one-post wonders

Old 02-07-10, 03:54 PM
Angry one-post wonders

From now on when I see that a poster who is asking a question has just joined, I'm going to first ask if they really want an answer. I'm tired of researching, making drawings, finding illustrations and writing out a lengthy point-by-point answer just to have the original poster never return.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-10, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Sometimes I will just ask one or two simple questions and see if they respond. I think sometime our answers are not as simple as they expected and they just give up. Sometimes I suspect they can't find their way back to their original post.

The part I find interesting is when a thread runs ten or more posts and the original poster has never responded back. Not sure if it is exactly a waste of time since some futurer poster may be helped by the thread but are we really doing much in those cases?

Old 02-07-10, 05:55 PM
I don't mind at all when several of us "regulars" discuss something that has been brought up by a new member, I think we all learn something that way. At the very least we have our cyber beer fests! Beer 4U2

You may be right though about overloading someone with too many facts.

Old 02-07-10, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I do what Ray does. Ask innocuous questions, such as what is your joist spacing. Then, if they respond, I continue, or someone else will pick up on it and run.

Old 02-07-10, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
I know it is frustrating but you can't forget that many people other than the OP are reading your solutions.
Another thing is I know for a fact that many that do not return to acknowledge an answer have actually visited the forums after they get a response.

I can't remember, when a member views a person's profile can you see the date and time of their last visit?

Old 02-08-10, 05:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
My Two Cents.

One reason for a lack of response is the poster asking the original question also posted an exact duplicate in another topic where they are getting replies. You're awaiting a reply while the OP is already getting replies elsewhere..... Which is one reason why duplicates are not allowed....

Clicking a members name then selecting to see posts by this member may reveal OP has in-fact posted duplicates. If that is the case then answer to a lack of a reply back in one topic isn't getting any replies is now known.....

Topic mods should be checking for dupes. Topic mods should also be moving a post to the correct topic when it is determined a posted question is in the wrong topic. Doing this helps everyone, including members whom are reading existing posts to obtain answers to their questions before posting their question. (Repeatedly asked questions reposted over and over by many new members.)

Also re-title a post when the title does not express or reflect the true nature of the question. Recent example was something like: "Question for the gurus." Implies absolutely nothing about the nature of the question.

BTW: That post was retitled.... Also, a correct title wording helps when searching for an answer to a question, etc.

All part of a moderators job duties....

I can look and see, if the software can show members last posting date??????????...HUmmmm.... and display it, so a search isn't or wouldn't be needed. Good suggestion....

Beer 4U2

Old 02-08-10, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
It would be good if us ordinary posters had an easy way to report bad titles or posts that need moving. Yes, we can PM a mod but which one? The one we choose may not be back for hours or have left while we are PMing if we choose one listed as present.

We have a button for Spam but there is a stern warning not to use it for anything but spam. Perhaps the use of this button should be expanded or another button added.

Old 02-08-10, 10:41 AM
As a recent poster, I will tell you that when I first joined, I found it difficult to find the post I originally posted. I just remembered where I put it and then went and searched for it that way.

Others may not be so inclined. It didn't take me long to start clicking on "new posts" and finding replies that way.

I will also tell you that reading as many posts as I have, on similar topics have been extremely helpful. Stuff I never knew (although thought I probably should have).

I am a DIY'er. But I have have worked professionally and own jsut about every single tool you think a pro should have. I also regualrly take on rather large projects, from kitchens and baths, to finishing basements and roofing as well.

But the things I have read in here have been more than helpful. I may not have replied to those where I have been "enlightened" but they certainly were helpful.

This is probably one of the better forums I have been on. I look forward to continuing my education and offering advice as I know it. Funny thing is, I've learned more off of resposnes to advice I have given more than anything else.

Cheers to all Beer 4U2

Old 02-08-10, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
As far as finding posts I agree that some may have trouble but there are easy ways of coming back to what you posted.
Book marking would be the number one way but if you allow the forum to send you notices you will get an email whenever you get a response.

As far as members reporting bad titles or posts that need moving, quite frankly a mod should do this as part of their duties but if they aren't they likely are busy enough.

I know that moderators can see a members last visit on a member's profile but am not sure if a member can see this.
Can you?

Last Activity: Today 12:51 PM

Old 02-08-10, 01:08 PM
Finding your posts--> Search--> advanced search--> search by username

Old 02-09-10, 06:37 AM
Admin Emeritus
..............What?????

Post a question in a specific topic then return in a day or two and not able to find it???? That's confusing, troubling and distrurbing....

Click on the forum topic where the question was posted and look for the title in which you titled it. Or your member/user name or by date. Unless of course a member totally forgets their own question.....?????????? Or worse yet the site they posted it on?????

Looking down the list of recently posted questions in a topic one should easily locate their post. By default setting the forum topic should display about 10-15 days of posts.

The default settings can be changed in your settings or by using the option near the base of the forum.

Of course, some forums are extremely busy and often get many new posts per day. In such a case a member may have to change their default settings to show more then 1 or 2 weeks posts or look by page number, etc.

If a member posts a question and does not return for weeks, of course their post will move WAY down the list..... or onto another page. A search by page, name and/or title may then be required.

Unless I am confused........about this issue or misunderstand it, as compared to similar sites, (IMO) this format is one of the most easiest to navigate. I do surf the competitors sites too...YEAP!

Of course my statement just above is a biased & personal opinion because I formatted just about every aspect of the forums page(s) out that way...... To be user friendly and easy to navigate.

Open to just about any suggestion(s) for improvements....
Another option most other sites do not offer. Members input for improvements...........

Beer 4U2

Old 02-09-10, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If an OP has 2 posts, I always go to their "find all posts" thingy. Almost always it is a double post. Not being a moderator I try to go ahead and answer the one in the proper forum, and let them know they double posted and refer them to the other thread.
I believe they are truly looking for an answer, and even went through the 180 second time out session to double post! Most spammers won't do that.

"Member's input for improvements....." dare I go there??? How 'bout fixing the clock. Did I say that?