question about manufactured homes

Old 02-26-10, 10:03 AM
Question question about manufactured homes

Hello ~ this is my first time here. we are remodeling our manufactured home. wanting to raise our 7' walls to 8' walls. This will require raising the roof. Any suggestions on which forum I should post this to?? Thanks ~

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-10, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure any forum would work, but you might try walls & ceilings.
Is this what used to be called a pre fab house? I think that it would require professional help and building permits to attempt this project. A mistake could collapse the house and your insurance would just say, tsk tsk.

Old 02-26-10, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
7 ft walls? Is this a mobile home/trailer...or a real manufactured home? If its a manufactured...it must be kinda old....all the ones I've seen in the last 10 yrs or so are pretty much standard. You know...regular height doors and walls and such.

Old 02-26-10, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thankful, welcome to the forums! The mods will move the post if it bothers them. We're good to go. You have 7' ceilings??? When was it manufactured? Has there been any floor work done on it to cause the raising of the floor?
In short, you will not be able to raise the roof without totally rebuilding the walls. You can't just set studs on top of the existing plate to raise the roof. It has to come from the base upward in a single move. As Vic mentioned, what size doors do you have? Most are 6'8", meaning your door is almost as tall as your ceiling.

Old 02-26-10, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most mobile homes have 7' tall walls, the newer ones will have a cathedral like ceiling but the walls along the exterior are still at 7' If I remember correctly, MH doors are usually 76" in height.

I'm not sure how feasible this project would be. As already mentioned, the exterior walls would need to be raised to support the new trusses or however you intend to frame up the higher ceiling and roof. I doubt the job could be done without complete removal of the existing roof.

I think mobile homes were reclassified 10-20 yrs ago and are now referred to as manufactured homes.... but not to be confused with the prefab homes that are installed on site [with a crane] to a site built foundation.

Old 02-26-10, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Most mobile homes have 7' tall walls, the newer ones will have a cathedral like ceiling but the walls along the exterior are still at 7' If I remember correctly, MH doors are usually 76" in height.

I'm not sure how feasible this project would be. As already mentioned, the exterior walls would need to be raised to support the new trusses or however you intend to frame up the higher ceiling and roof. I doubt the job could be done without complete removal of the existing roof.

I think mobile homes were reclassified 10-20 yrs ago and are now referred to as manufactured homes.... but not to be confused with the prefab homes that are installed on site [with a crane] to a site built foundation.

Is it possible to convert to cathedral ceilings without a total rebuild? Maybe just in a couple main rooms, kitchen, living room. Pretty sure I could figure out a way

Old 02-27-10, 05:00 AM
I had envisioned a "modular" home when manufactured was mentioned, as Marksr indicated. Still, even with a manufactured home, modifying the delicate truss system may not be possible, as it was built in a jig and all the stress was factored in for that unit. Changing the truss could cause problems.

Old 02-27-10, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've not seen the roof trusses for the newer MHs with a 3/12 pitch and cathedral ceiling but I am familiar with the older Mh roof system [almost flat roof] The framing is scary. An older MH truss consists of two 1x2's laid flat [top one with slight arch] with scrap paneling for gussets.

The only way I'd consider reframing a MH for a cathedral ceiling would be to remove the roof.

Larry, thanks for defining the "other" manufactured home as modular. I knew the term but couldn't get my brain to spit it out must have been covered up with dust and rocks

Old 02-27-10, 06:14 AM
Yeah, I have had the opportunity of "marrying" the two halves of modular homes before. Not a picnic, but if they are matched up closely, it is just a matter of installing subflooring and sheetrock on the walls and ceiling along the entire length.
Just wait til Tuesday, you can add snow to your dust and rocks. We're getting it again.

Old 02-27-10, 05:31 PM
Are you pretty much figuring you'd like to attempt this project even if you never were to be able to recoup the money you sunk into this?

Do you already realize all that has to be replaced or added onto to pull this off, on the interior and exterior?

Consider that if even done right, the house may look too tall for it's width. IMO, the trailers already look too tall for their widths, since they usually already sit off the ground 28 inches or higher.

Do you question why it might not be a good idea to just set another foot of wall ontop the existing?

Search this Thread