Harpists

Old 02-14-10, 03:40 PM
Harpists

Why do you never see a man playing the harp?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think that answer is permitted in these forums.

Old 02-14-10, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, there was Harpo Marx.

Oh and Gunguy plays the harp when he's not playing with guns, LOL!

JK Vic!

Old 02-14-10, 06:25 PM
It was supposed to be an honest question. Of all the symphony orchestras I have seen, including several dozen through the magic of television I have never seen a man play the harp. I once attended a graduation recital of the harp department of the University of Washington's school of music and all of the twenty or so graduates were women.

To expand the question I might add that I don't recall ever seeing a woman play the trumpet or trombone. Several other instruments often have predominately one gender who play but I do occasionally see a crossover.

But never with the harp. Why?

Old 02-15-10, 04:01 PM
My answer:
Men do not possess the finesse it takes to play the harp. It takes a softer, more graceful touch to play than any other instrument.

If no one else knows, who's to say I'm wrong?

Travis

Old 02-15-10, 04:26 PM
I think there are plenty of male harpists. Word just doesn't get around 'cause no one can pronounce their names.

I think you might consider the inclination of each gender to engage or develop themselves in different disciplines.
Obvious examples are sports verses ballet dancing.
But perhaps your contemplating an area were these gender differences are still expressed, but more subtly and not so obviouse to the casual obsever.
If you were studying art, you might even notice a gender exclusion relating to choice of style, etc.

Blurry image of man playing harp

Old 02-15-10, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
I don't think that answer is permitted in these forums.
I didn't even think a QUESTION like that is permitted in the forums? LOL. Want to hear some of the lulu questions I have?

Old 02-16-10, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Got some cabin fever going on there, ec?

Old 02-16-10, 04:35 PM
Tg,

Yeah. My whole life. I guess when you don't have kids...........

Just the other day I heard they know little about canker sores. Hmmm. (I have mouthfuls sometimes, and right now I have something the size of a dime. ) What do you suppose I thought next. I started correlating canker with cancer, wondering how they know what they do about that, fortunate for those being cured of that.

Then I wondered why they just don't hand the UConn girls the championship trophy right now, and be done with it. What a waste to watch any other college girl team play when you know UConn will smoke them.

Ever wonder if there is a "safest state", least likely to have fire ants, killer bees, earthquakes, tornadoes, fire, mudslides, hurricanes, or fall out from a nuclear blast?

I could go on and on and on, with stuff.

Old 02-16-10, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Here is some interesting comments on the same subject in another forum. Forum Young Harpists: Any male harpists in here?

Old 02-16-10, 05:15 PM
There not many harpists out there because they have to lug around a harp. A female can always find a male to move it to and from the car or van. - Usually a van for a real harp and it has to be where it is going the acclimate to the temperature and humidity, which is not a quick process if it is to be moved.

Old 02-17-10, 02:07 PM
Group Moderator
The music at my wedding was provided by a male playing a harp

He was good

Old 02-18-10, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the link, Ray, unfortunately it doesn't work for me, at least not at 1 AM.

Ever wonder if there is a "safest state", least likely to have fire ants, killer bees, earthquakes, tornadoes, fire, mudslides, hurricanes, or fall out from a nuclear blast?
Well, I've lived in western Washington all my life but I have visited many other states and I think that where I am is pretty nice. No fire ants, no killer bees, no poisonous snakes (rattlesnakes east of the mountains) no scorpions and no tarantulas except as pets. I don't think we have any termites although we do have Carpenter ants and they are almost as bad.

Yes, it is earthquake country but in almost sixty years I can honestly state that I have felt only three or four and never sustained any damage to my residences or even any of my friends. The Nisqually quake (nine years ago next week) did do a real number on a building at the site I once worked but all it really did was advance the already planned move of the people in that building.

We can have some pretty fierce winds depending on just where you are but no hurricanes and a "funnel cloud" is a rare occurrence and never seems to develop into a full-fledged tornado or cause any damage.

