Spock

Old 04-10-10, 05:33 AM
Spock

Logic...Spock from Star Trek said it...not an exact quote..
Given all the facts what remains no matter how illogical/improbable must be the truth.
or maybe it is cannot exactly remember, but seems to work for me when diagnosing problems

I work in an industry where problems always occur and sometimes there are no logical answers and the fix does not make sense. Although I always try to approach every situation logically cause this usually fixes the problem, but when you have exhausted all logic then what remains must be the truth., or so it seems.
Of course the logic must have knowledge and experience behind it or it will definitely fail.
This is why I really like this site, cause when I run out of the knowledge I can come here or the internet in general to find it. It might not be the exact issue but it can lead me in the right direction.
I like the challenge of figuring out a problem and finally getting to the end result, very satisfying.
Thanks to everyone for this site

Last edited by 5dollaralien; 04-10-10 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-10, 08:22 AM
sorry for putting in wrong place

Old 04-10-10, 11:22 AM
You did post this in the right place.

Ya big trekky you! Did I spell "trekky" right? Is it "trekkie?"

Old 04-10-10, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Its neither...the acceptable term is "Trekker". lol

Old 04-10-10, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
5da,

Can you give us any or even one example of what you have ran into, where there is no logical answer, or logic - yet a remaining truth? I keep saying this over and over in my head and confusing myself.

I remember years ago my dad used to ask us how something disappeared, and none of us kids seemed to have the answer ............because he was standing there holding a belt. He'd say, "You think this thing just got up and walked out of here?" (There. A story of something that had no logic, to my dad. And he KNEW what the remaining truth was! (Gulp!))

Old 04-10-10, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
5da,

Can you give us any or even one example of what you have ran into, where there is no logical answer, or logic - yet a remaining truth? I keep saying this over and over in my head and confusing myself.

I remember years ago my dad used to ask us how something disappeared, and none of us kids seemed to have the answer ............because he was standing there holding a belt. He'd say, "You think this thing just got up and walked out of here?" (There. A story of something that had no logic, to my dad. And he KNEW what the remaining truth was! (Gulp!))
LOL, had a similar childhood, but the one I remember is where I was the one that did something wrong and my siblings did not. So my dad lined us up and would say "who did it" but of course nobody would answer, He knew who did it!! he would beat the least likely to have done it first just to teach me a lesson.

I originally posted this in the small engine forum but they moved it here.
I was referring to how in diagnosing problems with equipment things can seem very improbable but must be the answer cause everything else is accounted for or fixed or whatever.
What I do for a living is working in Vinyl window extrusion, the process has so many variables that when there is something wrong it could be a number of things, and you really have to have an open mind for new ideas. But you must eliminate all the normal causes which will most likely fix the problem but must be open just in case it does not. So I guess it will then next time be logical cause it worked before???
thanks for the replies
and yes I have been a fan of Star Trek since I was a kid, another thing that annoyed my dad.

Old 04-10-10, 04:09 PM
Is this de ja vu? or do I hear echos of NOP? Sorry 5da, it's a long story only the older ones will catch on to.
Logic leaves nothing to be guessed at. It covers all the bases. If it doesn't, it is flawed. That flaw in logic is what you are looking for. Ever tried truing a compass? Too much N or not enough E, then too much W throws off S. Just priming the pump.

Old 04-11-10, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Is this de ja vu? or do I hear echos of NOP? Sorry 5da, it's a long story only the older ones will catch on to.
Logic leaves nothing to be guessed at. It covers all the bases. If it doesn't, it is flawed. That flaw in logic is what you are looking for. Ever tried truing a compass? Too much N or not enough E, then too much W throws off S. Just priming the pump.
what is NOP? sometimes the abbreviations get me.
No never trued a compass, but what you said sounds just like what I was saying. when all logic is exhausted then what remains out of what should be a limited basket of ideas must be the case.
My job is basically a troubleshooting type, they call me in when the other operators can't do it. I always here "I tried everything" and usually they will miss the one most logical/right thing to do. The list of things are sometimes different for each tool/situation, nothing really engraved in stone. This is something that cannot be taught, you have to gain it through experience, but I try to teach it, but others just see the one thing and not the whole picture. My boss on the other hand teaches them list wise, if this then that and so on, this is ok until a certain point, then they call me.

This is why I use the saying from above, my dad always told me that that Star Trek sh*t will never amount to anything and I was wasting my time watching it when I could be outside mowing the grass or something. Look at all the millions that was made off of it. He would actually turn it off and threaten to beat my a** if I did not go do something. Oh well it taught me that I should be doing something now instead writing on the internet
good day

Old 04-11-10, 02:25 PM
NOP stands for NightOwlPunk (or some variation of that), a former poster who was banned for some reason unknown to me.

Old 04-12-10, 04:20 AM
5da, nothing to shadow your posts. It is just sometimes we used to get some way out posts from this other poster that caused us to have to put our colander hat fitted with wires to communicate to him. Glad you have the job you do. It seems like a challenge, but one you take with pride.

Old 04-13-10, 11:43 PM
I don't have a clue what 5da is talking about because logic ALWAYS prevails. I like not knowing what he's talking about! Need pot stirrers. Bring back nop!

Old 04-14-10, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I don't have a clue what 5da is talking about because logic ALWAYS prevails. I like not knowing what he's talking about! Need pot stirrers. Bring back nop!
That is OK, alot of people do not understand. I also think of the worst so when things work out for the best I am pleased. Or when they do not work out I am not disappointed

Old 04-14-10, 06:38 PM
Any more mass disappearing acts in Roanoke since Colonial times?

Old 04-14-10, 08:33 PM
what did NightOwlPunk do to get banned, I worked too many hours last year and didn't check in very often so didn't realize he was gone. Too bad he was almost as good as ecman for getting conservation started-LOL

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Old 04-14-10, 10:17 PM
If we don't have logic, what do we have? I am analytical and logic is critical within the aspects of my life. I have a bad habit of telling my coworkers what they are saying is illogical. A very hard habit to break!

Old 04-15-10, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
Any more mass disappearing acts in Roanoke since Colonial times?
I have only lived here for about 4 years so I do not really know the history.
Please tell

Old 04-15-10, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by chilly.az.girl View Post
If we don't have logic, what do we have?
Spooks. Not Spock - spooks! For honest - some guest once told my aunt that spooks must have did it, when my aunt inquired how the place got trashed.

Old 04-15-10, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I don't have a clue what 5da is talking about because logic ALWAYS prevails.
The logical answer is often overlooked by those lacking in experience. There can be some mystifying things to people who haven't the clue regarding certain things.

Take electricity, and say turning on a stove and having lights in the house turn orange for example. Stuff like that.

To a young person that has not experienced an optical illusion, they might see water go uphill. Or put them in one of those amusment park crooked houses once, and see what they think.

Old 04-15-10, 10:58 PM
ecman51`, Spooks. Not Spock - spooks!

Logic...Spock from Star Trek said it...not an exact quote..
Given all the facts what remains no matter how illogical/improbable must be the truth.
or maybe it is cannot exactly remember, but seems to work for me when diagnosing problems

Did I miss something here? Where did the spooks come from?

Search this Thread