internet calling

Old 02-15-10, 08:46 AM
internet calling

My roaming costs for cell down here in the states seems to run about $3.00 per minute or more. My bills are always $2 or $3 hundred when I get home. I just tried skype and it actually works. People don't even know I'm using internet. I'm an ex telco guy and we always knocked lesser quality mediums (remember Sprint hearing a pin drop) and voip (voice over ip) really hasn't taken so I'm surprised. Some issues but overall I'm impressed. Anyone else use internet for voice calls?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Anyone else use internet for voice calls?
Like that ad on tv where you pay less than $2 a month?

Old 02-15-10, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Had Vontage for a year. It worked but our broadband connection was not fast enough (768mbps down and up) to handle the the wife on the phone and me gaming online. Both connections suffered with packet loss.

Old 02-15-10, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Like that ad on tv where you pay less than $2 a month?
Haven't seen that one EC but just finished a 20 min call with my brother back in Canada. We're doing this over wireless at a holiday inn and it was almost perfect. Guess it takes an ex telco guy to get excited about that but I'm just blown away.

Five years ago, just before I retired I sold a voip wireless system to a Cat dealership to use over several locations (including Russia ) and apparently it did not work out (Northern Telecom equipment but theyve since switched to Cisco). That was a big deal then but yet here I am in some hotel using skype on a laptop for almost nothing and it works perfect. Crazy how things have advanced.

Old 02-15-10, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Had Vontage for a year. It worked but our broadband connection was not fast enough (768mbps down and up) to handle the the wife on the phone and me gaming online. Both connections suffered with packet loss.
Regarding wife on phone. There is a word limit even on broadband

Old 02-15-10, 09:21 PM
VoIP is completely dependent on the quality of the Internet connection. Shortly after getting Internet service via my cable television provider I signed up with Sunrocket. At first the service was fairly good but over the course of about 18 months it became rather inconsistent. Makiing my displeasure known SR directed me to a site that measured not just the speed of Internet connection but also the consistency of that speed which is often called the Quality of Service.

Well, it turned out that my ISP was switching the service to a point where I would have speeds several times faster than advertised and then dropping to near zero data transfer always changing from millisecond to millisecond. I would have a QofS that averaged somewhere around 50% with it often dropping so low as to not be measurable however when checking strictly speed I always had results that equaled the advertised service speeds.

What this meant was often my calls were dropped or one side of the conversation was not going through. This happened if I made the call or I was answering a call. Time of day had no discernible effect as the QofS and the call problems would happen as often at 3 AM as 3 PM.

(Move ahead a year or so.)

I finally changed ISP and went with Verizon FiOS and whenever I checked the speed/QofS it was at the advertised speed and the QofS was almost always at 98%. I started researching different VoIP providers and eventually bought my own ATA (analog telephone adapter). Since I was locked into a two year contract on the FiOS that included unlimited domestic telephone service there was really no advantage to my using VoIP it wasn't until about six or eight months ago that I signed up for a "pay as you go" VoIP plan.

Now I have to state that doing the speed/QofS tests for the last few months have given results that could be problematic yet my VoIP service (outgoing calls only on my plan) works flawlessly. I think that the servers handling the tests are probably the cause of my less-than-stellar test results. Unfortunately it seems that finding a server that does complete VoIP testing is rather difficult.

One thing about VoIP is that if you lose your Internet service you also lose the telephone so you really need a secondary system, for me the low-cost plan I have on my cellular phone fits the bill perfectly. While I still had the cable ISP I found out that two hours into a widespread power outage I lost both cable tv and Internet service. Since I have my own generator the loss of power did not leave me in the dark but the cable company did.

I haven't had any power outages since so I don't kknow what woould happen with the FiOS system. I'm only about a mile and a half from the Verizon switching center but I don't know if there are switches or powered repeaters in between that would go down in case of a widespread power outage.