More government wasted money

Old 03-11-10, 12:14 PM
More government wasted money

I just go a Census letter today. Got ready to fill it out and found it was only informing me that I would receive another ( the real one) in the next few days and to fill it out.
I wonder why this first letter is sent and how much money is wasted?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-10, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
I saw that myself a few weeks back...and was waiting for the actual Census "in the next few days"...about a week and a half later..here comes a person walking down the street to hand deliver the actual form! I mean yeah, I live in a small town..but we do have USPS delivery every day....lol.

The local Census official explained that it was actually cheaper and more effective to have the forms hand delivered because of the large number of rentals, foreclosures, etc.

Say what? Out in the desert areas maybe...where a lot of folks have POBs they check once a month or live elsewhere much of the year...but in a residential single family home area..that makes no sense to me? I mean...why did they mail the first notice? lol

Old 03-11-10, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I got the same letter Tuesday, got around to opening it and prepared to fill it out yesterday and found it was just a letter informing the real census form would come in the mail next week

Old 03-11-10, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did they get this idea from Publisher's Clearing House? I get postcards from them to tell about other mailings. I kind of wonder if they are doing their part to bail out the postal service.

Old 03-11-10, 03:58 PM
Giles....EXACTLY!!! I got mine too. What a stupid waste of money. I have already written both Senators and my Representative asking they find out who the numbnut was that thought that up and put them on the street. 200 million people at 44 cents postage, an envelope, a piece of paper, and someone to write the letter at $65 an hour. I'm still cooling off from that one.

Old 03-12-10, 11:06 AM
Chandler, you might want to go to a driving range or batting cage to work off the anger. In the long run, those would be cheaper than an assault charge. To be truly outraged, read a book, named "adventures in porkland". It is a bit dated now, but it is scary to see how government wastes our money.

Old 03-12-10, 05:58 PM
No, the anger was the impetus to write my Senators and representative. I learned a long time ago how to channel it. Both your suggestions would be too rough on rotator cuffs that don't like my body. But thanks anyway. I'll have to check out porkland.

Old 03-13-10, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"it is scary to see how government wastes our money"

Has the gov't ever spent our money in a responsible efficient manner?

Old 03-13-10, 04:03 AM
Group Moderator
Stimulus plan for the Postal Service; nobody saw Obama's press conference on this?

Old 03-15-10, 03:11 PM
Announced on the news today, the "tickler" letters sent out prior to the census forms cost us $85 million. Now they want to add 31 million Americans to the health care rolls, that's over $2 million per person if they just used this wasted money to do it. I just wish I had that much to spend on health insurance. It would go quite a good way.

Old 03-15-10, 05:03 PM
I saw a story on a local television news site last week where it stated the cost of the warning letters as around 57 million dollars. It also stated that the letters increased the response to the census by 6 to 12 percent and each one percent improvement in the response rate saved 85 million dollars in follow-up expenses which means an estimated savings of between $510 million and $1.02 billion.

I've yet to see a warning letter, maybe the government knows better than to send one to me.

Old 03-16-10, 09:39 AM
Well, my census form was waiting in the mail last night. Took maybe 5 minutes to fill it out. Usual questions: how many people live at this address, anyone spend time elsewhere (such as jail or prison ), ages/birthdates, do you rent/own, and if you own, have a mortgage or own outright.

Filled it out and mailed it, as I don't want the clowns interrupting my solitude some evening to collect their info in person should I "forget" to provide this information in a timely manner.

Old 03-16-10, 01:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, ours came today, haven't opened it yet although there is a big notice on the envelope stating it's required by law to fill it out and send it in........ YIKES, I better get to it, don't want the census police knocking on my door

I saw on the news the other night that they've shortened the questionaire and made it easier to answer - all in the hopes of getting more people to fill them out and send them in.

Old 03-17-10, 04:53 AM
I filled mine out, well most of it. I don't mind the information in general, but my phone number "in case they don't understand an answer"???? C'mon give me a break. That's just what I want, a politician getting my phone number and calling it at precisely supper time (since they are exempt from the do not call list). I figure, since the answers were printed by them, and all I did was put a check mark, there wouldn't be too much to not understand.
I'll probably get a letter in the mail just prior to sentencing

Old 03-17-10, 11:37 AM
At my last job prior to retirement the first-line manager told me I had to give him my telephone number. I asked him if the company was going to pay the bill for my having a telephone and he replied, "Of course not!"

I then told him that he didn't need a telephone number for me and that he could use the company E-mail or US Postal Service to contact me if I was away from my work station. The guy wasn't very smart but he was smart enough to know not to push the issue.

I'll do the same for the Census, just write in the blank for the telephone number, NONE.

