Reasons why everything costs so much

Old 01-22-10, 12:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Reasons why everything costs so much

Read in my Eau Claire Leader Telegram just the other day that the cost of tuition since 1970 has gone up in price by about.............(get ready)..........

16-17 times.

Come on with this!!!

So figure that kids that go to college have loans they have to pay back. Then consider they have to earn more money to pay it off. And that obviously they cannot afford to work in anything other than real high paying jobs that will allow them a decent lifestyle over and above their ability to pay off their student loan(s).

So then we wonder why health cost have skyrocketed? It has to. Every lab tehnician, nurse, doctor, hospital diagnostic machine mfg. engineers, etc., etc., etc., has to earn big money to pay off big college loans!

Do you know that around 1978 I was paying $6.50 for a carton of name brand 100 cigarettes? That cost me roughly 58% of what I was making. Now if I were to smoke, it be something like 300 -450% of what I am earning!

I wonder if there is a site on the internet that shows what things cost say in the mid-60's compared to what things cost today. And also what a factory job was paying then, and what it is paying today. I would really enjoy seeing such a site so I can more better see where we have gone wrong.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-10, 02:07 PM
Odd, I ran across some old paperwork the other day and one was a ledger sheet from my College (1970). Tuition, room and board ran.....get this.....$2500 per year. Private college nonetheless. Of course that was probably 1/3 of what my dad made. Thankful for small scholarship money.
My daughter has been a doctor for probably 10 years and is STILL paying student loans off. My wife is still paying for hers when she went back for her Master's degree. But at 2%, they will be the last to get paid off. When we refinanced the house a few years ago, she wondered why I didn't pay off the school loans with some of the cash out. Pay off the 15% charge cards first, duh.

Old 02-08-10, 10:34 PM
If you do a Google using the terms inflation calculator you get a few neat sites. Here's a couple.

The Inflation Calculator

CPI Inflation Calculator

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2009

When I graduated from college in 1972 I got a fairly decent civil service job paying the grand sum of $877 a month. That's about $5.04 an hour or $10,500 a year. When I retired in 2005 I was making about ten times that much but in many ways I had only slightly more purchasing power. Back in '72 I could buy a pair of shoes for ten bucks, now it is about eighty for the same quality.

Here's another interesting site, this one on the cost of food over the years. The Food Timeline--historic food prices

And some interesting comparisons: Current Value of Old Money

1970s history including Popular Culture, Prices, Events, Technology and Inventions

I once told a friend that the Internet is either the greatest research tool or the greatest time waster ever invented.

Old 02-11-10, 12:17 AM
The way things are right now, costs will only continue to rise up. We may be earning a few hundreds more, but the price of commodities will also go up. It's always the same. The poor will stay poor and the rich will stay rich -- all other factors excluded, of course.

Old 02-11-10, 06:48 AM
$$$$

Dont get me started on College cost!!! Extra fees for this, fees for that. My sons college requires students to pay $500 per year for reserved parking!!! Even if you live on campus!! If not, you are on your own to find a parking space "somewhere" on campus!! He lives in a dorm and needless to say he is "on his own" to park. He told me next year they are going to start charging bicycles to park in the bike racks !!! Give us a break!!!!

Old 02-12-10, 08:40 AM
I took 5 years to get my engineering degree back in the early 1970's. By going to a community college the first two years and a state university the last three years, my total cost of college, including room and board, was around $8,000. My parents paid for about half and I financed the other half working summer jobs. I thought I lived comfortably back then, but I didn't drive a new car, have a huge TV, or live in a luxury apartment like most of the kids I see nowadays at the local university. But I lived as well as most college kids back in the 70's.

Nowadays, kids are graduating with student loans upwards of $100,000 or more, plus whatever general credit card debit they have. I can't imagine considering buying a house when you already have that kind of loan obligation hanging over your head. What's even worse is that a college degree is almost mandatory these days to get any kind of job, so we're going to end up with a lot of student debt floating around for years. With the need to pay off that kind of debt, these kids are going to have a rough time saving up adequately for retirement.

