Those Were The Days

Old 03-04-10, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Those Were The Days

This is from a 1928 mail. Note it was on the back of a penny post card.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-10, 04:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My grandfather bought a 1929 Model A in 1929 and was still driving it when he died in 1964. Amazing vehicle.

Old 03-05-10, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
You'd be surprised how many people think they should get those prices for repairs today.

Old 03-05-10, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
You'd be surprised how many people think they should get those prices for repairs today.
Yes and there are also people that think custom draperies should cost the same as 50 years ago. And then there's the people that think they'll be cheaper than the readymades found at Target and Walmart!
Maybe people need to take off their rose colored glasses. Beer 4U2

Old 03-05-10, 12:25 PM
I haven't kept up with the times people at Home Depot will stop me and ask how much I would charge them to build a custom bookcase. They think it's just throwing wood together, I guess. I tell them to look at the ones inside the store and triple the price. Good wood and good labor ain't cheap. They don't understand those cookie cutter cabinets are made in a factory 500 at a time.
I did have a good experience, though. One customer had looked at the ready made, set on your site sheds. They asked me what I would charge to stick build one. It was about 2 1/2 times the cost of the shed. They said, OK, have at it. Weird.

Old 03-05-10, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Well, they were Georgia folks, right?

Old 03-05-10, 04:24 PM
They were in shorts with black knee high socks and brown wingtips, so I'm not sure!!

Old 03-05-10, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Oh yeah, you know it's going down to go downhill when the customers first words are, "I can't afford factory built...". Had one customer one time after the quote point to a pile of used lumber of assorted lengths and sizes full of nails that had been outside for who knows how long and ask, "How much if you use off the lumber I got back there?" My reply of, "Thirty percent more on labor", didn't leave him happy.

Don't know about you but there are some customers you get a bad felling about very quickly. When you first start out working for yourself you try to ignore it. Hey, your the boss now, its your company, you've got to worry about making a profit. You got to be the bigger person and suck it up but after a few times being bit you follow your instincts and give a bid you know is way to high hoping you won't get the job.

Old 03-05-10, 05:10 PM
This is what happens to a 29 Ford when someone stops maken them costly, 20 and 25 dollar repairs.

I bought this car from my neighbor. She was 89 when I got it from her. She remembers paying those high prices to have it fixed.
It was all original when I brought it home.
To have it all repaired when I got it, would have cost around $6000 to bring it back to (original) running condition.

Since I have had it,I added a few touches of my own.

Travis

Old 03-05-10, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Sweet, Travis!

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Old 03-05-10, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by waterwelldude View Post
Since I have had it,I added a few touches of my own.

Travis

Can she pop a wheelie? You going to put bumpers on that thing? If something flew into your radiator, what would you do?

Old 03-05-10, 08:51 PM
Thanks, Ray

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Can she pop a wheelie? You going to put bumpers on that thing? If something flew into your radiator, what would you do?

lol, A wheelie? With good tires,yea.
I have streetrod bumpers that go on it, but they don't help if I hit something. There mostly just for looks.
The radiator has a s/s grill guard that fits behind the chrome grill shell. It's actually protected better than most new cars on the road.

Old 03-06-10, 04:04 AM
Travis, what are you using for a power plant/transmission/rear end? Hurst shifter?? I still remember the little tag on the Hurst shifter when you broke open the box (back in the early 60's). It said "You have just purchased a Hurst Shifter, the finest shifter in the world. Shift it as hard as you like, just don't break your arm."

Old 03-11-10, 03:49 PM
For those of us who do not realize prices change, I bought a 100 ft extension cord back in '04 or so for $8.88 plus tax. The same cord is now $14 plus tax as of a month ago.

Old 03-12-10, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wow, there must be a big difference in light weight cords and 12 gauge. The last 100' cord I bought was in the late 90's and cost close to $50.

Had to stop and get a gallon of bleach the other day - did you know a jug of bleach now only holds 3 qts

Old 03-12-10, 11:01 AM
The store brands where I live still do 1 gallon for the bleach. The light duty cords are adequate for my usage and I do tend to be a bit rough on them at work so replacing the 12 gauge cord might fit in the area if cost prohibitive even though my boss pays me back for the items I buy for work.

Old 03-12-10, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I tend to buy the heavy cords because when I need to use an air compressor or airless - I don't want the amp/voltage drop to affect my equipment..... it costs too much and I'm too cheap to replace it unnecessarily