Feds: Homes with Chinese drywall must be gutted

Old 04-02-10, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Feds: Homes with Chinese drywall must be gutted

By CAIN BURDEAU (AP) 6 hours ago

NEW ORLEANS Thousands of U.S. homes tainted by Chinese drywall should be completely gutted, according to new guidelines released Friday by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The guidelines say electrical wiring, outlets, circuit breakers, fire alarm systems, carbon monoxide alarms, fire sprinklers, gas pipes and drywall need to be removed.
Continued at: The Associated Press: Feds: Homes with Chinese drywall must be gutted

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-10, 04:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ray, I read that on a ticker earlier. Are you really, I mean REALLY surprised? The Chinese have already tried to poison our kids with dangerous toys, and consistently export stuff to our country that we can't even produce domestically because of health dangers.
But there is a bright side. The jobless rate should go down because of the increase in jobs to do this work, and the best thing, China should be made to pay for it, which should reduce our debt to them. I think the importers of this crap should be forced to pay for part of it mainly as punitive damages. We have top notch sheetrock manufacturers here in the states that need the work, and we should draw from domestic supplies first, and import when there is absolutely no domestic source...like coffee or coconuts or chocolate.

Old 04-03-10, 07:54 AM
When are the people of this country going to WAKE UP?
If a person cares, and wants to support their own country, they can find AMERICAN made products.
I just purchased four freeze proof faucets that are american made but I had to check with three stores. They were priced only slightly higher then COMMUNIST CHINA JUNK!
About five years ago, I ran a gas line in my home. I bought the black iron pipe and threaded for about nine connections. I went to Lowes and purchased the fittings (Big Mistake) because they were made in CHINA.
Pressure checked after assembly and SEVEN of the connections leaked! I talked to a certified plumber and he said the threads were inferior with Chinese fittings and advised me to buy American made and repair. I did as he suggested and I had no leaks.
That was a real wake up for me

Old 04-03-10, 08:25 AM
It is just a case of dumb "Buyer Beware".

If you by at the wrong places and don't pay attention to quality, you are taking risks. Where were the U.S. standards and enforcement of them?

In China, they had some bad infant formula materials that killed some Chinese children. Some unscrupulous dealers and shippers sold them in the U.S. even though it was known they were bad. - The Chines manufacturing executives were executed within weeks because Chinese citizens died. The importers/exporters/dealers and the American distributors and formula manufacturers could not be punished since they were not Chinese citizens. I don't know if charges in the U.S. were made or if they are still hung up in the U.S. courts.

The world is a big place and does not revolve around the U.S. since it is lagging behind in the economy and education (currently 15th and sinking). You can't expect the U.S. government and promises to protect you from every mistake or lack of control between/before the cradle to the grave.

Dick

Old 04-03-10, 10:07 AM
My 3/8ths drive Taiwan socket ratchet has withstood an at least 4 foot cheater pipe on it used to create a giant torque wrench, without breaking the ratchet. And that cheater pipe WAS necessary, in case you might think the nut would have rotated without it. No it would not. Very impressed with the quality of that socket set!

BTW - can these posts be read in China? I thought we weren't supposed to say bad things about people here. Especially since these people are who are keeping this country afloat, right now.

Old 04-03-10, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=ecman51`;1713571]My 3/8ths drive Taiwan socket ratchet has withstood an at least 4 foot cheater pipe on it used to create a giant torque wrench, without breaking the ratchet. And that cheater pipe WAS necessary, in case you might think the nut would have rotated without it. No it would not. Very impressed with the quality of that socket set!

BTW - can these posts be read in China? I thought we weren't supposed to say bad things about people here. Especially since these people are who are keeping this country afloat, right now. [/QUO

First Positive commint I have read about Chinese products in a very long time.

Old 04-03-10, 11:01 AM
Giles -

If you bought a cheap Chines violin, since they are the largest producer of that type, you could get mixed opinions based on the background of the customers using them. They are usually the cheapest and made using U.S., Russian or SE Asian wood imports.

If you bought an expensive violin, you would hear comments from experienced people that have used quality instruments. China is the largest supplier of quality violins and only old Chinese Spruce is used as a material, since wood is scarce in China. - That is why they build using concrete and masonry and not wood for permanent housing.

Dick

Old 04-03-10, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Taiwan does not consider itself a part of China and IIRC has an army to stop China from taking it over.

Old 04-03-10, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Taiwan does not consider itself a part of China and IIRC has an army to stop China from taking it over.

My point still stands though. That "Made in Taiwan" seal was not considered to mean high quality. In fact, when I bought my socket set at a nationally known chain hardware store, (when I expressed skeptism) the owner told me that there are a couple grades of steel used in products that come from Taiwan. One grade was used to sell those 119 piece socket sets, like at flea markets, for $9.95. The other grade was for the higher priced 14 piece set(or whatever) like the one I bought. I have actually owned some of those cheap sockets, in the past. The insides round off. And if you use say the 3/8ths x 1/4 adapter, the 1/4 inch peg twists around right in a circle.

Old 04-03-10, 03:53 PM
That's why I buy nothing but Craftsman tools. From what I've read some of their stuff is now made overseas but it must meet their standards.

I'd rather see it all made here at home but what can you do?