Old 02-12-10, 09:39 AM
$$$

Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
I took 5 years to get my engineering degree back in the early 1970's. By going to a community college the first two years and a state university the last three years, my total cost of college, including room and board, was around $8,000. My parents paid for about half and I financed the other half working summer jobs. I thought I lived comfortably back then, but I didn't drive a new car, have a huge TV, or live in a luxury apartment like most of the kids I see nowadays at the local university. But I lived as well as most college kids back in the 70's.

Nowadays, kids are graduating with student loans upwards of $100,000 or more, plus whatever general credit card debit they have. I can't imagine considering buying a house when you already have that kind of loan obligation hanging over your head. What's even worse is that a college degree is almost mandatory these days to get any kind of job, so we're going to end up with a lot of student debt floating around for years. With the need to pay off that kind of debt, these kids are going to have a rough time saving up adequately for retirement.
Depending on where you go of course but 8 grand will only pay for a semester now days!!!

Old 02-12-10, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Well...I was going to say...

My stepson is going to UW, right now he's in the CC classes up there...and its running about $1000 a qtr/sem...whatever ya call it. We and his Dad pay tuition and books for core classes and required electives. Anything else he wants to take just for enjoyment..he pays himself. He pays his own rent, utilities, food, transport (mostly bus or bike since he has no lic). Oh...He was/is also working FT, or as close to it as possible...though I guess he was moved officially from FT to PT. Luckily he's still covered under his Dads medical and dental.

When he starts at UW proper..its going to run about $8000 total per year...so roughly double the CC. I can't imagine having to fund the full ride....I'd probably just walk out into the desert like an old Indian Chief.....

Old 02-13-10, 04:58 PM
furd,

Thanks for the links, and I will definitely check them out. I find this business facscinating.

gqlefty,

Also regarding the college tuition fee - I read briefly in our paper( I was on the way out the door on the way to work and took a sneak peak at the headline) that they approved another huge tuition increase by I believe over $1000 for the year. I will have to get out that paper and find it, and report back. How in the world can the public or private sectors think they can just get away with hiking costs so much, in a day and age when many people do not even have jobs?! In fact, I just spoke to an investor yetsterday who is scarfing up cheap properties in Michigan due to all the unemployment and foreclosures there.

And no wonder there is this Tea Party movement going on (good topic for a thread?)!

Old 02-13-10, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
...I'd probably just walk out into the desert like an old Indian Chief.....
And go die, instead? Yeah - that's the ticket.

Old 02-13-10, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Also regarding the college tuition fee - I read briefly in our paper( I was on the way out the door on the way to work and took a sneak peak at the headline) that they approved another huge tuition increase by I believe over $100 a year
Tuition goes up $100 a year ever since I can remember and this is for all paid schools, not just college.

Old 02-13-10, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
Nowadays, kids are graduating with student loans upwards of $100,000 or more, plus whatever general credit card debit they have.
And there's why health care costs so much. This is redonkulous.

We need to get rid of such a system and have people volunteer teaching out of their homes for free. Until we turn this country back around. (Need a tongue-in-cheek smiley). How in the world does anyone think our system can function, and pay down our debt, when you have this kind of thing going on, on one hand, and double digit unemployemt on the other?!

Old 02-13-10, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Tuition goes up $100 a year ever since I can remember and this is for all paid schools, not just college.
Oops! Sorry. Now go and read my post again.

Old 02-13-10, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Oh, OK, but I don't think that's the norm, is it?
At least not around where I'm from.

Old 02-13-10, 05:37 PM
I have $70k in school loans.
My girl and I share a mortgage, though she is unemployed for the next few years as she goes back to school.

We get buy, but I certainly cannot fathom how anyone could waste even $1 on a television subscription. We can barely go out to dinner maybe once every two months and there is very little savings to be had.

Old 02-14-10, 09:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs down Tea Party???? Not The Solution To Everything Nor Anything

Tea Party. (good topic for a thread?)!
NO! NO! & NO! NO good.

And no wonder there is this Tea Party movement going on
TEA PARTY???????????

Is that the party of NO - NO & NO?????

TEA PARTY DEFINITIONS: (???)

NO to everything!

NO to anything!

But we have a few YESES:

YES! We have NO solutions to anything.
YES! We have NO solutions to everything.
YES! We say NO! NO! & NO! to everything and anything.

