for the January 1 golf outing. I have both orange and black balls ready.

Getting around is not a real problem once everyone gets one snow under their belt earlier in the year and the weather is warm after a very cold preceding month. As Tolyn mentioned, we can handle snow much easier and the snow removal actually starts before the storm to make it easier aand lets mother Nature and sun on the cold days evaporates (transpires) the ice.

Weather is just a state of mind. - Many of my neighbors have left for the snowier areas to spend time ice fishing, snowmobiling or just chilling out at their lake homes.

Dick

Old 12-24-09, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I'll probably get my hand slapped, but you know all this weather is caused by global warming, right?
It's not global warming anymore, its climate change.

Old 12-24-09, 09:05 AM
If 10,000 years ago there was an ice age, hasn't the earth been warming since then?

Old 12-24-09, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
No, its us evil humans that is changing the climate of the planet. It has only been happening over the last 00 years not the last 10,000.

Old 12-29-09, 05:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They said on the news last night that there are still over 10,000 customers without power in our region Not sure if they are all from the snow storm or the subsequent wind storm on Christmas day.

It would be tough to be without power for any length of time in today's world

Old 12-29-09, 06:24 PM
Hasn't anybody invented a gas furnace(with a blower), or some conversion device?, that only needs to run on gas. No generator. Just gas. In the way lawn sprinklers can power the sprinkler with their water. Some yard sprinklers are even shaped like tractors that drive across the lawn sprinklering.

Old 12-30-09, 02:26 PM
I had a similar question when I was in college and working at a warehouse during the summer. My job was to top off and plug in all the fork lifts at day's end.
Why can't there be a generator hooked up to a gearing mechanism so when the fork lift tires are turning, the generator is charging the batteries. I guess this falls into the category of perpetual motion, huh? Can't be done.

Old 12-31-09, 05:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They said on the news this morning that there are still 3,000+ customers without power from the 12/28 snow storm. They also said that they are having problems replacing power poles that are not accessible with their big trucks. How would you go about replacing poles without a truck

Kind of makes you appreciate the over looked luxury we receive from the power company.

Old 01-01-10, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I had a similar question when I was in college and working at a warehouse during the summer. My job was to top off and plug in all the fork lifts at day's end.
Why can't there be a generator hooked up to a gearing mechanism so when the fork lift tires are turning, the generator is charging the batteries. I guess this falls into the category of perpetual motion, huh? Can't be done.
battery operated forklifts. i thought they operated off of LNG.

Old 01-01-10, 06:00 AM
Flirty1, nope, only the LP ones. Remember the 60's? Anything internal combustion couldn't be used inside a warehouse due to fumes. That was before the perfection of LP engines.
Marksr, we set them in the Okefenokee swamp with a Shinook and a crew of 10 on the ground to tether them out to guy wire hooks in the ground once set on a pin about 1" in diameter. Shinook driver was goooooood!

Old 01-01-10, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Larry...I know its prob because of the New Year....but its a Chinook....well, as long as you meant a big helo it is...lol.