Federal regulation over home inspections

Old 04-04-10, 03:47 PM
Federal regulation over home inspections

Has anyone heard that an initiative has basically been passed that will make home inspection a mandatory requirement of the seller? What's more; that the initiative also requires home inspectors to hold a Federally standardized license? I'm hearing that the cost of an inspection will also be federally regulated at around $1500.00.

This could lead to less "fluff" in the assessed value of a given house. BUT that was always supposed to be a role of everthing from building code to the existing method of home inspection was supposed to fulfill.

I just hope that if is is true, it will actually help justify home values. So that only truly valuable well built construction gets valued at the prices we're used to seeing.
And the cheapo builder gets called out by these standards and doesn't get to price his house in the same league.
Otherwise it's just another "looks and sounds like progress to us" maneuver by our federal executives to justify that stupid bailout.

I don't know, I didn't mean to make such a summarization when I don't even know what guarantee or effect the initiative is proposed to even make. All I know is new licensing for home inspectors and new selling costs. Fer what?

Hopefully inspectors will finally have the authority to recommend certain houses should just be bulldozed right off the market!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-10, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hadn't heard of it but it sounds like more 'big brother government'

No offense meant towards the home inspectors that know their stuff but there are more than a few out there that ought to find different employment. My 1st experience with a home inspector was on a new house I was painting. The builder wouldn't allow the inspector to be there at time of walk thru so he did his inspection while I was finishing up the painting. Some items on his report were mine; unpainted drywall repairs [I was still working on them] but the kicker was 'remove oversray from exterior door knobs - he was referring to the paint on the tape I used to cover them up when I sprayed them

Recently the house across the holler got sold. The new owners had a home inspection. The HVAC passed with flying colors - imagine their shock when it turned cold and they found out the heat pump didn't have any heat capabilities - it was just for AC.

Again, I'm not trying to knock all home inspectors but there should be a better way to qualify them and weed out the incompetent.

Old 04-05-10, 11:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Back in the '80's my state doubled the realtor fees to get rid of the deadwood. This might help getg rid of the incompetents.

Old 04-17-10, 08:13 PM
I know it may sound good and have good intentions but anything the fed gets into turns into crap.

Old 04-18-10, 04:17 AM
I agree, Mackey, any time the government messes with something it gets screwed up, costs not only money, but jobs, and the benefits are dubious.
Now, an independent industry regulated "board", similar to electricians, plumbers, etc. would make more sense. Self regulating, but independent. The creation of stricter standards, with standardized forms/areas of need would be a step in the right direction. Having a review board to go over disputed inspections and holding the inspectors to a bond would be another one.

Old 04-18-10, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I
Recently the house across the holler got sold. The new owners had a home inspection. The HVAC passed with flying colors - imagine their shock when it turned cold and they found out the heat pump didn't have any heat capabilities - it was just for AC.
Huh. That kinda doesn't make sense though because the very nature of a heat pump by it's components is that it simply reverses a/c to get heat. If it has the a/c part outside, and the handler inside, it should be able to put out heat, unless it really was not a heat pump, or it was not working, as in - a reversing valve was not working, or it got say around 0 outside or so, and the auxillary heat did not come on.

Old 04-19-10, 04:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The part in the air handler that makes the heat [not just the heat strip] had been removed. The previous owner was a HVAC tech. I guess maybe he took it out to repair a customer's HP before they got divorced and sold the home...... or maybe it was just for AC in a HP package. At any rate the inspector told the buyers the HP was in good working order during his inspection.