Except lowering TAXES!.......To which we say YES...

Lowering taxes provides LESS $$$$ to pay the NATIONAL DEBIT!!!!!!!.....

TEA PARTY says....What NATIONAL DEBIT????.....

TEA PARTY says YES to imposing our will on everybody whom does not agree with us about anything and just about everything....

FACTS:

Every time a Republican is in office, the taxes do get lowered but the national debit gets raised. Lower taxes = Less $$$$ for repayments. BTW: The NATIONAL DEBIT includes interests.

More $$$$ spent for national debit reduction equals LESS $$$$ for infrastructure repairs, social services, loans to businesses, etc. Including education!

Let's face it. The National Debit is a debit just like any other debit. Has interest charges and must be repaid. More debit ='s higher repayments.

Also has a ceiling level. More debit ='s a higher risk level at higher interest rates to a point where risks become so high countries whom LOAN us the $$$$ can refuse to continue to do so...... Just about to that point in our current state of financial affairs in this country.......

Check The FACTS:
Every time a Republican is in office the NATIONAL DEBIT isn't disclosed or rarely if ever mentioned. However, it goes way UP! Every time a Democrat is in office, the national debit is mentioned, an attempt to pay it down or pay it off is made and it always goes DOWN.

In order to have no National debit or one much lower, taxes must be RAISED. When the national debit has a surplus, there is extra $$$$ for other services and expenses. Just like a pay check. Low debit ratio (expenses) means more (disposable income) or spendable dollars.

Summations:
Republicans or Tea Party means LOWER taxes but with a higher national debit (CREDIT) and less money for usage in our country for everything and just about anything.

Decorates in office means HIGHER taxes, deficit (DEBIT) reductions. However, more $ for social services, more money for infrastructure, educational costs, business loans and just about $$$$ for every thing and any thing.

YES to it all.... Not NO to it all.....

Old 02-14-10, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
OK...well I guess its time to close this thread. It has somehow turned from a "lamenting the costs" thread..to a "political finger pointing" thread.

Lets not get started on that...I see plenty in my local papers opinion page.

Old 02-14-10, 11:59 AM
Okay, then. So the thread stays open, I found the newspaper articles on the tuition hike. Two articles in two days. One says one thing, and the other says something different, or else there was a major mistake. I will need to call up the paper tomorrow to ask what is the correct figure: $300 a year or $1,200 a year? IF $300 a year why is not that figure brought up once in 2 days?

Here is what they said on the 5th:

"Tuition boost clears panel

.....recommmended a surcharge that will add $1,200 to UW-Eau Claire differential tuition over the next four years." (What the heck is differential tuition?!)

Here is what it said on the 6th:

"...The Blugold (nickname of UW-EC) Commitment differential tuition - a separate tuition above the tuition set annually by the Board of Regents - will total $1,200 per year, phased in over four years. (ecman's bold).

Since on the 6th they also said phased in over 4 years, how could you phase in somethign per year, over 4 years? Maybe they made a mistake about the per year thing? I will call the newspaper, then UW -EC if necessary, to get to the bottom of this.

Now get this -in our bad economy -the reason they heed the hike is so (get ready) they can hire 50 more faculty members and reduce class sizes, acedemic and career advising will be improved (gee I wonder how they did it before?), and more money spent on health services (um...for who? -tenured already high paid professors?)

And here is a good one: They lowered the suggested tuition increase from $1500, to the $1200, to show that they really do listen to the complaints of the student body? Hmmm. Smacks of 70%-off sales on t-shirts, that are originally $75.

Gee! Sorry for simply mentioning the name "tea party". Yipes!

Old 02-14-10, 03:37 PM
Want to really get your blood boiling? Do a Google search using the terms salaries of university presidents and see what these people get. Often the salary is just a part of it as many also get free housing and sometimes chauffeured limos in addition to maids and cooks.

I think that anyone that gets a half-million bucks a year AND free housing can afford to pay for their maids and cooks from their own pocket.

