Private message time limits? >Another Whinning Post<

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-10, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unhappy Private message time limits? >Another Whinning Post<

This is getting out of hand:

This forum requires that you wait 360 seconds between sending private messages. Please try again in 273 seconds.

Please get rid of this ridiculous time limit. I have contributed to over 7000+ posts for 4 years and I have to wait 360 seconds to send PM's? These time limits should apply to new users with less the XX posts, no?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-10, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
That horse has been beat to death, buried, dug up, beat to death again, and reburied, Mark. Beer 4U2

Old 01-21-10, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well...lets dig it up, beat it some more...shoot it with a Ma Duece a few times..the hook it up and launch it off the number one cat!

Mark..same thing applies to Mods...ain't that a kick in the rear?

Old 01-21-10, 12:47 PM
nap
yes, one would think that after a couple years and a few thousand posts of information that gains them income they might trust you but hey, it is their site and as such, their rules so, it's live with them or don't post anymore.

and yes, applying it to mods is simply ridiculous.

Old 01-21-10, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
I think somewhere between regular users and the site owners there is an information disconnect. I suspect any info the owners get is filtered through others with their own agenda or knowledge limitations. But we are just guests and guests should try to be polite if they like where they are but dang if it isn't frustrating sometimes.

Old 01-21-10, 02:30 PM
Oh, Ray, it isn't a "disconnect"....that is too positive....either on or off. It is a filter the size of Hoover Dam. Semi permeable so information only flows in one direction. It's called protect your job and make yourself look good.
BUT, as you said, we are users of the site, not professionals keeping it going....or did I get that wrong?

Old 01-21-10, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, I thought we were the pros

I agree that regular contributors to the forums that have been around awhile with good status should be treated a little more favorably and it has been suggested more than once but it doesn't look like there will be any changes - so it is what it is..... but IMO it's still one of the best sites on the web

Old 01-21-10, 03:27 PM
Oh, I agree. I have visited other forums and they have only a fraction of the responses we have here, and they proclaim to be high ranked ones.
The Cummins diesel forum is the same format as ours, so it works good for me.

Old 01-21-10, 05:37 PM
By the way, I didn't have time posting limits when I was a Group mod....but apparently Topic mods have time limits? Jeeepers creepers!

It would be nice if Tom would chime in to give a logical reason as to why the setting cannot be modified?

Old 01-21-10, 06:17 PM
nap
and who is Tom?

Based on another forum I hang out at and the fact that members with a post count over a specified number have some special access perquisites, I do not believe there is a logical reason for the limitation, just one they choose to keep in place.

the use of logic is inversely proportional to the ability to control based on the "because I said so" factor.

I think your actions are bordering on insurrection Hoti.

Old 01-22-10, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Tom=Sharp Advice; aka The Man. BTW, if he chimes in, be prepared; this topic has been kicked around so much you might not want to be sitting too close to your monitor.

Hmmm, didn't know the Topic Mod's were time constrained. That is a little odd.

Old 01-22-10, 06:06 AM
Admin Emeritus
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
That horse has been beat to death, buried, dug up, beat to death again, and reburied, Mark. Beer 4U2
That horse has been beat to death, buried, dug up, beat to death again, and reburied, Mark.
LMAO...HA HA HA!!!!

OH NO! ... Poor horse. Beaten to death many many times before and now once again here!!!!!!!!!!!........:repostit:

As a former topic mod HotinOKC you should remember and have known why there are time limits. Reminder: Helps prevent rapid spamming of the sites forum topics and/or other members via personal messages, etc.

Not intended to restrict any good members or mods. However, the software does not distinguish between groups nor status. Although it should and in some areas of the software it says it does, it simply does not.

Should it? Yes. I agree it should..... But it does not..... Can software codes be included to allow for such? Yes. Most likely it can. Unfortunate aspect it is not a HIGH priority when there are so many other issues to deal with.

Presently the current circumstances just have to be coped with, dealt with and all we can due is GRIN & BARE it.....

