New EPA laws for Contractors?

Old 04-08-10, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
New EPA laws for Contractors?

From our local paper (the Kingman Daily Miner)

"According to a report from the Better Business Bureau, the Environmental Protection Agency's "Renovation, Repair and Painting" rule will start being enforced on April 22. The rule, which is designed to limit public exposure to lead paint from building renovations, will require any such renovation company or contractor to first meet specific lead abatement training and certification requirements or be hit with a massive fine for each day they work on the building.
The new rule will apply to any home renovation companies, window replacement contractors, plumbers, electricians, painters, maintenance workers or landlords who perform repairs and renovations on residential buildings constructed prior to 1978, as well as any public and commercial buildings built in the same period that will be regularly accessed by children under the age of 6.
"

http://kingmandailyminer.com/main.as...34&TM=45450.27

How are you working guys dealing with this? Does it mean every single person working in the building..or that at least one person from the company must be trained?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-10, 11:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In my state, I think I heard it is every employee who will be dealing with it but I am not positive.

Old 04-08-10, 03:09 PM
We have a special spot in our landfill area for EPA inspectors and OSHA investigators, and they know it. I don't really think we need the EPA to dictate common sense. I wouldn't work on a house where I knew there was lead paint exposure possibility. I know the ages of most of the houses in our area, and if in question, I always tell the homeowner to have an abatement company take charge before we go in.

Old 04-08-10, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
I am not sure how this will effect us as an electrical contractor. They make it sound like if you touch anything that has lead, you have to hazmat the entire house. It seams pretty ridiculous to me. It reminds me of stories of people shutting down a school because of a broken florescence lamp. This is brought to you by the people who feel the room gets smaller when you put on a new coat of paint!

<---- one more for good measure!

Old 04-09-10, 04:24 AM
This is just another way that goverment is making it harder for the average company to do business. We just had to pay all of our employees to get a OSHA mandated safety course(if working in a goverment job site) costing $89 a person. In the end the customer has to pay for it or they have to do it themselves. When you get down to it, this is just another way the goverment agencies can make more money.

Old 04-09-10, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by hrjrkr View Post
When you get down to it, this is just another way the goverment agencies can make more money.
Unfortunately I think they are going to get the money by issuing fines for the unsuspecting (this was not publicized very well) or those just ignoring the new rules. The fines can be severe and with the gov needing $$ right now I do not want to be the first to test the system.

One person can train and supervise others on site. Does each sub need a certified individual? Not sure. I paid $195 and got certified a few weeks ago. Now I need to get firm certification done for another $300. Under 6 sf disturbance inside or 20 sf outside a pre 78 home does not need to follow RRP rules. All window replacement jobs in pre 78 homes need to follow RRP regs, whether its 1 window or 20.

I have heard that in some areas there are no trainers available.

Bill

Old 04-09-10, 07:56 AM
Group Moderator
This reminds me a bit of a large city I read of maybe 20 years ago that got very strict on lead abatement in old tenements where landlords were barely making a profit. The owners of the apartment buildings just started boarding them up and stopped paying taxes. The city was stuck one huge headache.

I can see some small companies and one-man shops simply refusing any job where they might run afoul of these laws. Then what happens to the poor people who need repairs but live in older houses. Only the big companies will be willing to touch the job but at rates the poor can't afford.

Old 04-09-10, 09:14 AM
With the new health care plan, all the uninsured folks like myself are supposed to get a prmary care doctor. This could be an interesting trick considering the doctor shortage in this country.

Old 04-09-10, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
We have a special spot in our landfill area for EPA inspectors and OSHA investigators, and they know it. I don't really think we need the EPA to dictate common sense. I wouldn't work on a house where I knew there was lead paint exposure possibility. I know the ages of most of the houses in our area, and if in question, I always tell the homeowner to have an abatement company take charge before we go in.
Good for you, Larry. Save your bod.

I have some involuntary muscle twitches(think of that boss? of Inspector Clouseau? ) that I would not doubt are either the result of undiagnosed Lyme's disease, or heavy metal poisoning from peeling exterior paint sanding and cleaning up where there has been lead. I used to sand paint off siding with a grinder with no mask. That is before I heard anything about lead/lead being bad. I've also come out of attics feeling like a human pincushion, from the fiberglass that went straight into my skin - and breathing the stuff (you could see the cloud of it in the air everytime you moved about up there) in an attic with your flashlight. Or the asbestos I likely breathed working on asbestos siding - and unbeknownst to me at the time, from ripping up that old linoleum flooring and that thick tarpaper stuff they had under it. Or tearing out the ceiling covered in mold (not mildew......MOLD) in a flat-roofed motel whose roof was ready to cave in from water damage up there - again with no mask on.

Old 04-09-10, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
With the new health care plan, all the uninsured folks like myself are supposed to get a prmary care doctor. This could be an interesting trick considering the doctor shortage in this country.
But you did not read subsection 3C, Paragraph 123.009, that states you MUST (under penalty of law, overseen by same agency that prosecutes in case you tear that label off your mattress) eat 1 banana and 2 apples a day, to keep the doctor away - in order to reach their projected goals that only 27% of people then will ever need medical care - and the remaining 73% will simply keel over dead instantly, saving taxpayers lots of money in the end.

J/K

Old 04-09-10, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Since this is the DIY forum what about homeowners? They can change out their own windows, trim and whatever without training or following ANY rules. No HEPA filter vac, no hazmat suits. Yeah, they just want the money,

Did I mention !

Old 04-11-10, 01:32 PM
Ec, bougt a new memory foam mattress the other day, no tag on it, but it did come in a box.