Old 02-14-10, 03:50 PM
I will need to call up the paper tomorrow to ask what is the correct figure: $300 a year or $1,200 a year? IF $300 a year why is not that figure brought up once in 2 days?
At my school, every year there was about a $2,000 increase in tuition. I was in school from 2003-2007. On average it was about $2,000 as I said but every couple years there was a larger hike, for one reason or another.

Want to really get your blood boiling? Do a Google search using the terms salaries of university presidents and see what these people get. Often the salary is just a part of it as many also get free housing and sometimes chauffeured limos in addition to maids and cooks.

I think that anyone that gets a half-million bucks a year AND free housing can afford to pay for their maids and cooks from their own pocket.
what professor or school president do you know has their own maids and cooks? I went to a relativity small private school so I could very well be comparing apples to oranges.

At any rate, it is my humble opinion that teachers, which many a school presidents were or are, should have the highest salaries. Above all else education is the most important tool we have, as a society of this country and of this world. I guess we could argue about he salary of a school president but they do have a very large responsibility. I think there is a case to be made about the salaries of college sports coaches; to me, these folks are paid to much. I guess it all boils down to what you think is fair.

Old 02-14-10, 07:17 PM
I read about it recently in our local area, of course I can't find a link.

Certainly you are correct that some teachers are worth their weight in gold but others are not worth the powder it would take to blow them away. The pay disparities among teachers IS something that is of great concern to me. When the exact same job description with a single school district has the lowest pay at $23,000/year and the highest pay in the exact same job description at more than $60,000 a year something is rotten to the core.

Now when yuo want to compare top educators, be they university president or local school district superintendents to the CEOs of Fortune 100 companies I take a different position. My personal feelings are that most CEOs are vastly overpaid. I mean, after the first couple of million dollars a year you kind of stop counting.

Old 02-15-10, 03:42 PM
When the exact same job description with a single school district has the lowest pay at $23,000/year and the highest pay in the exact same job description at more than $60,000 a year something is rotten to the core.
Well, he only thing I can think of here is the number of years the professor has been working. It's not like a standard corporate ladder as it were. If you teach math, you are probably going to teach math your entire career and not move to literature study. That said, a 35 year old professor would probably get paid less than a 60 year old professor simply because they have been in study much longer and have more experience. I would expect the same to be said in a business.

Old 02-15-10, 04:21 PM
My example had to do with elementary school teachers but other than education I know of no position where a person receives pay raises (other than across-the-board cola) for doing nothing more than staying in the same position for several years. Most jobs are such that increased pay comes from either greater responsibility, increased duties or greater education. Certainly I think that a person who attains a master's degree or Ph.D deserves more pay (usually) than does a person with only a BS or BA degree

Old 02-15-10, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
At my school, every year there was about a $2,000 increase in tuition. I was in school from 2003-2007. On average it was about $2,000 as I said but every couple years there was a larger hike, for one reason or another.

what professor or school president do you know has their own maids and cooks? I went to a relativity small private school so I could very well be comparing apples to oranges.

At any rate, it is my humble opinion that teachers, which many a school presidents were or are, should have the highest salaries. Above all else education is the most important tool we have, as a society of this country and of this world. I guess we could argue about he salary of a school president but they do have a very large responsibility. I think there is a case to be made about the salaries of college sports coaches; to me, these folks are paid to much. I guess it all boils down to what you think is fair.
A very decent salary to attract the best minds is one thing. Even if say years ago, the pay was exhorbitant. That would have been okay. Perhaps expected. But what justifies such yearly increases that you speak of? Economic principles have to start breaking down when this sort of thing goes on, and is allowed to continue.

And like I said, this just has to be very instrumental in causing a big chain effect, which has to elevate everyone elses salaries, and what goods and servies cost, because of this.

What is wrong with 3% yearly increases to keep up with cost of living increases? When one group tries to get way out in front of everyone else, then everyone else tries to play catch-up.

That is what also happens with the minumum wage law when huge pay hikes go in effect every so many years. Then the carpenter goes, "Saaaaay. I used to make 3 times more than minumum wage at $15/hour. So now I want $21/hr. And then when he gets that, then the next guy wants more, etc., etc., etc., on down the line.

And people who teach at universities and graduate with degrees from them, cannot get a grasp on this?, and do something to stop this out-of-control spiral mess we are in?

Search this Thread