Old 04-03-10, 05:51 PM
What it all really boils down to is that there is much more profit made from foreign made items.
A few years ago, I built a large barn with all American products. The hardware and building supply store knew I wanted American because I had expressed the same to the owner. When I started installing the metal roof, my son said that the screws were made in Tiawan. I took them back and asked if he had American screws. He went to the back and brought out the same size box that was from U S Steel. I asked what the difference in price was and he said they were the same.
Go figure!

Old 04-03-10, 06:48 PM
Being priced the same doesn't reflect the profit margin to the producer, the distributor, or the retailer.

Products are made in different areas of the world for a million different reasons.

It isn't only because the labor is cheaper. As companies sell more and more product (or services) their markets grow. They grow globally as well, not just nationally. Global economics is a very complex business with considerations having to be made politically as well as economically.

Just as the Supermarket chain who plans on building a store in the inner city would expect tax exemptions for "x" amount of years from the city where it is building (because of the amount of jobs it may provide), so do countries expect American (and other countries) companies to open manufacturing facilities in order to even get the licensing or permission to sell their wares inside emerging markets.

I watched a video that completely explains the U.S.'s issues with it's economy. The history, what we are facing now, and what we can expect to face in the future. It was the most eye opening video I have seen on economics and our national debt. I'm an educated guy (B.S. in finance) but never looked at it this way.

You can watch it here if you wish.

I don't know if posting that link is legal or not so if it isn't, no harm in taking it down.

I'm a conservative guy (Republican) but this mess is misunderstood by both sides, and until THAT is remedied, we're going to have a rough time. It's just not as simple as buying American.

Old 04-03-10, 07:33 PM
riggstad---I watched ther video--very informative. I especially liked the part about "Leadership". How true that is

Do you think the owner of this privately owned company paid close to the same price for the Tiawan screws that he paid for the American ones? If you do, could you please explain?

Old 04-03-10, 09:20 PM
Most likely the private owner (I assume you mean the retailer) purchased the American nails for the same price he purchased the Taiwanese nails.

I make that assumption off of the fact that they were sold for the same price. The retailer will generally try to make the same margin off of like products. They have way too many things to worry about than micro manage profit margins off of line items within any specified category.

If in fact the Taiwanese were made more cheaply, therefore allowing a greater margin for the manufacturer, you have several things to consider.

First, the American company may or may not sell a whole bunch of "nails" on the retail side. Because of the cost and subsequent retail price, they may opt to just sell them to the wholesale market. If that is the case, and they are a large enough brand, they will still sell them in the retail market and take a loss if need be just to keep market share.

Here's an example: Frito Lay makes Lays potato chips AND Doritos/ Tostitos (among other things).

For every dollar they sell of potato products, they earn less than a penny. Potato's are very expensive to grow, harvest, and even prepare. There is a lot of waste.

For every dollar they sell of Doritos/ Tostitos (or corn products) they earn just about .87 cents.

That is a huge margin. They continue to sell potato products for one important reason... to retain Market share.

On a product so common as nails (which most likely doesn't provide a huge margin anyway) the retailer is not going to carry more than one brand unless of course one specific brand offers a completely different value prop and is actively sought after by consumers. The fact that this retailer actually had two different types (domestic and foreign) could be for a multitude of reasons which we can't know the reason for.

Could be he had a couple of free cases sent to him because he purchased X amount of something else that the manufacturer was selling. That becomes 100% profit if that's tybe he does the case.

Old 04-04-10, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Getting back to Ray's original post I'm not sure there were any real choices when those houses were built using chinese drywall. It's my understanding because of the building boom [due to storm damage] there was a shortage of drywall made on this continent and what builder would want to tell his customer they would have to wait even longer to have a home again....... and I'm sure none of the builders had a clue about the problems that have surfaced from the use of chinese drywall.

I remember back 25-30 yrs ago when they started using recycled paper with drywall production, we had to start using an oil base primer to keep a red tint from staining thru the paint It was rumored that it was cause by recycled Christmas paper although I never heard that confirmed.... and it only took a few months for the drywall producers to fix the issue

Old 04-04-10, 12:37 PM
I knew that the financial outlook for this country is bad, after seeing the video, I found that it is a LOT WORSE than I thought.

Old 04-04-10, 01:22 PM
Question When will America get fair chance to compete?

Hopefully all of this imported junk from China will have a silver lining for U.S. manufacturers as more U.S. consumers start thinking about quality over cheap prices. Maybe now investors might want to invest in American manufacturing plants, if only we could get Big Gov and Greedy Unions out of the way maybe this country could start creating some real jobs! Of course I wont hold my breath.

Old 04-04-10, 01:57 PM
Dear Mr Concrete Masonry..So, let me get this straight the Chinese import killer baby formula and you say "buyer beware"!? The Chinese have a terrible track record of sending us cheap dangerous inferior products and you say the "Gov cant protect you from cradle to grave"!? Yet our wonderful Big Bro Gov regulates just about every single product and aspect of our life's, Just try starting up up a business or try running one and I guarantee you will see how Gov has its nose in every thing you do all under the guise of safety! Try building something or producing a product in this country without Big Gov breathing down your back!
Then you have the nerve to say the U.S. is lagging behind in education and economy? Gee I wonder why? Maybe if Gov would let the private sector do what it does best and create jobs by allowing us to compete on a level playing field without being over taxed and regulated we wouldn't have to kiss China's behind and allow them to flood our markets with dangerous junk.

Last edited by redrum123; 04-04-10 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread