will spring ever come?

Old 02-24-10, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
will spring ever come?

Until yesterday there has been snow on my property since the 12/18/09 snow storm. It finally all melted and now the weather man says it will snow this evening and more tomorrow

I know our friends to the north are used to having snow on the ground for the entire winter.... but this is N.E.Tn. Here it's supposed to snow a little and melt off in a few days. You get to enjoy a little snow and it's gone before your tired of it

I'm ready for spring! but I don't want to be reminded that the blizzard of 93 was in march

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-10, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whatever day spring arrives here (forget the calendar date), about two days later it will be hot, humid summer. Ma nature seems to have forgotten the spring season.
F.Y.I. we just had a snow burst but now it's back to flurries. I thought Gore would be keeping the temps up in Tenn.

Old 02-24-10, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Well, it's 69 and we're getting a little rain this afternoon.......

Old 02-24-10, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, it's 69 and we're getting a little rain this afternoon...
OK, here he is showing off again, LOL!

Our snow never melted and we're looking at maybe another foot tomorrow!
I think Phila. got more snow than anyone this year and we broke several records. We already had 73" this year and now we're gonna add on to it.
I HATE THIS STUFF. GO AWAY!

Old 02-24-10, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Just doing my part to pump up the local economy. Did I mention spring training baseball games begin next week?

Old 02-24-10, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My weather is similar to Marksr's, since we are neighbors. Ours just melted as of yesterday, and we'll get more tomorrow. I like snow, cold weather, but there is a saturation point. I hate summer, especially in Sarasota. In winter you can add clothing to stay warm. In summer, you can only get so nekkid before they arrest you.
My daughter got married in Sarasota back at the turn of the century.....in April....93 degrees and it felt like 200% humidity. And she got married outside, in the fire ant beds and all. TG, rub it in.

Old 02-24-10, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Spring is March 20th.

I always like to tell people that say winter is too long here, winter is only 3 months. I still have ice fishing to do with my new toy. I better get busy!

Old 02-24-10, 05:58 PM
This morning it was 27 below plus the wind. We have well over 2' of snow. I was in Memphis 2 weeks ago and had to use my 4 wheel drive because of the ice and snow.

Old 02-24-10, 08:37 PM
70+ here today!!!!! Oh wait a minute...............I'm in Phoenix. What is that strange feeling? Oh yeah, its sunshine accompanied by warmth.....with no windchill..........Ahhhhh!!!!

Old 02-25-10, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We were supposed to get 1"-3" last night, we got 1" but half of that melted

.... but they are calling for a chance of snow everyday for the next week

Just found out the schools are closed again. I don't think our grandson has been to school more than 5 times since they let out for Christmas on 12/18. Reckon they'll get a summer vacation this year?

Old 02-25-10, 10:08 AM
I haven't seen any snow for over a year. Temperatures in the low fifties.

Old 02-25-10, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
We were supposed to get 1"-3" last night, we got 1" but half of that melted

Just found out the schools are closed again.
Closing schools over 1" of snow? Amateurs.

Old 02-25-10, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
They did the same back in VA. The funny thing was the city schools would normally stay closed longer than the more outlying ones. The snow and all would start to melt..then refreeze at night into thick ice in the residential areas. The cities had very little equipment and had to clear major streets first.

Oh...we had some snow here earlier in the week...I enjoyed watching it fall on the mountains 10 miles away and 3000' higher....lol.

We got a few sprinkles....washed the dust off the cars....

Old 02-25-10, 01:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Scott, like Vic says, our snow is different than yours. It is all white when it falls, but our ambient ground temperature will melt it slightly causing it to form as ice, so by morning it is 1" of slick as snot ice. Here in the south we don't invest in snow removal equipment. Lucky to get gravel or sand spread by work time. We had several inches a few weeks back and I walked to and from where my truck was parked many times before the bell went off in my head. Hey, I could shovel this crap out of my way! Didn't think about it until I had to mop the kitchen 4 times in one day.

Old 02-25-10, 01:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here the mountains, hollers and winding narrow roads all play a part in closing the county schools. If the buses can't safely negotiate the roads to pick up all the kids - they cancel school. Across the mountains in North Carolina there are some school districts that open schools but with the buses running on clear roads only.

Like Larry said, the local governments in the south don't spend a lot for snow removal, after all it rarely sticks around for more than a day or two. Our local hwy dept has run out or almost run out of salt twice this year. I saw in the news that the salt supplier in Knoxville is having a hard time keeping a supply of salt this year.

I know the 1st day of spring is 3/20 but is that guaranteed

Search this Thread