NONE---Doityourself people???

Old 03-31-10, 10:22 AM
NONE---Doityourself people???

One would be amazed at the number of people who can't make simple repairs.
I have several friends, and relatives, who can't, or won't, change a washer in a faucet.
How do people survive in todays world, paying or begging to get a simple jobe done?
About two months ago, I was at a friend's house, and saw a large toaster oven at his garbage can. I asked him what was wrong with it and he stated that it was more "ChinaMart" junk. He said I could have it and when I got home, I took it apart and found that the manufacturer implimented a smaller wire to serve as a fuse. After some alterations, I installed a cap type fuse holder and made it possible to change the 10 amp fuse from the outside.
Cheaper to have a "wire link" fuse then to have a changable fuse.
It is still working ok.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-10, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For all the diyers out there, there must be even more folks that don't have a clue...... but without them, there would be a lot less service type jobs available

And then there are those [like my wife] that would rather have some brand new junk [but it's new and shiny ] than something built right that shows signs of wear.

Old 03-31-10, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
One would be amazed at the number of people who can't make simple repairs.
I have several friends, and relatives, who can't, or won't, .......
I think there is an intimidation factor, a lot of times. They might figure that if it was that easy that they could do the job themselves - then what is with those guys who show up with the nice shirt and name tag and have the van with all the tools and ladders and that tube filled with ? strapped on the roof?

And we all know that electricity can kill. And we all know that one wrong twist of a plumbing pipe and the house can flood. And trying to tear apart something like a dryer to fix something?: Why, there is no way! How can someone possibly know what to do, or even where to start? Wouldn't that job require say the Maytag repairman? A refrigerator with that refrigerant and hidden parts and things that hum and spin? No way. Furnaces? Forget it. (Re-read first paragraph). Etc., etc.

So there is this defeatest attitude before they even make an attempt. Many such people maybe should have or should read that book called, "The Little Train that Could".

But then again, everyone in this life maybe was given a purpose in life. A mind and body seemingly made to do, and to like to do, certain things. Some people are not the tool-type people. Yet they are quite smart and adept at doing things the tool-type people either don't want to do, or they themselves cannot imagine being able to do. Take me: I can't see myself say being a trial lawyer, or a policeman, or a Congressman, or a TV anchor, or......I could go on and on and on, with jobs I would feel like a fish out of water as.

Old 03-31-10, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Back in the dark ages the girls in Jr. High took home-ec. That got them up to speed on everything gentle gender needed to know to keep the man of the house happy. Well gee times have changed and I think they need a new mandatory class for both girls and boys. Call it Home-tech. It would teach everything from how to to do basic cooking to laundry to house cleaning to basic plumbing to basic electrical to basic carpentry to basic auto mechanics to how to read the instructions from Ikea. Really give the kids a good grounding in surviving real life.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-31-10 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 05:50 PM
Ray,

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I got a good thing going here!

Besides that - Wouldn't that then sort of demean the trades?, to make them seem less skillful than they are currently considered to be? As in - anybody can do that sort of thing? Wouldn't that be a blow to our ego? Would the skilled tech feel like he was much of a "tech", if when he went to soemones house to fix something, the howeowner or renter would say, "Ya, I was thinking that that is what was wrong, and then tell the tech how he should go about fixing it?
I had another maintenance man call me today who wants to meet me so I can teach him how to fix a fridge. Hmmmm. I learned on MY own and get those jobs he wants to learn, so he then can take my place?, as we both work for the same landlord? Hmmmm. Not liking that idea too much. Any comments about this, folks?

Would you want to say teach another guy all you know, so he can get the jobs when that is sort of YOUR specialty?, and he currently has specialized in other things for the landlord? Is that really fair to me? After I spent years learning stuff on my own?

Last edited by ecman51; 03-31-10 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added more
Old 04-02-10, 02:01 AM
As I like to say "Depends"

My criteria for a DIY job are.

- Time/effort vs expense/inconvienence. If a tenant has a leaky faucet, I might show up with a complete new faucet for $60.00 and just replace the exisiting even if its just a washer rather than go to HD, buy a cartridge, washer etc only to find out that they don't work and have my tenant out of water while I spend the day driving around looking for the right $2.00 part. I have learned to not do anymore plumbing than neccesary. Wiggle an old metal drain too much and you could be spending the day replacing the sink drain or tearing out a wall to replace the pipe back to the stack. Sounds lazy but it works for me!

- Is the "code" way to do something based upon the "once in a lifetime chance" that something might go wrong. Or is it OK to do a task in a manner that makes sense 999 times out of a thousand even though it may be not be code. I.E building a deck with 16 inces more beam span than code allows.

I DIY to save money or provide better service. I have paid to change a dryer belt but have changed some myself. Depends on how much time I have.

Last edited by mjd2k; 04-02-10 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 02:14 PM
Some people can't, some people should never touch a tool. I have made a fair living from those people. And often answer calls from those that tried and should not.

Old 04-02-10, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bill, that's a fact!! Between my place and the school house where our grandson goes is an older house and the owner [I assume] likes to work on old cars. A few years ago he started a garage. Foundation appeared to be 2 course high, then he erected 2x4 walls but they looked to be on 4' centers Then he started with the truss's. I drove by one day and it was all gone.

Sometime after that he built onto the back of the house [walk out basement?] He blocked up the walls and installed a flat roof covered with tar paper. Here recently he installed truss's over the flat roof - bottom of the truss was attached to the flat roof decking......

Old 04-11-10, 04:22 AM
When I was growing up my Dad taught me something about the trade thing. He was a very well known and successful mechanic (now they are techs). Anyhow when I got my first car, being around cars and garages all my life I wanted to start messing with it, having a better understanding than most but still not knowing what I was doing, he let me do it and he told me
"just go ahead mess with it I love it when people mess it up and then bring it to me to fix I make alot of money this way"
But now I am a DIYer "jack of all trades and master of none" so people tell me.
If I am not sure I use the power of the internet to find out, saves money on all the books

Old 05-06-10, 11:03 AM
ray2047, I think you are right on track! My 11yo is an Ikea ninja, but I think I'll use your suggestions as the start of a home-ed checklist. Thanks!

Old 05-06-10, 04:30 PM
When my son was in his mid teens, I "hired" him to help me on a job. Afterwards, I paid him, basically splitting the labor because it wasn't anything big. He, likewise, would hit his head with a hammer if left to his own devices, poor thing. He looked at me and said something like, "you make that kind of money doing this??" I told him it was my experience and willingness to do it, and the customer's lack of the same that parts them with their money. He's in his 40's now, and occasionally will ask if I need any "help".

Search this Thread