Memorial service coming up

Old 03-11-10, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Memorial service coming up

Next month, I am going to a memorial service for one of my teachers who passed on recently. What is the appropriate style of dress for this? I haven't been to a funeral or anything like that in 20 years so I would appreciate some pointers. It will be strange seeing childhood friends for the first time in 18 years.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-10, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Ok...odd place to ask...but here we go.

Blazer and tie is always good for semi-formal (no tennis shoes). Business type shirt (long sleeve) with formal slacks might be OK w/o a jacket...depends on the venue. Everything also somewhat depends on where you are located and the weather. I've attended weddings and funerals in shorts. And done the same in suits....

Unless you are speaker or participating..there is normally no need to be formal.....

btw...welcome to the Forums!!!

Old 03-11-10, 03:54 PM
Thumbs up

Thank you for the welcome, the reason I posted it here is because I am about as fashion conscious as your common snapping turtle and not always a people person.

Old 03-11-10, 03:54 PM
I agree with Vic. Comfortable for the climate, maybe a jacket and tie, although I refuse to wear them. I did wear one to my mom's funeral a few weeks ago, but that was a have-to situation. Funny aside. I was kidding one of my childhood friends that I only had two suits, one for funerals and one for weddings. I felt something in the inner pocket and pulled it out. It was the announcement for his father's funeral in 2005! So it doesn't get worn a lot.
Just remember, YOU are the important part, not your clothes, and it is about your teacher, not your appearance, so be cool and enjoy the reunion. That's how we do it in the South.
Oh, just wait until your childhood is separated from today by 50 years or so. That really gets weird.

Last edited by chandler; 03-11-10 at 06:14 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 03-12-10, 11:13 AM
Thank you for the advice. Going to the old hometown will be strange. It is a small town, but huge compared to where I live now.

Old 03-12-10, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
I have a black suit I always wear to funerals

White shirt, muted tie

Pretty traditional, I guess

Old 03-15-10, 10:05 PM
" Next month, I am going to a memorial service for one of my teachers who passed on recently. What is the appropriate style of dress for this? I haven't been to a funeral or anything like that in 20 years so I would appreciate some pointers. It will be strange seeing childhood friends for the first time in 18 years."

The appropriate dress is whatever you are wearing!
Are you there to impress the living or make peace with the impact that the deceased had on your life?

I have never been to a memorial service, wake or funeral. The only one of those events I will attend is mine.

I refuse to make time for living in the past.

Old 03-16-10, 04:09 AM
I believe it was a line from one of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band songs: " Gravestones cheer the living, dear, they're no use to the dead"

Old 03-18-10, 12:25 AM
I wear kahki pants (with a crease, not the baggy type, dockers, haggards etc) and a long sleeve dress shirt wiht a button down collar, black shoes to everything and am never under or over dressed. I did corporate sales and trade shows in the same outfit. If I really want to dress up, I wear a tie and if its crazy, I'll wear a sportscoat.

Old 04-11-10, 01:42 PM
The service went okay yesterday. Wore Kahakis and a dress shirt. Would have stayed for lunch and reminsicing, but I couldn't eat due to the timing of the antibiotics I am on for an infected tooth.

Going to a dental college this week to get my teeth fixed. this might be a good idea, because the last time I had a dental cleaning, Ronald Reagan was still in the White House. My parents fudged the school forms when I was a kid, never had dental insurance and I have a phobia of dentists.

Old 04-11-10, 02:34 PM
You need to find a dentist like mine, hot thirty-something woman. She's also a top rated dentist along with several other degrees.

Old 04-12-10, 04:16 AM
NE, you were like me. My wife insisted on me getting a physical. Did the blood work and went in to see the Dr. He is my "owie" doctor. He asked when I had my last physical. I told him 1968 draft physical. BUT, for 61 years old he said whatever I was doing to keep doing it, as everything was in line.

Search this Thread