Maybe the solution is us.

Old 04-03-10, 05:20 PM
Maybe the solution is us.

Made in USA

We have always been a nation empowered by its people, so why are we waiting for our politicians to solve our problems. I'm reading Ray's thread on imported drywall and I see the often used phrase, buy American. But do we really stop to think what that means and what it could do? If our government and politicians start messing around with import duties, quotas, and other trade issues, the WTO would have a fit. But if we as consumers simply made it a practice to buy "made in America" the imports would go away and the jobs would come back. Yes, it would be that simple. Sure, it would take time, as we have simply lost the capacity to make so many products ourselves and the jobs that go with them.

Contemplate the snowball effect. Right now, 2010, everyone in America starts shifting their purchases to American made products and services. Imports would slow, USA manufacturing would increase, more jobs, more businesses, more factories, unemployment would drop, the stock market would go wild, and Americans would know that they had buckled down and solved their own problem.

Americans, you and I, have the power and the opportunity to fix our problems and we won't have to borrow a dime. Now I find that stimulating!

So what's going into your garage next?

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-10, 04:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We do have to be conscious of what we buy and where it is made. I only buy American made work boots. All you have to do is google that phrase, and viola you have a list of them. I didn't realize there were that many left. My wife is a nurse and just bought a pair of Klogs brand shoes. Not only were the made in the USA, but they were affordable, and comfortable. So much that she has seen a difference in the amount of transmitted shock to her knees and back.
Sam Walton would turn over in his grave if he knew his company abandoned his "made in the USA" motto. Just try and find an American product in their store. Good luck.
Probably like you, I turn over everything I buy to see where it is made. We gotta get back our pride.

Old 04-04-10, 11:06 AM
About 6 months ago, I had $9K worth of floring installed in my home. I had to search to find a dealer that had American made products.
I live in N.W. Alabama and there is a large local floor tile manufacturer where this product is made.
I asked the retail store for American made products and he stated that "These are locally manufactured".
After sighning for installation, I asked the store owner if very many people asked for American made. He stated that one in twenty will ask.
There is the problem ---MOST PEOPLE DON'T CARE

Old 04-04-10, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think economics plays a big part. I prefer to buy american but when there is a big price difference - sometimes the pocket book has to rule

Old 04-04-10, 11:58 AM
All to true!! Seems to be definitely the case in a recession.

Old 04-05-10, 01:35 PM
So what you're saying is, as long as the imports are less expensive and reasonable in quality, Americans are going to buy them. But what about the hidden cost? Every time we purchase an American made product, that money gets circulated back into the economy several times before the government eats it up in taxes. And those tax revenues help to offset what we would otherwise have to pay in income tax. So, in theory, every dime of an American Made Product, stays in America. Well, if those are benefits to buying American, then a similar amount must be the cost of buying an imported item. So, if everyone in America is having to pay a price for every imported product, that amount should become an added cost of the product, paid by the person buying the product. No more free ride for imports that are constantly shifting the hidden cost of the products to everyone else but the purchaser.

Call it a balance of trade fee, but let the economists calculate what every import is actually costing the American economy and add that to the price of the product. Then, we would all see what those products are doing to our economy, and the process of reducing our balance of trade deficit would take care of itself.

Before you say you don't like it, I don't like it, but the question is, would it stop/slow the flood of imports, the flow of American dollars out of the country and bring back American jobs?

Bud

Old 04-05-10, 01:57 PM
If you look inside an American car, I would not be the least bit surprised to see some foriegn made parts inside of it. For example, some of the old Plymouth Omnis had VW engines in them.

Old 04-05-10, 02:24 PM
NE, odd that you should mention that. I noted on my K1500 Chevy truck that most of the parts had the proud sticker of Made in Korea, Made in China, Made in Belguim, Made in Mexico on almost all the engine compartment parts. I owned a Nissan hardbody pu truck and all the parts were Made in America. I thought it odd when passing a GM plant parking lot that had the sign, "Only American Made Cars Allowed", did they mean my Nissan???? or their Chevy???

Old 04-05-10, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by chandler
...I thought it odd when passing a GM plant parking lot that had the sign, "Only American Made Cars Allowed", did they mean my Nissan???? or their Chevy???
The sign was meant to obscure your view of the receiving dock.

My plant in Chicago has brought back this policy. Foreign cars have to be parked way out in spillover. Or be towed. I argued against this point with our union chairman though 'cause it's more puffery than practical. My worry at the time was that the local union was settling for silly agreements that had nothing to do with job security and were just there for appearances... The truck full of windshield wipers made in Mexico doesn't have to park with the foreign cars. Stupid.

But I definitely agree with the OP. As Bud9051 stated -the politicians may meet strong resistance from the World Trade Organization and be dismissed for attempting what surely would be seen as feeble and indefensible actions, but perhaps this is an example where it's not the representatives who have the leverage in this issue. And perhaps it doesn't have to take a monumental effort to make a noticeable difference.