Stuck Throttle......

Old 03-12-10, 02:02 PM
Stuck Throttle......

It amazes me how little people actually know about their cars yet they trustingly get in them and drive them everyday.

With all of the stories about runaway Toyota's I can't help but ask myself......"Self, Why didn't those people just shift out of D an into N......?"

The modern automobile is an extremely complex and powerfull machine dressed in pretty clothes.

I wonder how many people know that accellerator pedals no longer have a physical link to the throttle control and that the computer tells the engine what to do based on signals not only from the operator but many other sources of input.
Any one of these signals could supply bad information at any time and the vehicle responds regardless of what the operator desires.

My '01 Cheverolet Malibu would get a runaway throttle several times a day and no one ever figured out why.
Fortunately I knew how to handle it and I know GM knows about this problem but Toyota gets the bad press.

My wife made an interesting comment today......she said "These cars are like Terminators".

That's what you get when you marry semiconductors with machinery.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-10, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I had an eye opening experience this week. I found a really good 2007 Volvo S40 with low mileage for a nice price, so since I needed a car to drive instead of the 3500 Ram dually, I bought it. The guy who owned the place only deals in Volvos and refurbishes older ones.
He told me of an accident where a person was killed in a head on collision with a guardrail. He bought the car as junk for the rear clip. A couple of days later about 7 people came to his lot and were looking over the car. He asked and found out they were from Sweden with Volvo. They stated they could not understand why there was a fatality in their car. They were deeply concerned and spent 2 weeks looking it over and taking measurements, so they could go back and refine their safety procedures.
Can you see GM, Ford or Chrysler doing that???

Old 03-20-10, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I had an eye opening experience this week. I found a really good 2007 Volvo S40 with low mileage for a nice price, so since I needed a car to drive instead of the 3500 Ram dually, I bought it. The guy who owned the place only deals in Volvos and refurbishes older ones.
He told me of an accident where a person was killed in a head on collision with a guardrail. He bought the car as junk for the rear clip. A couple of days later about 7 people came to his lot and were looking over the car. He asked and found out they were from Sweden with Volvo. They stated they could not understand why there was a fatality in their car. They were deeply concerned and spent 2 weeks looking it over and taking measurements, so they could go back and refine their safety procedures.
Can you see GM, Ford or Chrysler doing that???
I can't see any company doing that! That sounds like Volvo is saying there has never been a fatility in a Volvo!!!
Sounds a little like sales talk.

Old 03-20-10, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, they didn't indicate that, at all. They were just concerned with modern technology failure. You build cars with crumple zones, air bags, air curtains, all to absorb shock and take damage away from the occupants, and it fails, I can see why they would want to tweak things. There was no sales "talk". I had already decided to get the car.

Old 03-23-10, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I found a really good 2007 Volvo S40 with low mileage for a nice price, so since I needed a car to drive instead of the 3500 Ram dually, I bought it
Recession? What recession!

I was in Long Beach CA back around Valentines day. Bars were FULL, restraunts were FULL. It was happening.

Then went to San Diego, Phoenix and Vegas. Things are bustling. REal Estate was going nuts.

They say US is in recession but the casual visitor sure doesn't see it.

Last edited by mjd2k; 03-23-10 at 12:46 AM.