Of course we have fires but I have only known one person that ever experienced a tragedy due to fire and it was probably because he was smoking in bed. We have wildfires, accidental fires and occasionally intentionally set fires in our forests but seldom do they threaten more than a handful of residences, certainly not California and staying on the west side they are even more rare.

Sounding pretty good? In the Puget Sound basin temperatures rarely drop below freezing or exceed 90 degrees. Snow in the lowlands is rare and usually doesn't last more than a few days to a week. Many winters (this last one) we don't get any snow at all. Contrary to the myth it doesn't rain all the time and we don't actually get that much rain when it does, annual rainfall for the greater Seattle area is about 35 inches a year. By comparison, the Hoh rain forest, maybe thirty or forty miles away as the crow flies (and on the seaward side of the Olympic mountains) gets over 100 inches a year. Here it can rain continuously for three days and not amount to a quarter of an inch.

Rain aside, we don't get a lot of sunshine either, probably what leads people to think it always rains. Some people might hate the lack of sunshine but I love it as the pupils in my eyes don't close down far enough and even on cloudy bright days I need to wear dark glasses.

No income tax but we do have a high sales tax that will soon become higher. The populace in the greater Seattle area is politically ultra liberal and some of the larger cities have significant gang problems. People like to complain about just about everything but I think that is universal. Our gasoline prices are higher than the national average even though we have several refineries in state. Our natural gas prices (mostly imported from Canada) are higher than the national averages too but our electricity is quite cheap in comparison to almost anywhere else in the country.

I have no intention of leaving.

Old 02-18-10, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Furd the link works this morning. Far exceeds characters permitted here so can't C&P.

Old 02-18-10, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Ray, and what a GREAT SITE!

Old 02-18-10, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Rain aside, we don't get a lot of sunshine either, probably what leads people to think it always rains. Some people might hate the lack of sunshine ........
Oh, I forgot volcanoes, mosquitoes and chiggers.

Anyway - I love sunshine. Gotta have it. I'd put up with some of the stuff on my list of horrors if I could have more sunshine. A place I could not handle would be Alaska.

Old 02-18-10, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
The music at my wedding was provided by a male playing a harp

He was good
I learned along time a ago, maybe when Tiny Tim sang "Tiptoe, through the tulips..."(BTW - stumbled across a clipping, one day, that I have of Tiny Tim in his casket), - or did Liberace do it for me? - anyway - that probably anything one could imagine would be possible.

Old 02-18-10, 05:29 PM
Never seen a chigger and not that much trouble from mosquitoes, and I would know about the "skeeters" because I'm allergic to the nasty things. The beaches do have sand fleas but I've never been particularly bothered by them either.

Volcanoes? Are you serious? Sure Mt. St. Helens caused a bit of damage but it was the first time in over two hundred years. Every "authority" says that Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker will erupt again someday but no one is willing to make any prediction of when "someday" may be. One of them (or maybe both) will likely erupt sometime in the next five hundred years but worrying about it is, in my opinion, about like worrying that the moon is going to fall out of the sky and crush my bird feeder.

I spent Memorial day weekend at Dizzyland about 12 years ago. The temperature was in the mid-eighties and sun so bright even with my dark glasses it made me miserable. I couldn't get out of that horrible weather soon enough.

Old 02-18-10, 05:36 PM
I wonder how much they pay people who dress up like Goofy and Mickey to go cavorting around in that kind of weather.

Old 02-19-10, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had a friend that was "Goofy" back in the 70's [you know I ribbed him a lot about that] I don't recall him ever mentioning the pay but he did say he was required [as all Disney's male employees were] to shave during the mid day break..... and nobody ever saw his face

He didn't keep the job too long, he quit, started hanging drywall and grew a beard

Old 02-19-10, 12:48 PM
Furd, the weird thing about chiggers is once you get the red bump and the horrendous itch, the chigger is already gone. My wife gets them every year in the garden, and complains to me to put fingernail polish on the site (s). I keep telling her, they're gone, you just have the aftermath of their presence. She gets them in places, I didn't even know there was places....gee!

Search this Thread