Interesting cell phone fact

Old 04-04-10, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Interesting cell phone fact

i am surprised that my cell phone still works. I have been paying the monthly bills, but the 2 year contract expired a week and a half ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-10, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Why are you surprised? Either your contract automatically extended by a certain time (1 yr, 2 yr, etc)..or you went to a month to month. Might want to read your original closely...could be in there.

Old 04-04-10, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
I often let my contract go past the 2 year point. It'll keep going as long as you pay your bill, cuz they don't want to lose you as a customer. The only thing signing a new contract seems to do, is get you a new phone cheaper or free.

Old 04-04-10, 06:27 PM
TY that was my first contract. I want to keep the number because I am lousy with phone numbers.

Old 04-04-10, 06:47 PM
I like the phone I have now since it is just the right size to fit in the change pocket in my jeans. The only regret I have about it is that it isn't bluetooth adaptable. My state is one of the stupid ones that says you can't talk on the phone and drive at the same time. I never have a problem doing it in neighboring states that don't have this law. I agree with the ban on texting and driving, though. Saw a picture of a guy texting and driving after he hit a semi head on. His hips were about 6 feet from his ribs. BTW, the cell network that starts with V has free incoming text blocking which I love. I am text-challenged.

Old 04-04-10, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can change vendors and still keep the same number.

Keeping Your Telephone Number When You Change Your Service Provider

Old 04-05-10, 11:21 AM
No problems with service, only 1 deadspot I know of as opposed to the one with the comedian pitching their product which has more dead zones in my area than I can count in an hour.

Old 04-05-10, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
texting

I know I'm probably just an old fogey but I agree with the ban on texting and driving! For the live of me I can't figure out how anyone could text and drive. I doubt I could text and sit, stand or even when laying down I have a hard enough time with the little buttons on cell phones, maybe I'm just all thumbs but it's hard enough to hit one button at a time on most cell phones

Old 04-05-10, 05:10 PM
Mark, I'm 35 and couldn't accurately text if someone pointed a gun at my head even while doing nothing else. I have no problem with the texting ban, just the talking ban. I always thought if someone can't call and speak to me, I might not want to talk to them.

Old 04-06-10, 03:31 AM
I use bluetooth almost all day. Driving, safer. On site, less trouble. I bought one of the Military Spec phones last time my contract was up, thinking it would survive 2 years on construction sites. It is a tough phone and would survive a hurricane, but the manufacturer skipped certain features I need like voice dialing. What's more, it is a clamshell, it has a front screen that remains lit with the clock for about 5 seconds then goes off. You cannot excite the clock without opening the clamshell. Well, if I have to open it to see the clock, why have the outside screen? Makes no sense to me.
Finally bought one off Ebay with all the features I want, swapped sim cards and am rolling again.
This one has a QWERTY keyboard, but I still have to be standing still leaning up against something to text, sorry.

Old 04-06-10, 11:56 AM
If a texter and a non-texter got married without each other being aware of different beliefs, is that grounds for divorce? J/K

Old 04-07-10, 04:12 AM
Depends on which one is driving.

Old 04-08-10, 12:45 AM
Talking on the phone and driving is distracting. I did it for years but now we have a ban. Went through a couple lights etc. Just lucky I never killed anyone.

I can txt and drive and have done it. Stupid. Now I have a blueberry and I still don't think its safe to drive and talk even handsfree but I do it. Usually now I just pull over.

Old 04-08-10, 03:59 AM
Blueberry? That's a new one. Had to google it to find out what it was. Maybe Blackberry and Bluetooth got married. Good combination. Kids would have all the good traits, hopefully. My new Motorola Q9h is about the same size. Didn't like the width of the Blackberry.
I pass an electrician friend of mine more than a few times a day on the road. I have never, never NOT seen him with his phone to his ear. Wonder what plan he has?

Old 04-08-10, 10:09 PM
I used to accidentally say it but now I notice how clever I sound saying BlueBerry. Its Blackberry and Bluetooth. Oh well.....I'm easily amused by myself.

Old 04-09-10, 03:27 AM
Happens to the best of us MJ.

Old 04-09-10, 04:42 AM
But t here IS a Blueberry phone. I just had never heard of it. I'm like you I thought it was a misspoken Blackberry moment.
Now as far as bluetooth, the Jawbone II can't be beat for sound quality. I don't particularly like the way it fits the ear, but in a construction zone with a lot of noise, the person on the other end cannot hear anything but your voice. No extraneous sounds since it had no "microphone", but a probe that must touch your jaw. Must pick up vibrations in your jaw and transmit them. I have reverted to my Plantronics because the weight is on the back of the ear and doesn't tend to fall off when you bend over.
I am definitely an advocate of handsfree talking while driving.

