Convenience Store Scam

Old 12-22-09, 05:56 PM
Convenience Store Scam

Beware of the desperate individual that approches you at the convenience store or gas station giving you a sob story about how they have no money and need to get back home but could use a little cash to buy some gas or for tolls.

Just today a desperate dude approached me with this story and in the Christmas spirit and the goodness of my heart I gave him 10 bucks for gas. I watched the guy drive out the back of the parking lot in the opposite direction of the gas pumps and away from the town he said he had to back to with my 10 bucks..........oh well......

If you are approached by this scam offer to buy the gas for them........or ask for detailed information about their story and pay attention to their details........it's most likely a scam!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-09, 07:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How do you know for sure it was a complete scam? The guy maybe had hardly no money and knew he would not make it on the gas he had. But he had gas at the moment. So he picked the gas station, since it was a good place to beg. Then he went somewhere else first to buy something he needed before going home.

This might not be the case. But it might.

What kind of person who already has money is going to lower himself to beg? I would try to make yourself feel better about this and convince yourself that you at least helped out someone who was desperate enough to resort to begging.

Yes, he could have laid things on extra thick. Or maybe he did lie. Maybe he hasn't enough money to buy Christmas presents, and the no- gas- to- get- home story he felt could net him a better response. But nonetheless, he was probably deperate. Maybe he even got out of jail recently and has no job. Or he simply has no job. If he has tried to get a job, you have done a good deed. if he is too lazy to get a job and lives home with his mother and is 50, you still did a nice thing because the guy may have issues with his life, where you would not want to be in his shoes.

Yes, you hear stories about people who actually make a living panhandling. But I have a feeling the precent on this is quite low - and also have a feeling that stories like this make good stories to tick people off, and maybe aren't true more often than they are true.

The only real issue that would get me thinking and bothered, is if he drove away laughing that you were a sucker, rather than being a kind-hearted guy.

Old 12-22-09, 08:02 PM
Mackey, don't you feel blessed you can hand over a ten spot and it won't take food away from your family. I got paid once with a $35 bad check. It bounced which cost them and me another $20 bucks each. Well, I had her address, so typed up a letter and wished her better times and returned her check. I had no idea as to what her problems were, but didn't want to add to them. Never heard from her, but felt good that maybe in some way I had helped her.

The lesson, don't hand out the ten bucks, but if you do, don't feel bad about it. After all, it is xmas.

Bud

Old 12-23-09, 04:19 PM
All these good hearted stories.....I'll throw in mine. The lady who sold us our present house was in her late 80's, her husband had recently passed away, her son (as in of-a..) had threatened to take her back to Florida to live with her daughter. She didn't want to go. I visited her once and she asked if she could borrow $100 for groceries. (The son was stealing her money, I think) She gave me a check for $100 and asked that I not cash it until the 1st of the month. I still have it stuck in a drawer somewhere. She has since died, but it was my way of giving her money and allowing her to keep her pride.

Old 12-23-09, 05:23 PM
I handed the convewince store clerk $20.08 for gas yesterday. She reaches in the till and hands me back a 10. I says to her that I gave her a $20. She glances to the left quickly while the manager was standiong right there, I think hoping the manager did not hear any of this, (which she did). I think what concerned the emplioyee, as she did look nervous, was that the manager might wonder how many other people she has been giving perhaps wrong amounts of money back to.

Old 12-23-09, 09:27 PM
Well......still can't help feeling had.
I always like to lend a helping hand to those in need no matter with my talents, time or a some money now and then.
Just don't like being lied to.

.........guess I'm just a cynic.

Old 12-23-09, 09:37 PM
nap
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
How do you know for sure it was a complete scam? The guy maybe had hardly no money and knew he would not make it on the gas he had. But he had gas at the moment. So he picked the gas station, since it was a good place to beg. Then he went somewhere else first to buy something he needed before going home.

This might not be the case. But it might.

this is a well used scam all over. We have some regulars that the police have to chase away once in awhile as the tend to get a bit aggressive.

I had one guy claim he, the wife, and kids were from several hundred miles south of my area and he just ran out of gas and money and needed to get his family home. I did not give him anything.

Strangely enough, I saw the same guy about a week or so later hitting somebody else up.

When confronted with a person that needs help like that, I give the names of several agencies that will help them if their stories withstand the test of honesty.

I'm sorry for those that really need to beg to obtain enough money to survive but due to the scams, I feel it is better to donate money to agencies I know will help those that really do need help.

Old 12-24-09, 08:17 PM
I think this "I need gas money" is becoming more (popular).
We took a little trip to wallyworld, you know the big one with the gas pumps in the corner of the lot.
As we were walking up to the door, a young man about thirty DROVE up to us and said he needed gas money to get home.
I ask him if he was out of gas, why he was driving around.
I wasn't rude or anything. I just ask why he was driving around.
He called me a few choice words and drove off..
My wife and I looked at each other and just busted out laughing, and went on about our shopping.
I guess he had enough gas to get to the next person..

Travis

Old 01-10-10, 02:06 PM
just use common sense. one time a friend of mine was going into mac donalds and this guy was outside who i guess was homless and wanted some money so he could get a hamburger. my friend went in and bought the guy a hamburger and handed it to him and he goes i don't want your(expletive)hamburger and threw it on the ground.

Old 01-10-10, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by flirty1 View Post
just use common sense. one time a friend of mine was going into mac donalds and this guy was outside who i guess was homless and wanted some money so he could get a hamburger. my friend went in and bought the guy a hamburger and handed it to him and he goes i don't want your(expletive)hamburger and threw it on the ground.
I did the same thing not long ago but the guy was very thankful and ate it all !!

Old 01-11-10, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Great...now yer contributing to the obesity of the underprivileged and homeless..lol.

Should have bought them light salads with lo cal dressing.....

Old 01-11-10, 06:04 PM
"Homeless. Anything will help. God bless."

Lately a couple of guys (not at the same time though) have been standing at a major intersection where 3 supercenter stores are located. They will stand out in real cold about 0 degrees for hours. I look in my mirror and nobody stops to give them anything. There are a couple places in town that cater to the homeless - and one has to wonder if they are truly homeless, why they do not seek those places out. But there are like felons and/or boozers who they may not accept. One good thing I have noticed about the guys all bundled up standing there: They do not appear to be confrontatioal in any way such as glaring or staring people down. Their demeaner is that of someone who is humble.

I stopped and gave one such guy about $5 last year, at a less busy intersection. There is no way people can stop their car, and give these guys anything because where they are, there are always cars waiting to turn the corner there. The guy I gave the money to was about 2 blocks away at where a supercenter parking lot meets the road. That way one can pull over in the parking lot and give the person something.