Looking for a spigot

Old 12-23-09, 05:31 AM
Looking for a spigot

I'm looking for a spigot that I can attach to a standard commercial steel 5 gallon can. The can holds liquids that we purchase from our supplier that we keep in our shop for use daily. The can has a built-in plastic threaded spout with a twist cap, the kind that is flush to the lid when sealed and is pulled out by the user to break the seal. The diameter of the integral spout is approximately 1 3/8". Because the can is heavy and unwieldy, we often spill some of the liquid (it's a mess.)

So what I want to be able to do is screw on a spigot/faucet/shutoff to the can's integral threaded spout so that I can lay the 5 gallon can on it's side in a cradle that I built, and release the liquid by turning a handle on and off thus controlling the flow.

Can anyone tell me if they know where I can get what I'm looking for and where. I've tried seraching on line but its hard to search by a description.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-09, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
I know you already built the cradle but what about something like this: Northern Industrial Lever Pail Pump — 5 Gallon | Barrel + Hand Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment No need to put it on its side.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_13350_13350

I will add more as I find it.

Another option is to transfer the contantents of the can to another container like this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3CYJ6

Old 12-23-09, 04:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could also look for a food grade drum. Their bungs have the outer threads to attach the bung to the drum, but also have a 3/4" tapped but sealed center hole. Cut out the seal with a knife and screw in a 3/4" sillcock. I have done this many times for our camp water containers. We were able to get 15 gallon Jet Dry drums where I used to work. Perfect for the spigot application.

Old 12-24-09, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the responses, both are excellent options. I guess I'll spend a little time over the holidays pondering my choices and then act accordingly.