Side benefit to time limits: Super mods and group mods have less cleanup to due. Spammers quickly discover the time limits restrict them from quickly or rapidly spamming many many forum topics. They get discouraged and leave pronto. Not all but many due simply spam one or two forum topics and vanish.....

Tom........

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-23-10 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Removed Name Mark. Replaced With HotinOKC
Old 01-22-10, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, you guys can all thank me for getting Tom in a good mood. Beer 4U2

Old 01-22-10, 01:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, we're not scared of Tom........ummm, errr, that's not him poking his head around the corner is it

Old 01-23-10, 08:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
My post above has been edited. Removed the name Mark and replaced it with HotinOKC to clarify to whom I was referring and replying to.....

Bad mood? Who me? Not so and rarely so, IMO. However, I take my job duties very seriously. And I do attempt to correct wrongs and correct issues presented to me. Members have complained about being spammed in personal messages.... I even have been..... Which does create a bad mood!!!!

Time limits prevent site forum topics from rapid spamming and also protect members personal messages from rapidly being spammed as well. Spammers whom want to use the PM method to spam other members. Complaints came in and one solution was time limits or simply do away with personal messages all together....

Choice was mine to use time limits instead of doing away with personal messages totally.... Imo, best possible solution under the conditions we all have to work with.

Therefore, GRIN & BARE it.......... Doing many a favor with time limits in place. Instead of short brief one liner replies, reply to posted questions with full details and you're not likely to even notice any posting time limits. All that easy....

Of course, there is always someone whom is bound to complain about something...HA HA... Oh Well.

Old 01-23-10, 10:42 AM
nap
I thought there was a post count threshold for activating PM's. It's been so long and maybe it was on the other forums I frequent but with vBulletin, apparently that limitation is available.

or is that in place here and the spammers are hitting the threshold to easily?

Old 01-24-10, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tom
Doing many a favor with time limits in place. Instead of short brief one liner replies, reply to posted questions with full details and you're not likely to even notice any posting time limits. All that easy... .
Actually, you doing a disservice to the majority of the people that contribute here. Without these people, there would be no site.

You are making another excuse Tom, saying that one liner response are somehow bad? A member could simply ask a question like, "Do certain moderators of this board care about the majority of the contributors here?" Obviously the answer could easily be entered as just, "No", but we have to type if filler words to just beat the character limits.

Not every question needs a paragraph response. It's your choice whether to hinder the board by restricting the most basic of things in order to fight "spam," but also take into consideration the others you are affecting.

I'm a member of other boards that get more traffic then this place and they do not have time limits on posting or PM's and they also don't seem to have a spammer problem. I could get you some contacts so maybe you could find out how they code their vbulletin? Just a thought.....

Old 01-24-10, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
I've always wondered if a certain very active mod over in the electric forum who left suddenly with no explanation left because of frustration over the inflexibility of the board.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-24-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-24-10, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
That horse has been beat to death, buried, dug up, beat to death again, and reburied, Mark.
The above pretty much says it all.

For whatever reason........lack of will, not possible or a low priority, we have not been able to get this problem fixed to everyone's satisfaction.
It is something we have to live with, (hopefully only for now).
As much of a problem as it is for some, the time limit does allow super and group mods to deal with the reduced level of spam in the time we are able to spend on these forums.

What the time limit has done is eliminate the casual spammer totally after one banning leaving a small group of dedicated repeat offenders.
So to be brutally honest, I too would hope for a software fix so we can spend even less time on spammers but until it happens it would be good if we all quit whining about it.

As far as a mod quitting over frustration I would view this as a natural progression.
Many mods in the past have dedicated themselves unselfishly and wholeheartedly to the forums and deserve a major pat on the back for doing so.
However, after a time many mods get burnt out and become bitter and sarcastic where leaving is the right thing to do.
We are all volunteers and have no power to make major changes and until someone does we have to work with the tools we are given.
In the mean time hopefully everyone will be patient and get back to helping folks.

I am closing this thread and will give it a short while to be read by all who participated where it then will buried for good.
Consider this a cremation, not to be dug up again.

Greg

Closed Thread