BTW, I still haven't received either the warning letter or my Census form.

Old 03-17-10, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Gosh...are you sure some of you guys don't secretly live in AZ? You should see some of the letters to the Editor when they do a PSA story on the census.....everything from NWO conspiracy to the Gov breaking into his home and stealing his clothes.....lol.

I've put more info on a loan or job application than they asked for. I can't remember the actual questions....but I thought it was odd that they asked your age AND your DOB...what..they wanna know when my parents got bored years and years ago?

Old 03-17-10, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Ya, I got the same letter Tuesday, got around to opening it and prepared to fill it out yesterday and found it was just a letter informing the real census form would come in the mail next week

Hmmm. Sounds familiar. I have a single sister who makes arrangements as to when she is to call my parents (say, 2 weeks from today). So then my sister calls the night before, to tell my parents that she will call them the next day. I'm not kidding.

Old 03-17-10, 07:48 PM
Yeah, Vic, but the loan and job applications aren't run by the Government. For some reason I just don't have a lot of trust left. I, too, wondered if their calculator was broken when they asked both age and DOB. Sort of like kids buying cigarettes at the 7-11.

Old 03-18-10, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Hey...I figger with my 24 yrs in the Navy (and I don't know how many background investigations for clearances)...and the fact I have to file tax returns.....they know about everything there is about me.....and I'll bet they're bored to tears....lol.

Old 03-19-10, 03:10 PM
Well, got my first response from one of my Senators. It was a pre-selected form letter giving me a Civics 101 lesson as to how important the Census was. It, in no way dealt with my question regarding the tickler letter and the money spent on it.

Old 03-19-10, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Larry...makes ya wonder how much is spent on automated computer equipment/software that just picks words out of your message and picks the best reply. Bet if you sent another...you'd get another canned response..but this time from a bit higher up.

And all this is payed for by who???

Old 03-20-10, 05:09 AM
Vic, I agree. In the email form they ask for a specific "subject" line from a drop down. I am going to send the same letter again, but put it under the heading of "Gun Control" or something totally unrelated to see if I get a canned response based on the subject rather than the content. I'll let you know.

Old 03-23-10, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I filled out and sent in our census form last week, today I got a post card reminding me to fill out the form and mail it in. There was also a line with an 800 number if you need help filling it out.

I know we've become an over weight slightly lazy society but are we also stupid?

Old 03-23-10, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Awww durn..ya beat me to it...same thing here. They couldn't have waited 4 wks or so until mine went through the system?

Old 03-23-10, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, the gov't can't waste any time waiting to spend all that money they don't have

Old 03-23-10, 03:20 PM
Red face goverment wasted money

I agree with all of you the census thing is sure using a lot of money up.

Old 03-23-10, 05:36 PM
Got another post card dated Mar.22 telling me to be sure to fill out the census thing I received after receiving a tickler letter telling me it was on the way. The money spent on this crud could buy insurance policies for the 31 million people many times over. It is untenable the amount of money (my money) that is spent for goofy stuff like this.
That's OK, the sound you will hear at 7pm on November 4, 2010 will be a big toilet flushing.

Old 03-23-10, 08:21 PM
Talking census

Got the tickler letter, got the form a week later. filled out the question asking how many people lived here, wrote n/a in everything else but race that one I checked other race and wrote in american. Let the gumint idjits figuer that one out.

Old 03-24-10, 06:32 AM
Got my "real" letter last week. I filled it out and mailed it the same day.
Well here comes a THIRD notification that I need to be sure to fill the form out and send it and if I have already, to please disregard this notification!!!

Old 03-24-10, 11:00 AM
Seems to me the census is going to single-handedly rescue the U.S. Postal Service, with all the business they're generating with those mailings!

Old 03-24-10, 03:34 PM
It's all "franking". You can't pay yourself and make money. It is a total loss of my money....and yours....and 200 million others.

Old 03-31-10, 04:56 PM
If you filled out the form and you wrote you had 1 kid, but you really had 4, would they write you back to tell you that you lied? Only for you to write THEM back and ask that if they already knew that, then why did you waste my taxpayer's dollars sending me a form to fill out stuff you already knew about me!

Old 03-31-10, 08:34 PM
the funny thing the only reason for a census is to set Congressional districts and how many congressmen each state gets, so why all the other questions, the only thing they need to know is how many live at this address, period. bty I said age 94 bday 59 see if they figure that one out. lol

Murphy was an optimist.

Old 04-01-10, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Speedwrench View Post
, the only thing they need to know is how many live at this address, period.
Ha. Tell them that and see what that gets you? I think this is a case that even if you vote incumbents out and put in new blood, that will not change.