Battery problem I can't understand??

Old 03-22-10, 11:33 AM
Battery problem I can't understand??

I have 6 new flashlight "D" batteries. All 6 batteries check to have 1.556 volts each.
No combination of any two batteries will even make a "working" flashlight work!
I finally gave up and reinstalled to old batteries, 1.455volts, in the flashlight and continued my work.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-10, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Are they rechargeable? Or std alkaline?

Other than that..all I can imagine is they have dirty terminals/contacts.

Old 03-22-10, 12:27 PM
Group Moderator
Your not measuring them under load.

Old 03-22-10, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Your not measuring them under load.
What would be the purpose of measuring under load??
I checked all 6 new batteries and the two "low" batteries, exactly the same way., with a Fluke meter. I even checked their polarity!
This is a VERY REDICULOUS situation and, out of curosity, I took the batteries out of a different flashlight and none of the new batteries would work
Since these batteries are made in Communist China--Who Knows---I will return them to Chinamart for a refund

Old 03-22-10, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
I think ray was saying what I was thinking....the batteries only have a "surface charge". Any load probably drops it below the threshold of lighting the bulb.

Thats why I asked about the rechargeable thing...you see it quite often with them.

Never saw it with regular carbon zinc or alkaline...but guess its possible.

Old 03-22-10, 01:00 PM
Hi Giles, they have the answer, but I wanted to expand on why you are reading a voltage, yet the flashlight will not work. Without a load, the chemicals in the battery can still produce enough of a charge to register as full voltage. But as you try to use that voltage, draw off current, it quickly runs out and can no longer maintain the voltage reading you saw. It is the battery's ability to deliver the necessary current under load that determines if it is good or bad. And boy do I agree with you on Chinamart junk.

Bud

Old 03-22-10, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Hi Giles, they have the answer, but I wanted to expand on why you are reading a voltage, yet the flashlight will not work. Without a load, the chemicals in the battery can still produce enough of a charge to register as full voltage. But as you try to use that voltage, draw off current, it quickly runs out and can no longer maintain the voltage reading you saw. It is the battery's ability to deliver the necessary current under load that determines if it is good or bad. And boy do I agree with you on Chinamart junk.

Bud
Well---I think I understant the voltage situation, but it just seems to me that a slight flicker or dim light would happen for a second or so when they are installed and then turned on.

Old 03-22-10, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Nope....sometimes you get nothing......'trons can do what they do pretty darn fast.

Old 03-22-10, 08:04 PM
Well---I am 64 years and, thanks to people like you, I learn something every day. I would have never dreamed this would be the cause. THANKS for the explaination.

Old 03-22-10, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Battery checkers as opposed to volt meters actually have a built in load.

Old 03-23-10, 12:41 AM
Trouble shooting 101.

Forget the voltmeter, put the new batteries in another device

They have either expired or you have dirty terminals or loose connections. or a flippy bulb or switch.

Or just say *[email protected]!-it and buy a new $3.00 flashllight with batteries included.

Now, if you have an issue with Chinese stuff..............well, thats another post

Search this Thread