Tolyn, don't know about you, but I wear glasses. I wouldn't be surprised if I inhaled some wrong stuff over the years doing demo because I would rathher be sneezing out black stuff than not being able to see due to breathing while wearing the dustmask and having moisture go up into my glasses.

Old 04-12-10, 04:23 AM
OMG, my wife bought one of those memory foam toppers for our mattress (putting off having to buy a new bed set), and it, too, didn't have a tag on it!!!! It 's a conspiracy to catch us with "removed" tags, I believe.

Old 04-12-10, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if I inhaled some wrong stuff over the years doing demo because I would rathher be sneezing out black stuff than not being able to see due to breathing while wearing the dustmask and having moisture go up into my glasses.
I was the same way when I was younger [and thought I was indestructible] As I got older, I started to see the value in protecting my lungs [my body started to scream at me ] A well fitting mask will do a lot towards keeping your glasses fog free. The biggest problem I run into while using a mask was keeping the paint over spray off of the lenses

Larry; it is a conspiracy! me thinks we best sit on the porch with a loaded shotgun prepared to run off the revenuers turned tag hunters

Old 04-12-10, 05:32 PM
You know those cheap dusk masks you can by in bulk? I know this carpenter who wears one often when around various dusts.

But I never have, as I was/am afraid that since they likely do not fit that well, that this could give you perhaps a false sense of security, and send stuff that got past the mask edges, deeper into your lungs. The reason for deeper is that as the mask gets moist, you will probably be gasping more for breath compared to if you had no mask on at all.

With smoking, it has been proven that deep inhalers have more lung issues than shallow inhalers. A deep inhaler is one that breathes in so deeply that not only do the lungs expand, but the stomach does as well, upon inhaling.

So if I knew I was in the company of hazardous air, I would/will only use a gas mask. These fit so well, if installed properly, with their nice soft rubber rim, that you cannot detect clorine gas in a room being washed in it! If that mask can stop that, you know it is stopping particulate matter, with no false sense of security.

That's my opinion on this, anyway.

Old 04-12-10, 07:53 PM
ecman, the paper paint masks are basicly junk, won't really do any thing. but masks with foam seals on the edges can work very well. however the seal is dependant on proper fit and that comes from training, not just picking it up and playing with it.

murphy was an optimist.

Old 04-13-10, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Since this is the DIY forum what about homeowners? They can change out their own windows, trim and whatever without training or following ANY rules. No HEPA filter vac, no hazmat suits. Yeah, they just want the money,

Did I mention !
Yes they can do it themselves without using any precautions, but knowing what I now do about lead poisoning I would take the steps needed to protect young children and pregnant women from the potential affects of breathing the lead dust.

Bill

Old 04-13-10, 05:16 PM
I was stuck in traffic in a previous life and noted an older gentleman mowing his grass with a mask on, apparently to keep the dust he was throwing up from getting into his lungs. He stopped once, pulled the mask off and started sucking on a cigarette!! I thought...how counterproductive.

Old 04-13-10, 05:37 PM
Back to the OP - basically every regulation the gov't comes up with is actually a good one, meant for our own good. But I have hard time wanting to live in a perfect world dictated to me by some regime that can fine and imprison you if you do not follow orders. I just have a hard time with that. Even if what they say is right. Maybe it's just me.

Old 04-14-10, 04:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, I've run across several people over the years that had allergies that necessitated they wear a mask when doing yard work. A friend of mine used to be married to a gal that chain smoked..... and had to regularly use an inhaler to help her breathe

EC, are you sure EVERY gov't mandate is a good one?

Old 04-14-10, 03:54 PM
Most government mandates can be "for the people" on paper. It's after it leaves and has to be implemented that all the crap starts. Let's see.....not wearing eye protection while sunbathing.....well, that's gonna cost you a fine, AND points on your driver's license.....and while only a misdemeanor, one more infraction will be classified as a felony, and you'll do jail time, buster.
I'm sure all have had the "architect" syndrome (my apologies to all architects on the forum or passing overhead). You get a set of prints, question why it all won't go together. The architect sends you a revised set. Things get better. Not until they actually get their wingtips dirty and visit the site do they see the error standing out like a sore thumb. "Oh" is usually the comment. On paper it works. Implement it and all heck breaks loose.

Old 04-15-10, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
EC, are you sure EVERY gov't mandate is a good one?
No. Not sure. But there usually is a rhyme to their madness, isn't there? Maybe not geared to the individual, but for the masses. I am now sitting here trying to think of federally mandated laws, and I am having a hard time thinking of any. Local yes. Federal, no. Yet there are probably thousands of them. Hit me with 5 or 10 and maybe that will get me primed. Pay your taxes? I thought of that one. Today, that is an easy one.

Old 04-16-10, 10:59 AM
Social Security would make more sense when people finally realize that it was not meant to be a sole source of income during retirement, not like I will ever recieve it unless I lose an eye or something like that

Old 04-16-10, 05:07 PM
It be interesting to know if social security always required the current working generation to pay for the retired, past generation. With a plan like that, that means you better not have a drop in the birth rate, nor have a big increase in unemployment.

Old 04-17-10, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it's always been that way. That's why the baby boom generation is expected to bankrupt the social security system.
Seems like I read somewhere the guy that got the very first SS check written received just a few dollars per month.

Old 04-17-10, 04:59 PM
I can't quite recall but isn't there something where people born between say 1917 and ? get gyped out of something others get? Can't recall what that is. Every once in a while you hear of it (whatever 'it' is).

Search this Thread