Old 04-16-10, 11:15 AM
Got a letter in the mail from my carrier. If I renew my contract, I will get $25 off next month's bill. Tempting....

Old 08-30-10, 02:03 PM
If I call an 800 #, Verizon will give me a FREE month of service if I agree to a new 2 year contract. I am waiting until I meet my special one so we can do the friends and family plan.

Old 08-30-10, 05:24 PM
With AT&T, when you renew your contract, you get to keep your same calling plan and get to acquire a new phone for free or a nominal charge. New phone is worth more than $25. Month's service can't be much more than $60 including all the Federal taxes. Not a good deal. Hold out for a better offering.

Old 09-01-10, 04:38 PM
My monthly fee is $45 or so. I do have a $50 upgrade if I want another contract.

Old 09-01-10, 07:58 PM
I just paid my bill with the big V. $25.74 of which $5.74 was fees, surcharges and taxes. They included a flyer wanting me to get a new phone, cost was as low as free to a high of something (I forget) with a new two-year commitment. I have no need or desire for a new phone so I am on a month-to-month plan. Last time I got a new phone was about six or seven years ago.

Old 09-01-10, 08:33 PM
I have had T-Mobile for for about 7 years and lived at the same home for 5 years. Recently, I had had a lot of people not getting to me or not being able to use the phone from the same location in the house since I moved in.

I tried the new "improved" phones 3 times and returned and made sure the contract was not extended since I wanted month-to-month for flexibility. When returning my last of the 3 phones, I grabbed my very old phone and asked if this would work. The guy explained that the new towers are designed for increased speed and features and phones, but the coverage area is reduced and signals can fall off, some more towers ar needed. I get 0 to 1 bars in the house, 1-2 outside and maximum strength 3 blocks away. My wife can be upstairs and not get me when I am working in my office. The guy immediately recognized the phone and referred to as a classic "brick" that would be better for my location or marginal sites.

I am using my old "friend" that works as well as before, but is a little more difficult without the bells and whistles I do not need since I no longer have a land line. I am looking at other options for service to get a "hands-on" experience before switching.

Dick

Old 09-02-10, 07:11 AM
when you do renew your services do it online I was able to get a much better deal myself online then what the CSR at the Verizon store offered

For example I wanted the Motorola Droid and I was told by the CSR I would have to write a check on the spot for the phone , it couldn't be put on the Billl and the rebate would be mailed

Online the rebate was applied instantly and the phone was just billed to the account the CSR told me I couldnt keep my plan becosue it was no longer offred Onlie I did

I spent 15 -20 hours online getting all the ducks in a row but it was worth it

Old 09-02-10, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"I spent 15 -20 hours online getting all the ducks in a row but it was worth it"

I'm not sure I spend that much time on the phone in a whole year

Wasn't crazy about using a phone before I retired but you can't run a business without one

With the exception of the wife and kids - I doubt I'd have 15-20 minutes phone use per year

Old 09-02-10, 09:30 AM
I got rid of my cell phone when I retired. I also removed my watch. I don't miss either.

Cell phones are great on the job. For personal use they are more of a annoyance than anything else.

"I doubt I'd have 15-20 minutes phone use per year ".

Mark - You may have me beat.

Old 09-02-10, 11:00 AM
in porting my business line to a extra cell line and reworking my plan I am paying 100 a month less for phone service than I was a year ago

my current bill is 120 a month

so 100 a month savings since feb =100x6 =600 divide that by 20 and I made 30 a hour and the savings will keep going

I just looked and I have 700 min this month , my plan gives me 1000

Old 09-02-10, 12:16 PM
I haven't wound my watch but maybe once or twice since about a year before retiring and that was only because I wanted to use the stop watch function.

When I moved into my present home, almost ten years ago I didn't get a land-line telephone but relied on my cellular telephone. With towers only a few blocks away I get exceptional service. About a month before retiring I did get a land-line for Internet service but because of problems with the local exchange and the free ISP I had been using from a different location it didn't work so I discontinued that land-line service after about 45 days. I used the television cable company for an ISP for several years until big V. installed a fiber optic network in my neighborhood. When I switched I stupidly agreed to a two-year contract including voice services. I had so many "junk" calls on that line I ended up turning off the ringer and using it only for outgoing calls. I finally stopped service on that line and went to using the cell and a VoIP exclusively. My cellular plan includes 100 anytime minutes and 200 off peak minutes defined as after 7PM and before 7Am along with all hours on weekends. It is extremely rare that I go over my allotted minutes. My VoIP is outgoing only, 1.9 cents a minute and the $10 I paid a year ago still has about $2.40 credit.

Even though my Internet charge went up by deleting my voice service my overall communication costs are down better than $20 a month and I experience NO problems.

Last edited by Furd; 09-02-10 at 12:39 PM.